I did it! 87 uhaul ct-13 - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #81

Name: Dan
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13 1985
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
àyes i'm getting a new axle.

425$ for axle and brakes
230$ installation and wirering
150$ controller with instalation
add 15% quebec taxes it comes up to 925$

Remeber that Canadian prices are higher than the US ones on almost everything wich does not make sens since the $$ are almost at par.

the prices above are consistent with everywhere i checked around here but this guy was the easiest going over the phone, i think i will have good service with him.

i did not know about the new sticker for the ct13 but i'm not really interrested, i dont care much for the original look of the uhaul...
in fact Uhaul in general is company that I dislike and i avoid renting from them as much as possible...They gave me a lot of trouble in the past renting trucks...

But i like the camper!
Hello Bernard, I was wondering who will replace your axle/brake. Mine has original axle without brakes and I did not made a long ride yet. I really don't know how the car's brakes will perform in mountains. It is an old Volvo S80 1999 but next year, I am planning to replace it with a subaru outback or the new ford escape. I might need brakes and because I am also from Quebec, I am interested by your solution. Thanks
Glad you like your little u-haul!!
Youhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #82

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youhauler View Post
Hello Bernard, I was wondering who will replace your axle/brake. Mine has original axle without brakes and I did not made a long ride yet. I really don't know how the car's brakes will perform in mountains. It is an old Volvo S80 1999 but next year, I am planning to replace it with a subaru outback or the new ford escape. I might need brakes and because I am also from Quebec, I am interested by your solution. Thanks
Glad you like your little u-haul!!

its a trailler shop in Rigaud 35 minutes ouest of montreal
where are you located exactly?

personnaly i think you are better of looking for a good trailer shop than going for an rv shop...rv shop in qc are crooks

prices of my quote are not good anymore...quote was for a straight axle, mine was modified with a drop axle so it 90$ more.
i'm also replacing wheels with regular trailer wheels...60$ extra..i want everything to be as standard as possible.

your uhaul might still be with a torsion axle so prices will vary
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #83

Name: Dan
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13 1985
Quebec
Quote:
its a trailler shop in Rigaud 35 minutes ouest of montreal
where are you located exactly?

personnaly i think you are better of looking for a good trailer shop than going for an rv shop...rv shop in qc are crooks

prices of my quote are not good anymore...quote was for a straight axle, mine was modified with a drop axle so it 90$ more.
i'm also replacing wheels with regular trailer wheels...60$ extra..i want everything to be as standard as possible.

your uhaul might still be with a torsion axle so prices will vary
I am in Sherbrooke. Yes, I will check with a local trailer shop here. Thank you for the information. I might try a long run first to see the car's brake performance.
Thanks a lot for the info.
Dan
Youhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #84

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you were smelling your brakes, you probably glazed them and will need them serviced. Did that to my Subaru a couple weeks after I had had a brake job. Was not a happy camper.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #85

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
I am in Sherbrooke. Yes, I will check with a local trailer shop here. Thank you for the information. I might try a long run first to see the car's brake performance.
Dan
Since the shop will probably have to order the axle I don't think you can go wrong ordering it with brakes or at least the mounting plates for brakes that would allow them to be added later.

Might not "need" trailer brakes in "normal" driving but it only takes once needing to brake hard on a down hill before you will be glad you have them. And to my mind having the brakes make the trailer feel a bit more controlled and less pushy in day to day use. But that is a personal opinion.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #86

Quebec
Quote:
Dan
You sould find s few good spots in sherbrook,
A friend of mine has good aerbice dor his work trailers in granby.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #87

Quebec
So I got brakes now!
The guy doing the work was really cool and did an exellent job.
Wow! brakes are cool. Its almost like driving without the trailer, lots of control, i love it

We worked on the uhaul totay...
We are changing a few things before our 2 weeks vacation ...in two weeks!

