a little rough but worth fixin - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2012, 08:38 PM   #1

Name: andrew
Trailer: 17 boler
Ontario
a little rough but worth fixin

i was so happy to find this forum. i bought a project uhaul on chance that i would have time to fix it and now i can't stop. my wife keeps telling to post pictures, so here goes.

it had some damage to the passenger front. it looks like some jackknifed or cut the corner a little too sharp. started the fiberglass work. the outside needs a good cleaning aswell
Attached Thumbnails
PA310206.jpg   PA310212.jpg  

PA310209.jpg   PA310210.jpg  

andrew78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #2

Ontario
no decals, no frame, no axle, just the shell.

the back window is missing one of the panels. does anyone know if you can buy them or would be looking at replacing the window?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
After much searching I finally bought a new rear window from Scamp for $160 plus shipping. The opening in the fiberglass had to be widened by about 1/2" on each side and the clamp ring installed backwards. Our rear window was in real bad shape, and this worked real well to resolve the problem. You can get glass cut to size, but it is tempered glass and expensive, or you could go with plexiglass. And also consider the condition of the glass channel and the screen. I'd go with the new window. What ever happened to the frame? Ours also has had front damage that was repaired some time ago, probably when it was still a rental unit.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Welcome Andrew and Congrats on your new project! Your wife is correct, post pic's (we love pic's of projects) Believe me, you won't regret all the hard work. Your very close to createing years of memory's.... Enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #5

Ontario
hi mary and bob

i will look into the windows from scamp.
the frame was a total write off. it never had a axle when i got and the frame was about 60% rusted through. hole though the whole frame. it look like the previous owner cut the axle off with a torch .
Old 10-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #6

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Another Phoenix rising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew78 View Post
no decals, no frame, no axle, just the shell.

the back window is missing one of the panels. does anyone know if you can buy them or would be looking at replacing the window?
Mr. Andrew,

Great to see another CT being rescued! Thanks Indeed for the pics which
help to motivate many of us. Doing a frame restoration is quite an undertaking and will be a major accomplishment, to say the least!

I replaced a damaged front window with bronze Lexan and found out later I could have gotten the tempered glass made as original at the site listed here and it would have been cheaper than the Lexan!
https://secure.onedayglass.com/ordernew.php?step=3

All the best with your restoration!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #7

Ontario
i was wondering could someone tell me approx size the original tires were on ct-13 uhaul.

thanks
Old 11-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
i was wondering could someone tell me approx size the original tires were on ct-13 uhaul.

thanks

I think original were about 165 x 13. I have 175 x 13 on mine now.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I put Carlisle ST185/80D13 tires on ours.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #10

Ontario
If i could get help with one more thing, Could someone when they have time get a measurement for me. I need a measurement from tire to tire. outside measurement is fine. so when i buy an axle i have the right size as the originals

thanks again, you guys are awesome
andrew
Old 11-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #11

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Looks like you've got your work cutout for you, but you'll be happy when finished. There is a lot of help (sorry not physical) on this site and ask away. You be suprised what info is availible here.
Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #12

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJR View Post
Looks like you've got your work cutout for you, but you'll be happy when finished. There is a lot of help (sorry not physical) on this site and ask away. You be suprised what info is availible here.
Ron

not physical... you live on ontario, i live in ontario. i can bring it to your houseto work on it. my wife is kicking out of the garage as soon as the snow flies
Old 11-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #13

Quote:
If i could get help with one more thing, Could someone when they have time get a measurement for me. I need a measurement from tire to tire. outside measurement is fine. so when i buy an axle i have the right size as the originals

andrew

I gave this a pretty close look when I modified my UHaul to accept standard spindles. The clearance seems tightest from the inner lip of the wheel well to the outer sidewall of the tire (at least with the standard 13" tires).

I'd suggest using two vertical levels to measure the maximum width to both outside tire walls. I'd leave at least 1" to 1.5" clearance to the wheel well on each side. You can find the actual dimensions of various tire sizes on line. A standard zero off set wheel would be cheapest and easiest to replace.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #14

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:

andrew

Did I miss the part where you got a frame?????

I'm thinking that would be a necessary step to take before buying an axle...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
If it has'nt already been mentioned, this site has the u haul manual in the documents section. It could be a big help to you. Also- The original uhaul axle has a metal tab in the center that attaches to the frame. Quite different than most. It shows in the manual diagram. Lots of luck with your project. Mike
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #16

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Did I miss the part where you got a frame?????

I'm thinking that would be a necessary step to take before buying an axle...

Francesca
I was thinking if i knew the width the axle when i made a frame, i would make sure the frame is in the right spot to weld to axle bracket. i don't know if that matters though. the other option was to find a frame and modify it.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #17

Florida
Registry
Quote:

andrew
Mr. Andrew,

#1 Measurement without rim/tires:
I have two of these CTs and one is up on blocks awaiting some restoration. I tied two plumb bobs to the lug bolt studs up against the
spacer plates and got 69.5" from outside of spacer to outside of spacer when reading the tape measure on the surface. The spacers are .250 (1/4") each so the actual OD to the hub plates appears to be at approximately 69".

#2 measurement with rims/tires:
My other CT has Carlise SD 175/80D13 Sure Trail ST, which replaced B-78-13ST tires. The approximate OD to the outside of the tires is 72.5". This results in a wheel well clearance from the outside of tire face to inside of the wheelwell of approx. 2.250" and from the inside of the tire face to the inside of wheel well of approx. 3. 50".

Good hunting for the right axle!
Old 11-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #18

Florida
Registry
A balancing act!

Mr. Andrew,
A thought occured to me that if you are not too concerned about originality it would seem easier to work backward from a set of rims/wheels positioned in your wheelwells and then determine with their particular offset and bolt circle what axle might fit...The original 13" UHaul wheels have an unusual 5 lug 4.75" bolt circle and unique offset that only a few other wheels, like old Corvair rims, come close to. Some readily available 14" rims with a common bolt circle and decent hubcap potential maybe? I like your challenge and it's balancing act!

Sticking with a torsion axle would seem to be easier but I really like Mr.Toms suggestion to get one with future back plate attaching flanges in case you ever wanted to add brakes (which I know would be a definite advantage up north in certain areas) Not a concern for me, however...
Old 11-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
Mr. Andrew,
A thought occurred to me that if you are not too concerned about originality it would seem easier to work backward from a set of rims/wheels positioned in your wheelwells and then determine with their particular offset and bolt circle what axle might fit...The original 13" UHaul wheels have an unusual 5 lug 4.75" bolt circle and unique offset that only a few other wheels, like old Corvair rims, come close to. Some readily available 14" rims with a common bolt circle and decent hubcap potential maybe? I like your challenge and it's balancing act!

Sticking with a torsion axle would seem to be easier but I really like Mr.Toms suggestion to get one with future back plate attaching flanges in case you ever wanted to add brakes (which I know would be a definite advantage up north in certain areas) Not a concern for me, however...
I totally agree. Go with standard, zero offset 13 or 14" wheels. I'd definitely go with brakes since you have a blank slate in front of you. Brakes are not expensive and add a lot of safety and versatility in terms of tow vehicle and add resale value.

The original UHaul frame was close to the wheel lips which necessitated the unique offset wheels. I think it is a good idea to configure the axle dimensions and the frame dimensions simultaneously so that you can use standard components.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #20

Ontario
i'm so excited!!
i hit the jackpot today, not the lotto but pretty closes. I found a frame!!!
it is off a rockwood freedom pop up trailer that had the roof crushed by a tree.
frame is very close, will need some minor cuts put nothing major. the length is perfect and the axle is in the exact same spot. and the bonus is it has brakes. stripped the whole trailer in about three hours. lots of extra goodies.
i can't wait to get uhaul off the ground,

Tags
uhaul