Egg vs. R-Pod - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #21

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
We looked at R-Pods and really liked the design and amenities. The on-line price was competitive also. My main concern was the roof seams, I view that as a huge future leak potential. We also looked at Tab's and A-Liners, but decided that Molded Lightweight Fiberglass was the way to go for us! We bought our used tab just a couple of months ago and don't have any regrets.

John
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Roger,
I just looked at the Chalet website and it appears they have a larger one now. We saw a little one years ago and it was too small for sure.
Does anyone here know how these units are? Or know someone who owns one? Are they better than the usual stick-built?
Lisa
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #23

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Roger,
I just looked at the Chalet website and it appears they have a larger one now. We saw a little one years ago and it was too small for sure.
Does anyone here know how these units are? Or know someone who owns one? Are they better than the usual stick-built?
Lisa
You might like http://www.rvtraderonline.com/find/browse/...per/make/chalet

I think there were a couple YouTube videos that were pretty cool

Regards,

Matt
Old 06-12-2010, 07:26 AM   #24

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Lisa J,

It appears that you are doing all the right things (comparing and studying all the different options). I went thru the same thing (took me two years). You will compare all the +'s and -'s of the different models and have a good idea of what will work for you. But once you make up your mind you should check a few, in person, that you are interested in. We had looked at a few that we thought would work for us (UNTIL WE ACTUALLY SAW THEM IN PERSON) and when we saw the EggCamper on the outside we both thought NO WAY (too small), but after sitting inside it just felt huge and right for us. We have had it over two years and have no regrets. So my advise is that after you get all the info, check a few in person. Then you'll know for sure which is right for you.

Good luck

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #25

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Lisa,

Here's a different idea: If you are thinking about retiring and full-timing in ten years, but want to go camping (some) now, what about buying an older, used fiberglass egg just to try out for awhile? If you choose wisely, and price accordingly, they are not overly difficult to buy and sell.

By actually using one, you will have the fun of camping, and also you will be able to form your own judgements on what is important and what is not important to you. For example, you might find that a smaller egg with a huge screen tent is a good way to go. Or not. But you will know what you like.

And, in the next ten years, a new or improved design might come out that you like even more. Also, you won't have to buy/maintain a truck for the next ten years either.

Just some thoughts

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #26

Trailer: Aliner
Quote:
Lisa
Lisa, I have a 2007 Aliner. I love the interior height and the ease of towing. But the frame is a stick frame and I have had several major problems with it. I also had to repair a rotting floor from a faulty water heater which had a slow leak. And I had to have a bent frame straightened and reinforced. Also, the windows are not glass, and my rear skylight has several cracks. I have read that the Lexan skylights have about a 7 year life span, so I will have to replace them all eventually. The Chalets do have glass windows, but you would still have to replace the skylights eventually, too, I believe.

The plastic windows fog over from slight scratches and weathering and have to be polished with a good plastic polish a couple of times a year.

I really want an egg someday because of the quality and the long life I would expect from one.

Hope this helps.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #27

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Lisa,
Keeping in mind that it's also possible to get a lemon when you buy new, if you're that worried about it, buy the EggCamper. It's the only one I know of that is currently being made that will be tall enough inside. This refers to the older style molded fiberglass type, of course, I'm not really familiar with the Escape and the Big Foots; way, WAY out of our price range so I didn't even look. Olivers are being made new these days, but they are really pricey, too, and I'm not sure how tall they are inside.

Just keep looking and comparing. Try to actually get yourselves inside some of the different models, and see how cramped or short they actually feel. You might be surprised at how spacious some of them really are.

Good luck on the hunt; don't give up. It took us nearly two years to find what we wanted at a price we could afford. Well worth the wait.

Pamela
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #28

Hi again All,
Thank you again for all the input. Especially about the A-Liner. We looked at RVs today and the only one we liked at all was the bigger Chalet. But I read some horror stories online last night about them, so we would never go there. The tall ceiling is something my husband really liked, and all the light. The Rockwood Minis he just thought were too small, the ceilings too low, and crouching in the shower doesn't sound like a good idea to him. We both thought they seemed very cheaply made, the chemical smell was bad. The ceilings were 6'6" in them. So I'm not sure he'll like any of the eggs. We may have to go back to our original idea of a tiny-house (cabin-on-wheels). I wrote to Escape trailers in Canada, to see if there are any owners down here that could show us their trailers. We don't want to drive up to British Columbia unless we are buying one. The fifth wheel has tall ceilings on one side, but only 6' on the other. I may still try to go to the Egg Camper factory next time I visit my parents. I don't think we'll be looking at any other stick-builts at this point. Today was disappointing. We mostly saw different Forest River products.
Lisa
Old 06-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

I see by your posts that you live in Ca. If it is So Ca, Trilliums are now built in Brea, CA. Maybe you could run over there and have a look and discuss your concerns with the mfgr. Contact information here:

http://www.trilliumrv.com/

(Not that I am prejudiced or anything.)

Tell them Roger sent you.

