Full timing Uhaul CT, or at least what's left of it. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #1

Name: Cat
Trailer: Uhaul CT
Maryland
Full timing Uhaul CT, or at least what's left of it.

Hi there!
My name's Cat and I travel all over the country with a fair circuit.
I perform, work as a chef and a baker, and run my own bone jewelry business. It's a lot like traveling with the circus.

I'd been tent living for years, and coveting little trailers I could pull without much hassle, but they were always out of my price range.
I finally found a 1984 UHaul CT in my range and the description looked good. I had to broker the deal over the phone for it, figuring it would be worth what I paid in parts alone. It looked perfect for me and my dog

Ho man did I get in over my head though! The trailer is all but a shell.
The fridge is just a fridge door, the converter and wiring is gone, and I'm a little nervous to fully investigate what is going on with the propane lines. It's all solar, but that can become an issue when it's parked for 2 months at a time.

I'm new to trailers, and needless to say, I have a lot of questions!
SnappleofDiscord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Welcome to the Uhaul family, SD. I am not sure I can help you, but I am sure others will pipe up. Our Uhaul needs electricity. Yours has clearly been set up for boondocking.

The original Uhaul had a cooler, not a refrigerator. Could that be what you have?

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome. You will get lots of help here.

Post pictures and ask lots of questions. The UHaul is a well built trailer and with a little help, you can make it whole again.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Cat: I'm preparing ours now for spending 3 months this winter in it in the south, Georgia and Florida. Since your furnace has been removed you want to be sure that line has been removed or properly plugged. When I took our furnace out, I replaced the "T" fitting under the floor that routed propane to the stove and furnace, with an elbow fitting [ 90 degree fitting] to get propane to the stove. Any connection should be checked with soapy water, and the stove valves themselves can leak too. And when it rains do your windows leak, that seems to be typical of the Uhauls. They are a nice little trailer when refurbished. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Welcome to the group! I have a CT that is in pretty good shape, thanks to the refurb by the previous owner. Definitely the best thing to do is take us on a photo tour of your camper. There are scads of folks that will be able to help you out!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #6

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Cat

You have a good one. The UHauls were built tough for rental service so, if the frame, body and running gear are intact everything else can be repaired, upgraded or replaced. For now think of it as a hard sided tent that you can live in while doing the repairs or upgrades.

As someone mentioned previously you should check the window seals. They are a common problem for trailers that age but can be repaired somewhat easily. Get a good book on 12 volt wiring or look up an article online called "The 12 volt side of things" to get an idea of what you can do for wiring. Since you mentioned that there is no wiring I am assuming that you have no lighting so go with LED lights from the start.

Even a hollow egg is a big step up from tent camping. You could end up with a very unique custom traveling home.

Don't be afraid to ask questions on this site. You'll find someone who has previously done any repair, upgrade or renovation you have in mind. Have fun.

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #7

Maryland
Thanks guys! All the positivity about the solid nature of the CT takes some of the edge off the sheer amount of labor I'm finding needs to be done.
Photo tour sounds like a good idea.

And thanks for the good advice already!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #8

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Happy UHaulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappleofDiscord View Post
Thanks guys! All the positivity about the solid nature of the CT takes some of the edge off the sheer amount of labor I'm finding needs to be done.
Photo tour sounds like a good idea.

And thanks for the good advice already!
Welcome Sir!

If you have not already done so, you can get the manuals downloaded for your CT trailer from the documents section of this website.

Also there is:
www.uhaulcamper.com

for more info...
All the Best!
Old 09-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #9

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Ms. Cat

Realized my mistake in addressing you as Sir. (was looking at your Avatar) Forgive me Ms. Cat and all the best with your renovations, etc.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Hey Cat, check out this thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post331624

His Scamp was not gutted, but really rebuilt it. That is one of many examples on the forum as you search that show you how they redesigned their campers. You are only restricted on a Uhaul by the molded furniture if yours still has it, so you can look at this and other examples for ideas and directions on how to get going.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:41 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
HI! to FiberglassRV!

Pictures? Do you have any pictures to share?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #12

Maryland
Pictures coming soon! Much of my traveling work involves taxidermy, and I've been using the trailer as a stuff hauler until I get a bed in it. It's not exactly photogenic at the moment.
All of these readings have been awesome too, I can see how people become so loyal to the little Uhauls.

Tags
uhaul