UHaul Maiden Voyage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
UHaul Maiden Voyage

After working on my UHaul for the past 6 months, I finally got a chance to camp in it - just an overnighter to check everything out.

• After arriving at the campground and unhooking the trailer the park employee asked me to drive back to the entry gate. I left the trailer sitting there on it's wheeled coupler jack. You guessed it. When I came back the neighbors excited told me that a gust of wind had sent it sailing out into the camp road. Note to self: Don't let anyone rush you before you block the tires!
  • Pulling with my Escape hybrid, I got 22 mph going with a 17' canoe on the roof and the AC on. There was a fair wind - flags standing out straight from the pole. On the way home, with less wind, I got 25 MPG. I can live with that. The new 10' brakes work great and integrate with the regenerative braking nicely.
  • It was too windy to try out the 10x10 screen tent. I'll need to learn to gauge when it needs to come down, lest it end up in the next county.
  • I've overachieved with my refrigerator improvements. The night before we left, I ran it on gas "high cool" and it was 19*F inside (60*F overnight ambient). This was with no fans running inside or out. When camping with food in it, the fridge stayed about 32*F when the outside temperature was 80*F or so on "Med cool", gas. I'm not sure if it is the extra insulation or the tight baffling around the heat exchanger, but I'm happy unless my stuff freezes.
  • Most importantly, DW and greyhound were happy campers. Beds suited both of them and trailer was not too hot or cold.

Now for the real test later this week.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #2

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Great report!

Thomas, where are you going next week?
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Great report!

Thomas, where are you going next week?
Thanks. I'll be camping in national forest campgrounds in the upper peninsula of Michigan.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #4

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Thanks for sharing your maiden voyage

Your first outing was more civilized than mine! I did not even have a fridge installed yet but went anyway with a cooler instead. ( Flamingo in the Everglades National Park last Thanksgiving for a few days)

I am getting between 23-25 mpg with my Mini Clubman IF I stay under 55mph. Once it was up to 28 for awhile but had a good tailwind...I have heard it is easier on your auto transmission if you do not run it in overdrive
with changing grades as causes too much downshifting. Don't know if that is true but I plan on doing that if in hilly areas.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:26 AM   #5

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
Glad your trip and overnighter went well! Congrats. Now to hear about the real test later this week.
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:51 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
It's always a good idea to use the camper once in a while, otherwise they'll discover the real reason you own it. Let me know if you want my recipes for frozen lettuce. Good luck on your outing. When you get home you might want to add a place for you to sleep too. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
hmmmwind blows the camper,,,, i'm visualising a crabclaw sail and a tiller steering swivel on that front jack wheel,,,,who needs a tow vehicle?
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #8

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
HA! Sounds like you need an anchor. Great maiden voyage Tom, you earned it now enjoy it! So glad you will be in the National Forests...I have seen them in pictures only, beautiful!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
.........When you get home you might want to add a place for you to sleep too. Raz

Good point. There is not that much head room under the trailer.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #10

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
I am glad you got to get your feet wet be for your trip, sounds great, have fun next week.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uhaul