Planned Escape 19' modifications - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #21

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Just wondering why do you need an extension cord to hook up the surge guard ? And is there any problem using a less expensive unit like this?Progressive Industries 30 Amp Portable Surge Protector from tweetys.com

Because this is a [relatively expensive] portable devise that is susceptible to theft. You can protect it from theft in 2 ways:
  • a plastic box manufactured by Surge Guard surrounds the devise at the hookup pole. It costs between $21 -$27. But online reviews of this product indicates that it is cheaply made and can easily be broken apart.
  • an extension cord which will reach from the pole to your trailer's cabin via the battery cubby hole. You can hook up the extension cord to the surge protector and the surge protector to you power cable. Since your surge protector is locked inside your trailer, it is less likely to be stolen. As far as a potential thief can tell, the extension cord is your power cable. A 25' cord costs around $25-$27.

There was a thread regarding the ideal length for an extension cord. It was concluded that 25' is the maximum length before quality of the current is compromised. (I'm not being scientific, but that was the gist of the discussion).

Based on that thread, I got a 25' cord. And that length has always been more than enough to reach any power source.

If you are not worried about theft at the camp grounds you frequent, than you can hook up directly and save yourself $25.

Another option is to have a wired in surge protector. But that has disadvantages for the smaller trailers. So, I opted for the extension cord.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Sorry if I missed it, but what is a "EMS"? What do the letters stand for?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but what is a "EMS"? What do the letters stand for?
"Energy Management System"
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Progre...p/emshw50c.htm
here is the 30 amp link
http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw30c.htm
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #24

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Thanks to Jack & Jane for your replies back with info, both make good sense. Jane that still is a very good price for a 25' extension cord.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W. View Post
Per Jim's advice, I recently purchased the surge guard model. It is a great test, pre-camp setup.

Jim, Where did you get the7-pin protector, and the gutters? I would like to install one on our casita.

We are planning to attend the October Rally so I will talk to you more about things, after this week of camping we hope to make some mods to our Casita and get something larger.....

Consider me in line for this 19 as well if you ever sell.

Don and Brenda
D&B
Here is the 7 way plug protector site
Plug-Guard : Plug Guard : The original patented Plug-Guard : Plug-Guard™ : 7-way Plug-Guard™ : 6-way Plug-Guard™ : 4 & 5-way Plug-Guard™
the gutters came from CW
See you guys next month......
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:43 PM   #26

Name: Judy
Trailer: 13' Scamp "La Cucaracha"
Texas
Smile

[QUOTE=Jane P.;331660]It just so happens that AdventureRV is having a sale on that portable Surge Guard:

Portable Surge Guard 120V 30 Amp - $219.79

This price of $219 is about $60 less than Amazon.com.

You can also pick up a 25' extension cord for about $26 to secure the Surge Guard in your trailer.
------------------------------
I know this is an ancient thread, but I was worried about theft of the almost $300 EMS I've bought. I found this thingy that, although the cable can be cut ~ if it is ~ a loud alarm will sound. Also has a vibration sensor that sets off the alarm! (Haven't seen them discussed on this site)

In the Amazon reviews, it's said to be quite sensitive, too. So, just jiggling it to cut it or to remove the batteries will set it off. Cable is 31" long, and I'm going to get one and wrap it around the EMS, through the "locking bracket" and feel a little safer.

QUESTION: Is there an issue with removing the EMS if we leave the trailer during the day??? (total newbie here)

This is an eBay link, but Amazon has them for a little over $26. Yeham Anti-cut Burglary Digital Lock With Alarm for Bicycle Motorcycle Lawn Door | eBay

Tags
escape