Installing a window in your "Egg" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Installing a window in your "Egg"

Has anyone had the experience of installing a window in their fiberglass trailer where there was none? I would love to have a small, porthole or oval window on my back wall. I have no idea where to buy these and if there are any hidden problems with installing one? Thanks for your reply.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #2

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Truck Accessories,Auto Accessory,Van Parts,Truck Center
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry

Here is what I did, albeit to the front end of mine, but the fiberglass doesn't know which end it went in on. Did this shortly after I bought my Casita. I too, wanted to be able to see out front without having to go outside. It's one of the best piece of mind mods I did.

The company I ordered my window from is:

Peninsula Glass Company
6005 N.E. 121st Ave.
Vancouver, WA 98682

(Ask for Jeff)

Their phone numbers are:
(Toll-free) 1-800-468-4323
(Local) 1-360-892-2029
(Fax) 1-800-213-1274.

My particular front security viewport window is: 10" wide X 6" high, Series 1600 single pane, rectangle, stationary, black anodized frame, solar grey tint, 2 1/2" radiused corners, 1 5/8" wall thickness. They are a good company to work with, they understand RV and trailer windows, and they'll fabricate whatever size and style you want, all to your specifications.

Here is a link to their website: http://www.motionwin...on-vehicles.php

Greg
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's been all kinds of discussions about the lack of front and back windows in the EggCamper. Remember, you've got an inner AND outer shell to content with. I'd contact the manufacturer for tips and advice.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Oftentimes boats have a fiberglass liner, such as the U-hauls, Burros, and I believe your Egg Camper (but I have not seen an Egg Camper in person). Typically one fills the gap between the shells in the window install area so that the window frame/trim itself does not compress the gap (which would cause leaks among other issues). On boats we usually use thickened epoxy, but sometimes other things, depending on the set up of the liner. So the choice would be somewhat dependent on the exact construction details in the area where you want to put the window through.

Other possible issues would be making sure you had a flat mounting surface (or making it flat), and, if the window were an operable one, thinking of things such as how the water would interact with it (for example, sometimes on boats the cabinsides slope, and then water can collect in the spigot, if there is one).
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I also had to contend with a "double wall" construction when I mounted my front window. It not only goes through the outer shell, but also the inner molded shower enclosure. Both of which have "rat fur" backing, so there's two layers of glued-on carpeting in the sandwich. I also added additional spacer bracing in between the two laminates to prevent over-tightening the window frame halves in order to get a good seal. Don't forget to seal the frame and mounting surfaces well prior to installation.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Be careful, too that you have a flat enough surface to create a sealing flange area to avoid leaks! Most trailer manufacturers provide a wide, flat insert area where windows are intended to go. If you don't have this, and choose a window that is too large or gets into a compound radius, you may have problems sealing, or even fitting. You could check flatness from the inside with a piece of rigid material like thin plywood, cut to the shape of the window frame. Press it up against the inside of the trailer, and mind the gap!

Also, you could have vents, plumbing, wiring or even some structural bracing in the proposed mounting area. It's something to think about before you cut, and Donna's right, the manufacturer can be a big help (if yours is still in business, that is!)

Regards,

Matt

Tags
windows, eggcamper