Egg Shapes, one more roomy than another? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Egg Shapes, one more roomy than another?

Hello! I was just noticing the difference in the Burro/Uhaul Lines vs. Scamp/Boler etc lines. It looks to me at least in pix that the Burro/Uhaul is a bit more streamlined and not as round as the Boler etc. family. Does this affect the interior space any? It "looks" as though the rounder Eggs have more usuable space i.e. elbow room etc but maybe i'ts just how they photograph. Can anybody weigh in on this thought?

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Here are some thoughts based on my knowledge of the Boler and the U-haul (which is a Cloud/Burro clone).

1) The rear benches/bed on the Burro/clone might have a tad more room in the rear corners, but I'm not sure.

2) The U-haul (and I assume the Burro) have a narrower closet than the Boler/clone by about 5" or so; I think the entry door is a bit wider on the Burro/clone but maybe not the whole 5" wider.

3) The front couch on the U-haul (and I assume the Burro) is quite a bit less deep, front to back, than the Boler/clone. If you have the couch back/bunk in place and you put it down to be the couch back, you literally have about a 12" deep seating area, whereas on the Boler you have a "normal" depth couch (because the egg rounds out in the front middle). If you remove the back/bunk completely on the U-haul, then you have a sittable couch, but have to come up with something for cushions. With the back out of the way (flipped up or taken out), you have a 28" wide bed in the front of the Boler/clone at the midpoint. I would imagine the Burro/clone would be about 20-22" or so (?). But then maybe Burros don't typically have front bunks and couch backs? I'm not sure. Just about every U-haul I saw had the bunk/back removed and I wondered why... then I bought one and saw the wee couch and realized why.

4) The Burro/clone has a flat floor front to back, whereas the Boler/clone has a sunken middle floor. This makes the Burro/clone a bit taller overall (as in, overall outside height). I don't know whether the Burro/clone has more inside headroom than the Boler/clone; I imagine they are relatively close.

Those are some differences, space-wise, between the Burro/clone and the Boler/clone.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
It looks to me at least in pix that the Burro/Uhaul is a bit more streamlined and not as round as the Boler etc. family.

Can anybody weigh in on this thought?
Rounder front-to-back? or side-to-side?

Here is a link to a comparison photo that's in our albums:
Gulf Coast Spring Fling 2009
Old 08-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #4

Awesome pix, but I dont know which trailer is which make, lol. I was thinking the Boler and it's relatives were rounder around the middle where as Burros and their relatives are a little more straight down the sided when looked at from the front/back. They dont have as much as a bulge.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Not 100% sure, but I think most of the small eggs Boler/Trillium/Uhaul etc. are pretty close in size at their widest part (7' I think), so it is just the loss of area as the trailer becomes more curvy. More rounded shape on exterior = less interior space. The Oxygen comes to mind as the extreme example of this as interior space is very reduced at the curved ends (but a cool trailer none the less...) Trilliums are more boxy shaped so they might feel like they have more cupboard space than the Boler types.
The Bigfoot trailer (except 13') is a Big Foot larger at 8' wide - makes a big difference to the interior storage space.
You could have a look through the albumns on this site to get acquainted with the different trailer models (see "albums" link at top of your screen).
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Melissa, we haul a 13' Trill with a 06 Sienna...great combo! We winter in the state parks in your great state for 3+ months. One thing we enjoy about the Trill is the amount of natural ventilation. We have 12 linear feet of three- pane jalousie windows! Coupled with a Fantastic Fan and a "Phantom" retractable screen door we are rarely (if ever) in need of A/C. Came pretty close in Vermont this summer in Burlingtons 105 degree heat wave...but most of the time we enjoy Mother Nature's breezez.
Good luck with your search.
Alistair & Inge in The Road Toad
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply! We really like the Trills and Hubby thinks they should feel more open with the flatter design and those wonderful windows but are concerned about additional drag the squared off trailer would create. How does the Sienna do at climbing hills? What do you average mpg towing? Do you know the tongue and overall trailer weight trip ready? Do you have electric brakes? What hitch do you have on your Sienna? Sorry for all the questions but we just got this van and want to set it up right and have it well matched to the trailer. Too bad you cant double trailer as there is a nice Trill for sale in Ontario with the perfect custom bunks for my kids, lol. Do you have any pix of your trailer hooked up? Does it need airbags to level the rear? We're here in Melbourne, Fl (about an hour East of Orlando on the coast) if you're gonna be in this part of the state this winter I'd love to meet you some place and see your set up and you Trill as we've never seen on in person.