PS: They now also make a 15'!!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:52 AM   #30

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Casita
If you want to see Escapes, or a large variety of other fiberglass rv's you should visit the Oregon Gathering in July in Bandon Oregon. They will all be there.
Kathy Davisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #31

Hi all,
Ray wrote me a nice long letter telling me more about the Egg Campers, and I think we are now leaning toward a 19' Escape instead. Though the headroom is great in the Egg, it sounds like the insulation isn't as thick as in the Escapes. They are better for camping than full-timing. The windows are single-pane also, whereas the Escapes have a double-pane option. I like that permanent 80" queen bed in the 19' Escape, the only one I've actually seen (and that includes in the stick-builts). I heard from Tammy that there is an owner in Pollock Pines, about 3 hours from us. We'll try to view their trailer and see what we think.
Thank you all for your thoughts.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #32

Registry
Raya L. wisely said:

Quote:
Here's a different idea: If you are thinking about retiring and full-timing in ten years, but want to go camping (some) now, what about buying an older, used fiberglass egg just to try out for awhile? If you choose wisely, and price accordingly, they are not overly difficult to buy and sell.

By actually using one, you will have the fun of camping, and also you will be able to form your own judgements on what is important and what is not important to you. For example, you might find that a smaller egg with a huge screen tent is a good way to go. Or not. But you will know what you like.

And, in the next ten years, a new or improved design might come out that you like even more. Also, you won't have to buy/maintain a truck for the next ten years either.
I think the above advice is extremely important!

I've been researching trailers for a while now. I'd like to full-time at some point in the next few years, and for that I'd love a used Bigfoot or an Escape for their amenities and insulation. I also adore the Oliver, though in fact they have been out of production for about a year now, with no reliable indication that they'll resume production...it's the economy.
http://olivertraveltrailers.com/

In the meantime, I'm probably going to buy a used molded fiberglass trailer to "tide me over" and allow me the valuable experience of learning what I want, what I require and what really doesn't matter to me.

I love Tumbleweed Houses, too--they're expensive, though, and yes--you'll have a tough time finding places in California where they meet code, or conform to park regulatios. They're really heavy, as you know, and very prone to wind issues when on the road. Living near the designer, you've probably had a chance to tour them, so...

Your honey's height is something to consider, especially in terms of shower space. Because of that, I am going to (*gasp*) consider that you look at Airstream. We have a new dealership in our area, and I've stopped by during errand runs to explore them at length

They're very expensive, and they certainly have their own issues, but they have heavenly headroom. Most of their models have roomy, separate showers.

You might be able to find a late-model used unit within your range, but be sure to have it thoroughly checked out. There is a reason why Airstreams found on bulletin boards are often gutted.

Also, please be sure to read the many threads here on appropriate towing weights for vehicles. You'll probably end up getting a truck if you're going to full-time in a trailer, unless you do resign yourself to one of the bantam eggs (did I just make that up? If so, can I have a cookie?) or (ew) folding hard-sides.

Welcome to the forum!!!
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #33

It is all what your consideration on your wants and needs. The big TRAILER people say for full time you need nothing less than a 32 footer and it will cost over $ 65000 new and is heavy. Take it from there what you want and need. Outside you have all the headroom you want in a screen 12 x 12 room. I lived in a boat with 6' 2" headroom and I am 6' 4". It got old. Inside shower sitting on the head.

What ever you can deal with is what you need. EVERYBODY is different. If you need a 4 seasons (staying in temps below 30 dgrees for days) Trailer then the EggCamper is not for you. Happy hunting.
James V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:37 AM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

We spent 6 weeks in our Homelet from Jan 28 through Mar 12 and didn't find it confining at all. It is where we sleep. Our up time is either spent driving to our next destination or out looking at where we are, for example Hearst Castle or Winchester house. Most campgrounds have showers and we found the Good Sam ones to be clean and neat. If you plan on plopping down at one location and 'living' in your trailer, then by all means buy a bulge mobile, but if you plan on doing a lot of traveling and sightseeing, then I reccommend an egg. I am writing to you now from the Outback RV Park in Rochester, WA.

I just love the convenience and light weight of our Trilliium 1300. It is easy to move by hand, and doesn't have a lot of room to keep clean. Then you always can visit relatives and a small RV will fit in more driveways than a huge one. Don't be a victum of "2 footitis".

There is also this: if you buy a smallish egg and don't like it, it will be easier to unload than a bigger RV. Just witness the sales going on on this website. If you buy a big one and don't like it, you may just be stuck with it. I understand the bottom has fallen out of the used RV market, except for the smallest ones because people want to save money.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #35

Michelle mentioned Airstreams. We hadn't considered those because the look of all-metal doesn't appeal to us the way it does to some. Have any of you had experience with Airstreams? Or had friends that owned one? Will they leak as fast as the other types of stick-builts? I'll go to their website and look at the floorplans. We can't afford a new one, but I've seen used ones on Craigslist.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #36

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
I don't think there's any questions that Airstream builds a quality product but they're generally pretty pricey. The smallest new Airstream, the Bambi 16', has a list price north of $40k. That's about twice the cost of a new fiberglass. In good condition, a used Airstream is also going to be more expensive. But the biggest problem with an an Aluminum trailer is that in my section of the country, we get some ferocious hail storms. In our little eggs, this is no problem. But I've seen pictures of Airstreams after hail damage and it's not a pretty sight.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:05 PM   #37

Trailer: 2000 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Let me second the motion to seriously consider buying a "well loved" Casita or Scamp or whatever. We bought our "new to us" 2000 Casita Freedom Deluxe in May, 2008. She's not a bright and shiny on the outside as a new one and doesn't have an awning (yet) but we only $7500 and could tow it with a Chevy S10 V6 pickup. The virtue of pre-owned if it's been well cared for with no pets or smokers is that there's no "new trailer" smell and any manufacturing defects have already been corrected. Also the previous owners may have made mods to the trailer that are beneficial - in our case a shelf under the sink/stove area and the mattress they had purchased was included. We've been really happy with our Casita. We've added laminate flooring and a power tongue jack and are planning to add an awning and a generator before we retire.

I believe we could sell our Casita this year for at least as much as we paid for it. The Fiberglass trailers really hold their value and last.

The one thing I would NEVER do is buy a used trailer sight unseen. You can negotiate over the phone, come to a verbal agreement, and agree to pay cash money but it MUST be contingent on the trailer being the quality it's advertised to be when you see it in PERSON.

Good luck on your search.
Paul T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #38

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Any trailer brand or trailer type... bar none... can have a problem or two. Any trailer you choose can involve some compromises. But it sounds like you're on the right track in looking at Escape. I've seen the Eggcamper and think it would be good also, but like you say you would prefer double pane windows and more insulation. Have you considered a used Bigfoot? They are another 4-seasons FG trailer, well thought of in terms of quality.

Airstreams built a reputation for quality over decades, but some say the durability is not quite as good as it used to be (I have no personal experience, just what I've read). But they tow easier due to the rounded shape and are stable thanks to a low center of gravity. And of course the co$t, wow!

I've long admired the shape and functionality of the A-frame trailers, but as you've read, the quality isn't there. They can leak, they can delaminate, etc. I've been in some, and they flex quite a bit just based on how level the parking area is or who's stepping around in them... the fit of the panels is affected by this flexing. Not good. The frame is compromised under the door area, too.

I also like the design of the R-Pod, and they look nice inside. But expect to get about 3 or 4 MPG less with them. And of course they have seams like any stick built trailer. I would expect prices to be a few thousand less for a 2 or 3 year old model... eggs hold their value better over the years, is what I'm trying to say.

Having to stoop in the shower might not be the end of the world. It's a 10 minute thing at most, after all. Maybe your hubby can sit down during most of the shower anyway.

About buying a trailer without a dealer network, and repairs: FG eggs are pretty stout with little to go wrong. The stuff that can have problems, like gas or water lines, appliances, etc. is stuff that any RV repair shop can handle. The appliances are common to the industry. So you need not run back to the manufacturer for any repairs you might need down the road as the trailer ages. You can get it done locally... or if handy, DIY in many cases. So don't let that stop you from buying an Eggcamper or Escape or any other egg.

About Eggcampers, I've been to their place and looked at them, and was impressed with what I saw. If you talk to Jim, ask him if he can add double pane windows and such. He probably could. I hope you get to stand inside one (and inside the shower!) before you make your final decision. But if you fall in love with Escape, you will be doing ok there from all I've heard of them.

Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #39

We have owned 8 campers, no eggs. You can expect most of the lower end travel trailers R-pod to give you 4 or 5 years before they start separating - floors, leaks, etc. They require a lot of upkeep and always expect hail since we have seen it everywhere we have traveled. We had Fleetwood, Forest River, Jayco, Winnebago and Coleman. I would never buy anything but an egg unless I were building my own.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #40

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Although this is a late posting, I still would like to add some opinions. I have owned 5 trailers in the past 3 years, all by different manufacturers. My T@da, (the T@b with a shower) was nicely built but the interior was 5'7" and there were manufacturing issues, it like the R-Pod, has delamination issues. They are not fiberglass walls but filon or alumifiber. Water leaks will destoy them and they are full of seams. My last trailer before my current EggCamper was a 2010 Lance 1880, big and heavy and well built. But, like the bigger 19' Escape, my gas went from 18 mpg to 8 mpg while towing. The dual axles will cost you triple in tolls. Dual pane windows are nice but heavy.
I can put sunshades ( those aluminum bubble windshield dash items) in my Egg's single pane window and get the same benefit without the weight. With a Wave catalytic heater I do not need hookups and with an interior water tank I'm not concerned with cold weather.
The Escape's 2510 # weight dry is without options, adding thermal panes and a/c and some other common will put you around 2800# plus propane etc. you will be approaching 3000# plus your "stuff" will be maybe another 200#. I read somewhere that 1000# will mean at least a 10% decrease, in my case the Lance was around 3800# and the egg is around 2200 lbs and the gas was 50% less.
So if you are going to be towing a lot, you need to consider the weight for gas and tolls. If you are going to be sitting then this will not be as big an issue.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper