S.C. Mystery Uhaul Solved - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #21

Name: Rhonda
Trailer: 2003 RVision Thumper by Stratus
Colorado
Chris at Uhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Maybe Chris Jones can shed some light on the numbering system. He works for UHaul.

Photos came through great. It looks pretty original and whoever owned it seemed to respect it.

Can anyone get me in touch with Chris Jones at Uhaul. I have been trying for a couple of weeks now to get a title for my 84 CT13 but have had no luck. I'm trying to sell it and keep having people turn me down after several emails back and forth because they want the title.
avsnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsnut1 View Post
Can anyone get me in touch with Chris Jones at Uhaul. I have been trying for a couple of weeks now to get a title for my 84 CT13 but have had no luck. I'm trying to sell it and keep having people turn me down after several emails back and forth because they want the title.
Fiberglass RV - View Profile: Chris Jones

You can send Chris a private message from his profile page, though I'm not sure why you think he can help with this.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #23

Colorado
Quote:
Fiberglass RV - View Profile: Chris Jones

You can send Chris a private message from his profile page, though I'm not sure why you think he can help with this.
I figured since he works at Uhaul he might be able to get me in the right direction at to see about getting another title for it "That's all". Im new to this Forum stuff have not quite learned all the ins and out of it to search profiles of Members.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #24

Quote:
I figured since he works at Uhaul he might be able to get me in the right direction at to see about getting another title for it "That's all". Im new to this Forum stuff have not quite learned all the ins and out of it to search profiles of Members.
I understand. I think the place to start is with your state's department of motor vehicles. Ask them about getting a replacement title.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #25

Colorado
Quote:
I understand. I think the place to start is with your state's department of motor vehicles. Ask them about getting a replacement title.
That was my first stop and it was opf no use. I don't have the information of the previous owner. Bought through a guy who buys and sells old campers in Kansas. He never got a title from that owner and we have not been able to track this guy down for the past couple of years. Without the previous owners info and concent to do a reissue of the title through Kansas. I can't get anything through my dmv here in Colorado.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #26

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Ouch ! You might want to check with your local Sheriff's Office and tell them the situation and see if they can help. They should be able to run the VIN # and find the owner and a address. And hope it's not stolen. Good luck.
papa-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #27

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I've heard that you can license a trailer in Maine online with no hassle. A restorer in PA has gone this route because his home state DMV was so difficult to deal with. Does your state have any provision for licensing a trailer as "homemade". I know every state is different, but here in NY the right answer to the question "has it been in your possession for more than one year", is yes. That's how I got our 1946 teardrop licensed. I've seen an ad in an antique car magazine that I get for some outfit that will get you a title for any vintage car, maybe they can do trailers too, although I've heard they were very expensive. I'd look into the Maine thing. There is some info on it on the tnttt site.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Must be really encouraging to know that some states make it really easy to license stolen trailers.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #29

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Must be really encouraging to know that some states make it really easy to license stolen trailers.
You just need to know the right answers to the questions. But maybe knowing the sheriff deputy on duty there may have helped a little.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #30

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
So I heard that they onl made 13' and 16' VTs. I also heard the entire length is measured fro bumper to end of hitch. Mine is 18' so is it still a 16VT?
Yes it is just like mine and it is about 18' ball to bumper. Does it have the aluminum or fiberglass bumper?
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #31

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
Ouch ! You might want to check with your local Sheriff's Office and tell them the situation and see if they can help. They should be able to run the VIN # and find the owner and a address. And hope it's not stolen. Good luck.

I already ran the VIN through a National database and it does not come up stolen, so that is good new.

Thanks Rhonda
Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #32

Quote:
I already ran the VIN through a National database and it does not come up stolen, so that is good new.

Thanks Rhonda
Every state has a process for getting a new title. What exactly did your state officials tell you?

I see this:
http://www.dmv.com/co/colorado/replace-lost-title
Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #33

Colorado
Quote:
Every state has a process for getting a new title. What exactly did your state officials tell you?

I see this:
How to Replace a Lost Vehicle Title in Colorado | DMV

They told me that I needed the original title owners information and a signature from them giving me consent to get a replacement title. I was told they have since passed away. From what I understand through my parents is that this camper has gone through several sales with no title attached to the sale in the State of Kansas. I have no clue who the original title owner is and with the Privacy Laws I am unable to get a name through my local DMV. I will see if the Police Department where I work will give me any information but I doubt it.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #34

Quote:
...... I will see if the Police Department where I work will give me any information but I doubt it.
Be persistent. I was given an old motorcycle with no title and got lots of wrong information before I got the straight information and successfully titled it. Maybe you could call several different DMVs and police departments. Ask to talk to a supervisor. Get names of who you talk to, as they try harder when they know that it will come back to them if they give bad information.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #35

Colorado
Quote:
Be persistent. I was given an old motorcycle with no title and got lots of wrong information before I got the straight information and successfully titled it. Maybe you could call several different DMVs and police departments. Ask to talk to a supervisor. Get names of who you talk to, as they try harder when they know that it will come back to them if they give bad information.
Great, Thanks Tom
Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #36

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Wonderful find! Happy camping.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #37

New York
Tom has some good info as usual. I've had the experience a couple times, when some form from a previous owner had to be signed and the whereabouts of that person were unknown, I signed their name and that resolved the problem. At one visit to DMV where I needed a signature, the clerks reply was, "I think that person is sitting outside on a park bench, go out there and get them to sign it." Like Tom says, ask the question to several different people and hope one of them has the right answer, it's worked for me more than once. Just need to find someone who will take the time to help.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
........when some form from a previous owner had to be signed and the whereabouts of that person were unknown, I signed their name and that resolved the problem..........
I thought that I was the only one that did this stuff. It drives my DW crazy. I just say that it is far easier to get forgiveness than permission.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #39

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Sounds like there are other, easier ways, too, Glenn!

I guess those (two) of us that find that shocking are just behind the times.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #40

New York
Hey, the lady at DMV told me to do it, in a way that she wasn't directly saying it. I always seem to have some odd situation, not trying to do anything illegal, just the paperwork is screwed up. When I had a '76 pickup shipped to me from Arizona, with the original title from 1977 that was the size of a credit card, they couldn't find a picture of a AZ title that old in their books, so after much discussion let it go through. And you should see the big production I had when I bought our daughter a popup camper in Massachusetts and had to get it licensed in Connecticut for her. Had to take it to CT's DMV just for someone to look at the VIN number. Having 5 trailers currently registered, and 5 vehicles, I get plenty of experience with DMV.

Tags
uhaul