An Egg Hunt - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Hello, We are not yet in a position to purchase our Egg but I still peruse sale listings to learn about condition, features, pricing etc. I'm wondering is there a more efficient method than individually checking here, ebay, Fiberglass-RV-4sale, a Craig's List multiple city search site like Search Tempest, Casita Club, and Google. It takes so much time esp when one can only search one brand at a time. I think it was in a discussion about flippers not long ago where somebody mentioned those folks have an efficient method of searching and finding the good deals so that us "common" folks miss out b/c they've already been scooped up. Am I doing this the hard way or is there a better way to see all the latest postings across multiple sites etc? How did ya'll find your Eggs (other than buying directly from the factory)? Are there more sites I'm missing? Being in florida if an Egg comes up in the East (Carolinas, VA, GA etc) I dont want to miss out.

TIA,
Melissa
Old 12-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
Try Jaxed, It will search on various lists.

http://www2.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?itm...amp;ys=&ye=
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Melissa,

The "Referral" forum here is great. Greg A and others do a lot of research and post their findings. Check with Greg, he is a dealer.

Try this link: camperfinds

Good Luck in your search.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
In addition to the above, I've posted wanted ads on Craigslist.org with pretty good results. In less than a week I've had four or five potential sellers reach out to me. Often people who are thinking about selling will scan CL and research what's out there, and find want ads.

So far, none of those I've found have been what I'm looking for. But the cool thing is, knowing that there are folks HERE interested in particular models, I can post the finds (with seller's persmission) here on the Referrals board.

I'll let that ad expire, though, because unless something cheap n' not-so-dirty lands in my lap, I'm probably going to wait until I have a bit more $ for a larger, newer model.

Another thing to do would be to put together an e-mail that includes photos of the types of trailer you're looking for, and a description, and having a few friends in your "hunting range" keep an eye out for you. You never know who's been driving past a for-sale trailer on their daily commute--not everybody who has old trailers lying around is net-savvy, and I'd bet there are a few folks out there who have a egg parked within view of the road who have no idea that it's worth more than some broken-down ol' stick trailer.

Good luck!

And by the way, I've been contacted by a fellow who has an "El Macho" trailer...looks pretty nice, cute custom paint job...kind of like a Scamp or Burro (haven't seen inside pics). I've encouraged him to post here. He's in Shasta, where I'll be zipping through in 2 weeks' time. A bit out of my budget for a non-self-contained 13', but oooh so tempting!
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #5

Thanks e'body for all the suggestions. I didnt know we had our very own FG dealer on here, how cool.

Ok, I'll bite, what is an "El Macho"? Is that what somebody named their egg???
Old 12-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Ok, I'll bite, what is an "El Macho"?
It was an actual [b]Brand of Boler/Scamp clone that was made in Mexico.
Link to list of all known 13' Brands, including El Macho
Old 12-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #7

Wow, that is one that had gotten by me, lol. Thanks!

Quote:
It was an actual [b]Brand of Boler/Scamp clone that was made in Mexico.
Link to list of all known 13' Brands, including El Macho
Old 12-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
IMHO by putting a want ad out there such as, I want a Scamp, Casita, etc etc etc. You are actually driving up the prices of the egg's for sale. Sellers for the most part now days compare their "for sales" with other for sales on places like craigs list etc. If they are seeing more "wants" than actual trailers availible for sale, that drives up the prices. Sure you might find someone who isn't computer savy and sell their "egg" for a screaming deal cause they didnt do their homework. But odd's are now days the seller is becoming as educated as buyers. And since I am one of those who liked the search process, I tend to search (though I am not as deligent as I once was on finding "for sales for the referral forum" I can tell you that there are times that the "I WANT TO BUY" far out number the "FOR SALES".
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Good point Robin, there has been a huge increase in wanted ads lately. However, once you know who the "flippers" and "restorers" are, what cities they are operating out of, and their emails and phones you'll discover that 80+% of those want ads are "flippers" and "restorers" who beat up the sellers on price. So the wanted ads may not be having much of an effect on pricing right now as one would think.

As is usual this time of year, the sales fall off and trailers are starting to sit for longer periods of time. Of course, the screaming deals move quickly all year round.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
When you find what you want you have to act fast or you will lose the camper.
When ours was posted on a Monday we were first and it was 900 miles away, but made the deal for cash in hand.
By Saturday when we picked it up 8 others were in line with cash trying to buy.
So visit some of the rallys out there and keep checking.
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:29 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Food for thought Greg, Scammer's are the worst, but hadn't thought much about all those "I want ad's" being flippers. The scammers are one reason I sent Melissa some search tips thru a Pm, don't want to help them out.

Hopefully just for the mere fact that Melissa has done her homework she will be able to find a great trailer for her family and not have to deal with all that.

D Tharp, Thankfully the sell before you could even inquirer days have seemed to slowed down. Even this last spring and summer seemed like Ad's would last a day or so, versus selling the first hour the craigslist ad was up. I was one of those looking in those days, and it was heartbreaking everytime I would find one only to call and it sold within 10 minutes of the seller placing the ad. Discouraging! But eventually I was the first one to call on just the right trailer. Woo Hoo..............
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:22 AM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
It was hidding out at the factory 4 months after we ordered it
Old 12-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Found ours on eBay. Bought one day, picked it up 3 days later.

1999 17' SD, bought in March 2004.

Couldn't be happier.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper