UHaul Converter and Electrical Panel Upgrade - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
UHaul Converter and Electrical Panel Upgrade

I decided to replace the old UHaul converter with a smart converter . The converter does not come with an integral fuse panel, but I wanted some unique features, so I made my own.

I installed the PD9245 upside down under the furnace. That makes use of otherwise dead space and frees up storage space in the rear under bench compartment. The new panel is installed over the battery cover. It is attached with two wing nuts and one thumbscrew making it easier to service the battery without tools.

The panel features a digital ammeter and voltmeter, a switch to turn off my solar panel input and 8 circuit breakers. Six of these are used and two are extras for any added accessories. The ammeter and voltmeter only display when the red button is pushed, eliminating unnecessary current draw.

First photo is looking rearward into hatch by door. Second photo shows converter looking forward from rear hatch. Third photo is of electrical panel. Last photo shows ammeter and voltmeter displays lit up.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4018.JPG   IMG_4016.JPG  

IMG_4012.JPG   IMG_4015.JPG  

Old 02-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
PD has dined out long enuf on your recommendations. Bout time you bought one.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
PD has dined out long enuf on your recommendations. Bout time you bought one.

jack

You get one free from PD with every 25 shills, I mean, recommendations.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #4

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Okay, after thinking about this, I understand now, You have condensed things, multimeter, circuits, solar on off to a single unit, and all out of dampness, easier to reach than the different locations that many of us have. Good job!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Okay, after thinking about this, I understand now, You have condensed things, multimeter, circuits, solar on off to a single unit, and all out of dampness, easier to reach than the different locations that many of us have. Good job!
Thanks.

Yes, it was a compromise location for the panel. It would be nice to see the readouts all the time without lifting the bench top, but I couldn't think of a clever way to do it without cutting any new holes in the FG. This was especially true for the ammeter, as it has a shunt that must be mounted close to the battery.

Very heavy wire was used for the 3 feet to the new converter location, so the new location shouldn't cause any functional issues.

I wanted an off switch for the solar power so I could independently see who much it was charging vs the converter or the TV when towing. Also if I work on the wiring in daylight, I needed a way to shut off the solar power from the circuit to avoid accidental short circuit damage.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I don't see Airstream going to ankle bone displays any time soon but I understand.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, uhaul