My before and after pics of my vintage Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Saskatchewan
My before and after pics of my vintage Boler

Hi all, I have a few finishing touches but pretty much here it is! Now that it is done I all ready know it will be too small for us. I have more pics if any one is interested. The finish is an automotive paint and clear and the interior cushions have been re done with marine vinyl and all new foam. I had a two tone vinyl concept design done with the cushion backs using a copper color v insert. We repainted the interior with a combo of auto paint and marine enamel. New flooring and electrical. New stove and fridge. The fridge is 110v, picked up at a local chain retailer. Fits real well and less costly that an ice box. Anyway now that this is done and the season is over we will consider selling. I think the next one will be an Airstream. Mark in Saskatoon
Attached Thumbnails
boler start 1.jpg   boler start 2.jpg  

befor and after 2.jpg   boler done 1.jpg  

markbergen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 AM   #2

Saskatchewan
A few more interior pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler done 3.jpg   boler done 4.jpg  

boler done 5.jpg   boler done 6.jpg  

Old 10-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #3

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
Stunning!
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Ooh, that's a flat top? Rare! It would be fun to see photos of the roof and the inside ceiling, just 'cause they are unusual.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #5

Saskatchewan
Wow, thanks for your comment. I had no idea that the roof was different. It has no insulation inside. I suspect it is old because it also had no serial number. Only one Boler name tag remained above the electrical on the exterior.
Thanks Mark
Old 10-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #6

Hi Mark,

The flat-roofed Bolers were only made for a limited time and were the first Bolers made. I'm not sure for how long or how many, but I would guess 50 or so and all in the 1960s? They also did not have insulation, as you have noted. I've heard of a few other differences, like frame/bumper, entry door hinges, etc.

The newer ones still have the same flat roof at the sides, but there is a more rounded, center "ridge" that is about three feet wide and runs front to back. I would guess it adds about 3" of headroom in the center, but I'm not looking at my Boler right now.

Edited to add: Just found this on Boler life - not sure how accurate it is as there is no source, but here it is. This would indicate that you have a 1968, and maybe one of the first 40 (although supposedly they all had the Ensolite added, and plus someone could have removed it).

The initial 40 units had a bare shell, however due to condensation problems he recalled them and used, Ensolite, a product manufactured for airplane cockpits to insulate the trailers. He convinced them to shave the stock 2" thick material down to 3/16", it had to be cut into sections to fit the curves of the shell. He used 3M double sided tape to cover the seams, the sticky surface on the outside of the tape was rubbed with talcum powder.

The first 100 units manufactured in 1968 had flat roofs, then the arched roof was introduced to extend the head room.

In the second year about 150 units were produced in a new facility in Winnipeg, Manitoba, 400 to 500 units were manufactured in 1970.

Also, here is a thread on a flat-roofed Boler (#99) that goes into some more detail, if you are interested. I see you have the original style door hinges on yours too. I wonder what number it is!?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/boler-099-1969-flat-roof-33303.html
Old 10-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
That is very sharp! Why not use a tent too? I would hate to have made such a classy camper and then immediately get rid of it.

Of course, this is CindyL speaking who traded her 13' Burro for a 16' UHaul within a year and a half of acquiring it. However, our Burro redo was not as classy looking at your Boler redo.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #8

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
That is very sharp! Why not use a tent too? I would hate to have made such a classy camper and then immediately get rid of it.

Of course, this is CindyL speaking who traded her 13' Burro for a 16' UHaul within a year and a half of acquiring it. However, our Burro redo was not as classy looking at your Boler redo.

CindyL

Yes you have a point. I really should give this more of a chance. Also I am not sure if I could get back the investment....
Plus it's so easy to tow...
Old 10-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #9

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Hi Mark,

The flat-roofed Bolers were only made for a limited time and were the first Bolers made. I'm not sure for how long or how many, but I would guess 50 or so and all in the 1960s? They also did not have insulation, as you have noted. I've heard of a few other differences, like frame/bumper, entry door hinges, etc.

The newer ones still have the same flat roof at the sides, but there is a more rounded, center "ridge" that is about three feet wide and runs front to back. I would guess it adds about 3" of headroom in the center, but I'm not looking at my Boler right now.

Edited to add: Just found this on Boler life - not sure how accurate it is as there is no source, but here it is. This would indicate that you have a 1968, and maybe one of the first 40 (although supposedly they all had the Ensolite added, and plus someone could have removed it).

The initial 40 units had a bare shell, however due to condensation problems he recalled them and used, Ensolite, a product manufactured for airplane cockpits to insulate the trailers. He convinced them to shave the stock 2" thick material down to 3/16", it had to be cut into sections to fit the curves of the shell. He used 3M double sided tape to cover the seams, the sticky surface on the outside of the tape was rubbed with talcum powder.

The first 100 units manufactured in 1968 had flat roofs, then the arched roof was introduced to extend the head room.

In the second year about 150 units were produced in a new facility in Winnipeg, Manitoba, 400 to 500 units were manufactured in 1970.

Also, here is a thread on a flat-roofed Boler (#99) that goes into some more detail, if you are interested. I see you have the original style door hinges on yours too. I wonder what number it is!?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/boler-099-1969-flat-roof-33303.html

The link isn't working for me so I'll look the hard way! Thanks very much for your comments! As I was working on this people would drop by and talk about these units. One guy was surprised that my water tank was under the table bench seat. The frame at the front also seems to be higher under the front bench.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
looks great !
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #11

Mark,

I don't know why, but the link appended my name onto the end of it, and even though I edited it off, it seems to be clinging. So, if you go to the link, then just go up to the address bar and take "raya" off the end, then reload, you should get to it.

Raya
Old 10-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Here is a fresh link to the thread Raya points to:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oof-33303.html
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #13

Name: Gary
Trailer: Looking
Ontario
Amazing job.
Gary the kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #14

Thanks, Roy - I don't know why that formatting would not come off, but I tried many things!
Old 10-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #15

Saskatchewan
Wow this is a great source for information! When I get back home this weekend I will double check the frame for a serial number. I will also check to see if this bumper was an after thought by some one. My spring loaded vent is over the sink side. The name plate I have has a red kind of finish to it and says Boler 1300 Winnipeg..., then the electrical info.

Also thanks very much people for your compliments on our project!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #16

Name: Lorraine
Trailer: 1972 13' Boler
New Brunswick
Registry
WOW!!! I am jealous...it looks wonderful! You've got a little gem!
Old 10-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #17

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
What did you use for the door seal ? Auto part ?
Old 10-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #18

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel, Bouchard View Post
What did you use for the door seal ? Auto part ?
It is a bulb windseal from a Gm Sierra (I think) Not the best fit, kind of tight and with these hinges there is no adjustment. Looks nice if you can work with your hinges.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #19

Saskatchewan
Hey all, now that I found out where the serial numbers were stamped, I found mine. simply it is 123. No zeros in front or after. The font size looks to be large, just under about 1/4" tall. Can any one offer any information on this? Thanks Mark
Old 10-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #20

Saskatchewan
I noticed today the serial number is 123. I also looked at the bumper and it was an after thought. It has been bolted onto the main frame. This way the steel channel clears the bottom of the shell. I suspect if it was factory it would have been welded

Tags
boler