New old stock uhaul side windows - Page 11 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #201

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
The only caulking required would be to seal up those two small holes at the top.
Mine still leaked until I caulked the seam between the bottom of the window frame and the weather strip. Water collects in this seam and if there is any gap anywhere, it finds its way inside. So, if they leak, check there first.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #202

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Tom; didn't you use the 1488 weatherstrip that has the wider gap than original? Could that contribute to leakage. I've found that water will wick in the smallest unexpected places. I had a leak into the right front storage compartment that turned out to be from a stone chip about 3 inches up from the bottom of the body. It was real small, but rain running down the side would get in there and puddle inside. I still have an occasional leak around the front window that I just can't see where it originates.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #203

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Tom; didn't you use the 1488 weatherstrip that has the wider gap than original? Could that contribute to leakage.
Yea, good point Bob. But if it leaks, I'd still look at this juncture as it holds water that wants to flow downhill.

Quote:
I've found that water will wick in the smallest unexpected places. I had a leak into the right front storage compartment that turned out to be from a stone chip about 3 inches up from the bottom of the body. It was real small, but rain running down the side would get in there and puddle inside. I still have an occasional leak around the front window that I just can't see where it originates.
Wow, that's amazing how a stone ship can leak so much. Another argument for drainage in the bottom.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #204

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Best advise:
1. One of the people installing the window should have strong man hands... I don't know if I could have done it on my own. My hubby did the really hard work of fussing and fighting and easing the gasket around the window from inside, while I worked on tucking and adjusting from the outside.
2. We used really sturdy butter knives as our 'tool of choice' with the assist of the tools that I borrowed from Bob.
3. We kept the gasket warm until we installed it, and then put a heater in the camper so that it would stay warm. If we had needed it, we'd have also set up a small heater outside blowing on the window frame to keep the rubber gasket soft and pliable.
4. Once the windows were in the gasket, I used a brush to apply the super soapy water inside the groove where we were sliding in the lockstrip. Using a brush kept the mess to a minimum. I didn't need to slop it all over, just brush it into the groove.
5. READ all of Bob's instructions, they are PRICELESS! Thanks so much, Bob!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #205

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Best advise:
1. One of the people installing the window should have strong man hands... I don't know if I could have done it on my own. My hubby did the really hard work of fussing and fighting and easing the gasket around the window from inside, while I worked on tucking and adjusting from the outside.
2. We used really sturdy butter knives as our 'tool of choice' with the assist of the tools that I borrowed from Bob.
3. We kept the gasket warm until we installed it, and then put a heater in the camper so that it would stay warm. If we had needed it, we'd have also set up a small heater outside blowing on the window frame to keep the rubber gasket soft and pliable.
4. Once the windows were in the gasket, I used a brush to apply the super soapy water inside the groove where we were sliding in the Ms Pam and lockstrip. Using a brush kept the mess to a minimum. I didn't need to slop it all over, just brush it into the groove.
5. READ all of Bob's instructions, they are PRICELESS! Thanks so much, Bob!
Ms. Pam and Mr. Bob,

Thanks very much for sharing these valuable tips which will undoubtedly save us a lot of frustration when we do ours!

This has been an amazing thread from the iniitial discovery, our purchases and, now, even how to install these NOS side windows!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #206

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Pam: I'm not sure if I posted all my instructions to you on here, or sent them in a PM. Thanks for the compliment, and your feedback on your installation experience. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #207

Name: andrew
Trailer: 17 boler
Ontario
uhaul parts

Is there anyone out there that bought new windows that would sell me some parts off there old windows?

Thanks
Andrew
andrew78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #208

Name: Robert
Trailer: CT13
Indiana
I a couple of side windows.

Robert
Higginra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #209

Ontario
windows

Hi Robert

Do they still have the side latch that lock the window shut to the screen?
If so how much and would you ship them to florida?

you can pm or email me if you want
Capt.a@cogeco.net

Thanks
Andrew
andrew78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #210

Ontario
here's a picture of the latches
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0050.jpg   DSCN0051.jpg