I decided to remove the big lump that was holding the bunk at the front, after looking at pics here on the forum, i like what (cant remember her name) did.
it took me me the whole afternoon!
-Grinded off all the bumps in the fiberglass.
-Plugged the holes and did some bondowork to smooth out the surface.
-I got some paint color matched to the fiberglass, the pic is only the first coat.
-I changed the table setup and reused the original table foot system , i like this better, feels more solid than the previous setup and look cleaner.
-I also installed the new to me 2 burner stove, i had to build a "contour" around it as the hole of the previous stove was abit to big for it.(no pics)

Also have new porch light since the last camping weekend, it's one of those solar light meant to be on deck stairs. It recharge and turn on by itself when its dark.

My wife worked on the drapes, should get a pic later tonite.

we started calling it "le piment"(pepper) since it will be red...well see if that name sticks..
Old 08-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #88

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
Pulled the "bunk lump" out of mine as well. Works great for me because I don't need the bunk beds. Don't have a front table but i have considered it for a later mod. I like the idea of the solar outside light as well.
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #89

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our bunk lump was already gone when we got our trailer, but some previous owner had built a small shelf on the three wood supports. It stuck out too far, so removed it, cut down the supports, and made a narrower shelf. Now we can sit on the front couch without that shelf poking us in the back. With the Casita chair in the right front, the couch is for only one person now.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #90

Quebec
Worked a lot on the uhaul this weekend.

Had the gaz inspected and fixed this week..the fridge is nit the original one and it sticks out way more than i expected..i will need to do some finishing to make it look nice...
Installed the new stove.

Removed the neon light over the sink and installed a led light above the stove instead.
Installed 2 led light in the top compartments also

Fixed the exhaust vent for the sove with two computer fans and re-sealed the exterior vent properly with butyl .
Fixed the lower fridge vent, the thing was cracked and was moving a lot while driving, added a piece of metal behind.

Added 3/4" plywood over the area with inges and pistons to lift the plywood and bed for a better access of the compartements under.

Added a 3" memory foam over the regular cushions, makes the bed reeeaaaly comfy....

Few small things are left to do before we leave for a weeek vacation friday!
Old 08-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #91

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Very, very nice! Have a great time on your vacation. Make lots of memories and take pictures
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #92

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Looks like a clean machine and your amendments are rational and well-executed, Bernard. Camping is proof of the pudding, as you know. Have fun!

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #93

Quebec
Last but not least i installed a quick connect for the water input...
Old 08-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #94

New York
I found that a wind driven rain would blow in the original stove vent louvre. I put a plastic hood over the outside to eliminate that problem.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #95

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I found that a wind driven rain would blow in the original stove vent louvre. I put a plastic hood over the outside to eliminate that problem.
Any pics?

I would like ultimately to replace the completely with somekind of triangular shaped metal part like one big louver pointing down instead of multiple louvers.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #96

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
So I got brakes now!
The guy doing the work was really cool and did an excellent job.
Wow! brakes are cool. Its almost like driving without the trailer, lots of control, i love it...........
Glad to hear that the brakes worked out for you. I love the added security of trailer brakes.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #97

New York
Bernard, we're away from home for a few days, so pics of the vent hood will be delayed. Thomas G found it for me on eBay, it's white plastic, was a complete through the wall piece that had a flapper to close it. I just used the outside cover part, may have had to modify it by cutting, can't quite remember as I tried a couple ways to use it, but final solution was to attach it with the top center screw of the original louvered vent and some butyl tape. That Tom can find anything!
Old 08-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #98

Name: Rob
Trailer: U Haul CT 13
Florida
Tartosuc,
I too recently bought a CT13. Some mods I have recently done are:

- Installed new battery and power converter/charger
- Complete rewire of camper
- Installed 6000 btu A/C under front seat (we live in Florida)
- Replaced fridge with Mini Dorm Style Fridge
- Hot/Cold plumbing with exterior shower
- LED Tail Lights & Running Lights, new wiring

Remaining projects:
- Restore front bunk
- Patch holes and repaint outside of camper white
- Replace Vent Fan
- Install flip down car TV with dome lights over sink

I like what you did with the Gas Struts and 3/4" Board for the bed. I might add that one to my list. I'm curious as to what you did for where the heater exhaust used to be. What kind of light did you install and how effective is it? I no longer have a heater and would consider an accessory at the exhaust location rather than fiberglassing hole. Can you elaborate?