Thanks for all the info!
Old 08-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
We don't even know that the Toad is behind us! We've towed with an 02 Sienna and this new O6. The two tugs both had the factory installed trans cooler and we never heat up or labor the engine. I like to run the interstates with the traffic...no need to tick off those behind us.or cause problems with frustrated drivers passing us..and the A/C is usually on too. My MPG is around 16...( thats with two kayaks on the roof of the Toyota and a tandem bike on the rear of the Trill) I get a bit more at lower speeds on secondary roads. We've been to California once and to the Appalachians numerous times, along with East coast trips too... never had a problem in the mountains. Descending I will use lower gears in the auto tranny but most of the time we just take it out of O/D and use motor braking.
The Trill is posted at 1200 lbs and I guesstimate that to be up to 1600 when we travel. Tongue weight is around 150-180lbs on the "bathroom scale" method.
Don't have airbags..I remove middle seats and load heavy stuff there...keep light stuff at the back. No electric brakes ( needed them once..in Big Bend National Park TX!)...we use a Toyota installed factory class 2 hitch with a 1 7/8" ball.
Bought the Trill 7 years ago from the original owner who had taken it all of 500 miles total!! my best guess is that we've put nearly 50,000 km (30000 miles) on it since then.
I'll be in the Keys (6weeks) and Koreshan, Gamble Rogers S P s for another 4 weeks, and on the Okechobee locks for another few weeks.
Sorry no pix on this site, but pm me with your email address and I'll send some to you.
Cheers...Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:09 AM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Now that the Trillium is in the mix I'll mention that they do have more room inside than either the Burro/clone or the Boler/clone. (I had though the OP was asking about only the latter two.)

I do enjoy the roundedness inside the Boler, as that is kind of unique (like an Airstream), and there is a certain charm to being in a less-square space. But the Trillium is a bit wider and taller inside, and does have more opening windows.

The Boler is very nice to tow. The U-haul is close, but a bit higher and a little more trailer above the tow vehicle. I thought the Trillium was a tiny bit less wonderful to tow, but not by much (and in fairness, that trailer had two propane tanks on the tongue, so more tongue weight). I could maybe feel a little bit more "buffeting," say when a tractor-trailer passed. The Trillium does stand a bit higher overall, plus the more square corners, and so it presents a bit more face above the car. But it's not extreme.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:01 AM   #10

Thanks everyone for the detailed description of the differences in the various eggs. So far we've only managed to see in person an Egg Camper and 17' Casita here in FL in person. We do want a usable couch in front as we will probably leave the rear bed made up while traveling and use TV trays to eat on for the kids on the couch and us on the bed when the weather (or bugs) are too bad to be outside. The Boler and relatives are cute as a button and we love there shape and look but need the most space possible. We originally had decided against a Trill based on the buffeting, higher ride height above tow and more frontal area having been mentioned in other threads. After getting info from a member who has the exact same van as ours and who has traveled so many miles and terrain with the Trill/Van combo I think we can put the Trill back in the mix. Of course most seem to be in Canada, lol. Thanks everybody and keep the great info coming.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #11

Hi Alistair, I sent you a PM with my contact info. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Awesome pix, but I don't know which trailer is which make, lol.
Gulf Coast Spring Fling 2009
Old 08-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Molded trailers are small, no matter the shape... unless you go to the larger BigFoot models... 21 and 25 footers. Due to cabinetry, etc. it doesn't matter the shape as you're confined to the aisle way. It's not like you can get close to 99% of the walls in any shape. I believe it's more the "feeling" of openness, etc. that people experience in straight-sided trailers. Having a bed that's large enough to be comfortable... now that might be the real "difference." YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #14

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
I might as well add my 2 cents in this discussion, though much good info has been given.

We started with a '87, 13' Burro, pulled it with a '95 Previa. I have been inside 13' Trilliums and found them to feel about the same size. The Burro felt larger, but that may just be a feeling perception, I find the white, smooth rounded walls of the Burro to give a feeling of more openness and space. It is a matter of personal preference, any real difference is too small to matter. The Burro, and I imagine any 13', is so light there should be no problem towing it with your Sienna.

We now have a '06 Escape 17' and pull it with a '06 Sienna. The larger trailer does feel heavier, more drag by comparison, but the Sienna has plenty of power to tow it. The biggest difference is Siennas are low and even with a higher mounted hitch we occasionally 'scrape' when pulling out of a short incline, like a sloped driveway. Some Sienna owners put airbags underneath to raise it up, but the Toyota dealer we talked with did not recommend this so we went with the higher hitch.

