Trillium v Burro v Egg v Casita v ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've done the research, read everything I can find, so now we have to decide:

We're looking to buy our first camper, we are a family of four, two tall adults and two teens, two medium sized dogs, primarilly looking for a convenient way to camp that helps us avoid tents and such.

The trailer would mostly be used in rv parks, though some forest (remote) use. We decided that we'd prefer space over convenience, so the bathroom is optional. We do need cook facilities, AC, and a gas furnace. Tow vehicle is a Kia Sedona V-6 minivan.

I'm a fairly handy guy, but I really don't feel like doing another remodel, already have lots of irons in the fire, so I want a low maintenance, easy to care for unit that has sleeping room for four.

It is likely that we'll be kid free someday, so another consideration is getting a unit that would also serve two adults for longer trips.

Without being able to see any of these units:
Which has the best build quality?
Which has the most bang for the buck?
Which has the best resale?
Does anyone make one with a rear access door?

Thanks!
Benjamin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Which has the best build quality?

You'll get as many opinions as there are models/owners.

Which has the most bang for the buck?

A good used model that suits your needs is likely a good answer to this one.

Which has the best resale?

They all hold their value surprisingly well.

Does anyone make one with a rear access door?

Not that I'm aware of.

That being said, I'd get a nice 16footer with a side dinette, and make the kiddies sleep in the van until they fly.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
At 6'2" I am comfortable in the center of my Trillium. The only other FG I have been in is a Boler (Scamp's/Casitas are similar) and it was too short for me. However, if you are looking at 13' trailers they aren't very big - if you have personal space issues then you will find them all too small for you. I can confirm that the bunk beds in these trailers are good for 1 teen and 1 adolescent but may not work for 2 big teens.

I am assuming you are looking at older trailers:

1. Which has the best build quality?

All of these older trailers were well built - it's really a question of how well maintained they are./

2.. Which has the most bang for the buck?

Prices really vary from location to location. All of the olders trailers (if maintained and bought for a fair price) will not deprecate much (if any) because new trailers just keep getting more expensive.

3. Which has the best resale?

See above =)

4. Does anyone make one with a rear access door?

Compact Juniors are rear entry
http://www.members.shaw.ca/nova1/compact_junior.htm
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Oops, I forgot about the Compact Jr's and their bretheren. I thought he was referring to something along the lines of a toy hauler rear access.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
They are all good trailers. I think that one vs. another is the wrong way to go about this. What suits one family may be totaly wrong for another.

What's available?
Which one is in the best condition for the age?
Which one fits your personal needs and lifestyle?
How far are you willing to travell to get what you want?
How long can you wait for Mr Right-one?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Yep, totally agree with you James. For example, in BC we hardly ever see Scamps or Casitas but there are a ton of Bolers/Trilliums and Bigfoots.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Benjamin, Paul, James and Booker gave you some great answers to your questions. But feel I need to add my 2 cents in on issues that from your post that may come up.

First whats the towing capacity of your Kia? That right there will determine the size and weight of the unit you will be able to purchase. Don't forget to take in consideration all the camping stuff we take along, bedding, ice chest, lanterns, pots pans, etc........................... Then 4 basically adults.

Finding a egg to meet your needs is going to be the biggest hurdle. I don't know of a newer egg being made that sleeps more than 3, though someone else may be able come up with one for you. And honestly I haven't seen a bunk in the older ones that sleep 4 that looked like a growing teen could fit in, again someone may know of one. But the ones I have seen are designed more towards small children.

You mentioned your spouse and you are both tall. I am 5'9 and the only egg I have walked in that I don't have to dunk is an EggCamper. Not that I am squished in a Casita. But with 4 people in my 17 fter I would be. You have to remember these little eggs were made for more compact camping.

Then you mentioned that your camping will mostly be rv parks, are you aware that some rv parks don't accept small travel trailers? As well as older units? (though I think that may change because of the economy)

As for being able to travel with just the two of you someday, depending on your camping needs just about any of them will do, give or take a few.

I am not trying to discourage you, (cause I Love fiberglass eggs) But I just want you to know that you may not find the exact match for you, and that you may have to compromise with a few of your wants and or needs to find just the right one. Like dragging a tent along for the kids to sleep in. It would be great if you could actually see a few in person, so you get the idea of what they are like. I do know that Casita has a program that gets potential "new" buyers into privately owned Casitas in your area, you may want to call Casita and see if there is anyone in your area that gives the tour. Good Luck!

Also, many of us have been known to knock on doors, wave people down to get a peek at the egg in there back yard or the egg they are towing down the road. I have given more tours in gas stations and mini marts. So if you no of one parked along the road, just go ask to see it. We are pretty much a friendly bunch and proud owners that don't mind. Best of Luck! Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
2 tall adults, 2 teens and 2 medium dogs in a little egg? You all must enjoy snuggling very much. Take extra deodorant but no baked beans.

Ok, I'll get serious. The beds in the widebody Burros and Eggcampers will be the longest, and those trailers will also give you more height. But I don't think any eggs 17' and under will give you room to sleep all those warm bodies. Maybe you can find a used 25' Bigfoot. Everyone says they are built really well.

Although there's something to be said for the earlier advice of letting the teens sleep in the van, or even having a tent just for them. Sometimes teens really like getting away from the "old folks" and enjoy the camping experience more when they feel like they have their own "private" space. In that case I'd go back to what I said about Burros and Eggcampers. You're not likely to find a used Eggcamper or a new Burro; so if you can afford mid teens $$ check out the Eggcamper built near Grand Rapids MI (I toured the place and they look solid & feel as spacious as you'll get in a 17 footer); or if you need to stay at a lower price point then keep an eye out (like on jaxed.com) for used 17' Burros.

Either of those are about a foot wider than the Casitas and Scamps, and I think you would appreciate the extra space.

Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #9
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Remember the Casita Liberty (either 16' or 17') makes into a long bed (fore and aft). This would be for the 2 adults, if the teens can be persuaded to bunk in the tent or van.

That's good advice to discover the amount the Kia can tow. (Definitely lets out the 25' Bigfoot!)

Good luck with your decision.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi, Benjamin & family, and

IMHO, sounds like a used Burro 17ft. widebody might be a good choice. With regard to Bigfoot trailers - they ARE well built, but methinks too heavy for your Kia.

Speaking to the 'empty nest' Egg in the future ... we are in our 3rd year of full-timing in our Scamp13 and lovin' it. It has everything we need - space is not an issue as we are generally outside 'cept for bad weather. We tow with a 2000 Mazda MPV which seems to handle the Scamp fine. No illusions about weight tho - we are VERY careful! When the time comes to replace this van as our tug, we'd go with another MPV, but Mazda is no longer building them with 6 cyl - down to 4 cyl for fuel economy, I guess.

We wish you success in finding an egg 'just right for you'. Take care, L 'n D
Old 01-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I just pulled out my Scamp brochure. I had forgotten that the 16' "layout 7" has the rear dinette (makes into about a 48" x 74" bed I believe), front bunks (bottom bunk will sleep one but I don't think the top bunk will hold a teen) and side dinette (good for a shorter teen, I think). FWIW.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
You just missed the unusual Casita in the referrals section that had the rear dinette bed and two sets of bunks, one set up front and one set on the side. The teens could have each had a lower bunk and the dogs could be accomodated in the upper berths. While those are rare, they do exist in most all brands.

The Burro WB 17 would be my choice though like many others have suggested and then build a reinforced front bunk to handle the extra weight. Course the tent or van option for the teens sure looks tempting.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
a teen WILL fit on the front bunk of a 17 foot Burro wide body. I sleep up there exclusively. Now, I am short, but I have dogs and they sleep at the end and I can still stretch out.

If you got on without a bath, there is a wide open space between front and back beds, you could put the kid you like the least on the floor on an air mattress and still have walking room.

here are some pictures of a "Dance Hall Edition" Burro.

He has put captian style seating up front, but they normally come with a 2 seater dinette/gaucho up front.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:52 PM   #14

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Robin,

What sort of campgrounds have you found that won't take "small" campers? And how do they define small? I have the same question for "old" campers (clearly they aren't talking about the human campers!)

I can already tell these woudn't be my kind of places, but I'm still curious about them. If you had a really cute, fixed up, Boler type trailer, for example... would they look up the year?

Sheesh (can you tell I'm annoyhed with "them" already?)

Raya
:tail switching:
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:27 AM   #15

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
, you could put the kid you like the least on the floor on an air mattress
Funniest thing I've read here yet. Haha.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #16

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
Benjamin -

Not meaning to throw ANOTHER wrinkle into your decision... consider a Scamp 5th wheel. We got one in Sept, and spent the first month on the road. There are jus the two of us, and plenty of room. With the 5th you get the upstairs loft for a bit more privacy. And the dinette of course make into a bed. And there is STILL room on the floor for that poor unfortunate child that nobody seems to love.

DOWNSIDE - you need to two with a truck, and w/ kids that means a quad cab. Regarding the kids... "teens" covers a lot of territory. 13/14 is way different from 17/18. Having been thru that phase, IT GOES BY FAST. Espec if they are already 15-16. Believe me, in a few years, things will start changing. So, **my nickel's worth** buy for the long haul, and "get thru" the middle phase.

B-t-w, I am 6'1" (just shy) and sleep well in the loft.

AND in additino to Casita's program, SCAMP has one too - where they will hook up potential buyers w/ existing owners for a look-see. AND just for kicks, depending on your time frame to buy, consider making an excursion to one of the gatherings. Lots to see and visit!

Good luck... it is a hard task.

Alan / Galt California
Alan Weinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #17

Trailer: Casita

My complements on the demeanor here. On the "other" board asking to compare just TWO trailers for value, quality, etc would have brought out a dozen keyboard weasels ready to vociferously prove (lecture) to you which one is the better.

Don't know how you all keep such an even keel.

Keep it up.

ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #18

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
Ron - Agree - and it is WONDERFUL

For example, tho we ended up with a Scamp 5th, I will acknowledge that Escape maked a heck of a rig, too. At LEAST as good as Scamp, if not better. So, why not take them? **FOR US** It wasn't the "right" choice.

I don't care for the slopeing nose.. the loft is already small, and I think the slope would make it too coffin like. Just my preference

I didn't really want to deal with a foreign company. First, I am sure the import is easy, but not as easy as bringing in from another state! 2nd. **IF** there were any legal issues involving the trailer, I would rather be in a US court and be a foreign national in another country's court system. 3rd, at the time, the relationship between $US and $CAN, it was above where I wanted the price point to be.

ALL very valid reasons for ME to make MY decision. BUT I fully recognize that others will go down a completely different path. The "right" decision is personal.

Let's all admit, that our friends and families with huge gi-normous rigs made a different decision. We are friends with two couples from Church - one has a Titanium 5th that has as many square feet as some small countries. It is WONDERFUL and BEAUTIFUL, and the perfect choice. For them. They love it. Our other friends have the really nice Motor home... Electric Everything. Again, BEEE-YOOO-TI FUL. Not my choice.

Given that, how could **I** all of a sudden say that **MY** choice is the only right one? It absolutely IS the right one.. for ME. Not for anyone else.

Different Strokes for Different Folks.

Alan Weinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Robin,

What sort of campgrounds have you found that won't take "small" campers? And how do they define small? I have the same question for "old" campers (clearly they aren't talking about the human campers!)

I can already tell these wouldn't be my kind of places, but I'm still curious about them. If you had a really cute, fixed up, Boler type trailer, for example... would they look up the year?

Sheesh (can you tell I'm annoyhed with "them" already?)

Raya
:tail switching:
Raya, there are many Rv Parks, Campgrounds and Resorts that don't allow a camping unit over 10 years old. Been the topic of discussion on many a post here as well rv.net. Most are lax about it, and will allow units that are kept up, but some are stringent with that rule. As I said, I think many will be changing that rule as the economy has effected their camper nights. Personally when Dh and I owned a park we had the rule and I loved it. It wasn't about keeping older units out. It was about controlling the icky situations you see in numerous campgrounds and rv parks. As a guest would you feel safe or even want to be in a campground/park that allowed run down rigs and all their junk parked next to you? Actually these type of campgrounds/parks are exactly where I want to stay. It's called pride in ownership! If the campground/park maintains their facility then I know I will have an enjoyable stay. Now for the ones that are real sticky with the rule, I don't want to stay there, had I wanted to I would have bought a million dollar bus, I didn't! Robin
Old 01-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #20

Raya, opp's I forgot the question about small. They define small by the length. I never had that rule! Though I have been in Parks that have it when we had a Class A. An example of a place that may have that rule would be a MotorCoach Park. It's really just a way of defining different camping/rving styles. As with my last post, I don't blame them for their rules, they are maintaining their property and providing a different level of camping/rving. Again, it's not my style of rving. It's just like certain restaurants that require a tie, yet you can go down the street and get the same dinner in a casual setting.Robin

Tags
burro, casita, trillium, eggcamper