Also, was your front hump both screwed and fiberglassed? The hump on mine is screwed and fiberglassed. I would have to unscrew and cut off hump, then grind to smooth where fiberglass is. Is that what you did?

Keep updating us on your camper. You seem to have an addiction to working on it just like me. I had to slow down. We've camped twice since we got her in the heat of summer in the florida keys and it was nice except for the mosquitos. I bought a screened shade shelter so that ought to do the trick for next time.
rockead rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #99

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Bernard, we're away from home for a few days, so pics of the vent hood will be delayed. Thomas G found it for me on eBay, it's white plastic, was a complete through the wall piece that had a flapper to close it. I just used the outside cover part, may have had to modify it by cutting, can't quite remember as I tried a couple ways to use it, but final solution was to attach it with the top center screw of the original louvered vent and some butyl tape. That Tom can find anything!
Bob, you are setting me up........

Is this the reference?....not eBay. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post334320
Old 08-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #100

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockead rob View Post
Tartosuc,
I too recently bought a CT13. Some mods I have recently done are:

- Installed new battery and power converter/charger
- Complete rewire of camper
- Installed 6000 btu A/C under front seat (we live in Florida)
- Replaced fridge with Mini Dorm Style Fridge
- Hot/Cold plumbing with exterior shower
- LED Tail Lights & Running Lights, new wiring

Remaining projects:
- Restore front bunk
- Patch holes and repaint outside of camper white
- Replace Vent Fan
- Install flip down car TV with dome lights over sink

I like what you did with the Gas Struts and 3/4" Board for the bed. I might add that one to my list. I'm curious as to what you did for where the heater exhaust used to be. What kind of light did you install and how effective is it? I no longer have a heater and would consider an accessory at the exhaust location rather than fiberglassing hole. Can you elaborate?

Also, was your front hump both screwed and fiberglassed? The hump on mine is screwed and fiberglassed. I would have to unscrew and cut off hump, then grind to smooth where fiberglass is. Is that what you did?

Keep updating us on your camper. You seem to have an addiction to working on it just like me. I had to slow down. We've camped twice since we got her in the heat of summer in the florida keys and it was nice except for the mosquitos. I bought a screened shade shelter so that ought to do the trick for next time.
hi,
i'd like to see your led tailligt mod...

actually, i dont have a light at the exhaust vent yet, i have evreything setup to make one but i'm waiting on my LED bulb to come in. the round part is from a security camera housing. All i have left to do is add the light from behind...
But i now have other ideas and i might not use the vent hole as a light anymore..i'm thinking of making a plate with USB ports to connect a speaker, or maybe install a waterproof speaker into the hole... not sure yet.

My front bump was screwed and fiberglassed but just at a few spots..i've been able to remove by pulling on it really hard...after that i was an afternoon og grinding/bondoing/painting...

if you do the plywood mod, cut the plank 2" shorter than you think...you need to clear curtains/window handle plus fiberglass is curved at the wall/bed junction...its a pain to get the plywood into place...
in order to have the bed up with matress and sheets, I use a strap under the matress to bring the side up a little to clear the curtains and window handles.

current project are.:
-installing usb ports to recharge electronics and supply power to speaker.
-keep on updating wirering
-fix the non working position lights.

next year project
-re-seal all windows properly
-repaint exterior red.
-replace power converter system.
-find a way to prevent water to come in from the range hood vent and fridge vents.
-LED tailing convertion.
- exterior rgb led lighting strip under the awning rail.
-plus tons of ideas i have in my head!

it was quiet at the office today so i used my worktools to build a small distribution panel
i've hacked an old usb 1 hub and usb ports from old computers to use as my usb power source. i'm planning on having 1 close to the door, 1 by the front table and one somewhere at the back.

Tags
uhaul