I totally agree with Donna, ALL molded fiberglass trailers are small. To me the Escape feels like a 'Cadillac' compared to the Burro, and I miss the smaller trailer, (but not when rain keeps us in more than out!). The main interior difference is that we are pulling around the shower we wanted. But large as it seems to us, when in the real world we are still a Lilliputian trailer/RV!

Look around, step inside, imagine life there, get what you feel good about, what appeals to your aesthetics, your Sienna will do fine with any of the trailers you have mentioned. Take measurements, when we 'up graded' width mattered as we are tall and wanted longer beds - which meant either a 17' Burro, Escape, or Egg-Camper. The 13' Burro was a bit wider than other 13'.

Enjoy the search, and dream of the fun and adventrues!

Penney
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #15

Thanks Penney for your input. Sometimes it is more about perception than actual space. With a 14 yr old, a 7 y/o and a 6ft 280lb Hubby and myself at 5 ft and "average" weight it will probably come down to what feels the largest and most open whether or not it actually is like you said. We would really prefer a larger model but dont want to stress our van or myself as I'm the one driving. Any idea why the Toyota Dealer advised against the airbags to level the load? I've read where lots of folks use them so I'm curious why it could be an issue. We too really want a bath model esp here in FL when the State Park bath houses are unairconditioned and it's 95 degrees outside with 95% humidity and it feels like you're stepping into a steam room. As soon as you get out of the shower and attempt to get dressed (with e'thing sticking to you) you feel like you need another shower. Or when we're "Walmart Camping" on the way to WY each summer we'd like a bathroom in the night. The more input we get the more we're leaning towards the 16' with a bath model. I told Hubby today that if we got the bigger trailer and we felt it was too much we could always sell it for probably close if not all of what we paid for it and get a smaller one. At least we tried and would know for sure. What hitch did you go with? I havent got my van tow ready yet. Down here in Fl there are not that many Eggs to see and be able to step in to. So far I've only been in a 17 ft Casita and an Egg Camper. We like the Egg Camper but they only sleep 3 since they dont offer a bunk model. It did seem nice and open and bright for sure. I'm planning on attending Scamp Camp down here in Feb so hopefully I'll see more makes/sizes in person then.

Keep the info coming, please!

Thanks so much for your "2 cents".
Old 08-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It won't be long and the 14 year old will be looking to have a tent next to the trailer... trust me it happens quicker than you think. Have you considered building a bunk in the EggCamper? I've seen pictures where folks have built a bunk over the side couch model Casita so the trailer would sleep four. It doesn't have to be a permanent mod, and if done with forthought (think cot on tall legs), you'd be able to dismantle it for storing or when traveling... without the kids.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #17

I wondered if a bunk could be installed in the Egg Camper. I've seen them modified in the Casitas that way. Any idea why it's not an option in the Egg Camper brand? Has anybody put one in an Egg Camper? As far as the tent idea goes it's just too darn hot here in FL in the summer for sleeping in a tent. We even were going to get a futon matress and fold the seats down in the minivan so she'd have the security of hard sided walls but keep running into the same problem of no way to cool it. Down here you have to have A/C 9 months out of the year at least. A fan just wont do it.

Keep the ideas coming! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It won't be long and the 14 year old will be looking to have a tent next to the trailer... trust me it happens quicker than you think. Have you considered building a bunk in the EggCamper? I've seen pictures where folks have built a bunk over the side couch model Casita so the trailer would sleep four. It doesn't have to be a permanent mod, and if done with forthought (think cot on tall legs), you'd be able to dismantle it for storing or when traveling... without the kids.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #18

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Do you mean a second bunk?

It looks like it would be a challenge in either floorplan with the overhead cabinet and angled cabinet cantilevered over the space to add a second bunk with much over four feet of footroom, unless you extend the bunk almost to the edge of the existing bed, or angle it somehow. Maybe they could build it as a special without the angled cabinet or modify it to remove it? Then you wouldn't have to bring the bunk out all the way to the edge of the existing bed.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #19

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, good point Matt. See, I knew there was a good reason, LOL. I may be able to special order one with 2 bunks but I'm not looking to spend that much for a brand new one. Plus, if there isnt a demand for such a floorplan resale might be difficult once the kids are gone and we dont need the bunks any longer and want to switch out. I sure like that big bed in the Eggcamper though, lol.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
When it comes to "open feeling," headroom can make a big difference. Did you happen to feel like the Eggcamper seemed more open? I've been in them and they seemed more roomy to me. It has about the highest ceiling of any FG trailer, I think.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper