U-Haul Power converter upgrade. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13 1985
Quebec
U-Haul Power converter upgrade.

The existing vintage U-Haul Newmark power converter is doing a good job for recharging the battery. But, it is not an intelligent charger so I needed a way to stop charging when the battery is full. Otherwise, I could ruin it if I don't add distilled water regulary. Also, I added many new electronic devices such a radio, LED lighting, a digital TV converter, a dvd player, a router, an electronic fan speed controller and a LED dimmer. I quickly found that the old power supply was not adequate for the new requested job. I dod not wanted to invest $200 for a new kit so I decided to upgrade my old kit.

The old power converter is an unregulated battery charger that is also used to give power to accessories.

What I wanted to do is:

- Keep existing battery charger in place,
- Add a switch/light to control battery charging,
- Add a new 12Vdc 10A regulated power supply for the accessories.

So, to be able to modify the existing power converter I had to redraw the existing diagram and modify it. I did not put a lot of effort on the drawings because it was just for my use but I think I might interest some of U-Haul CT-13 owners.

I give you the very rough electic diagram of this modifications as a starting point. Look at it and if you have questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the modified power converter with the built-in new power supply. I have been able to install the new power supply in the existing box.
Attached Thumbnails
P1070695.jpg   Power supply2.JPG  

Magnatek01.jpg   Magnatek02.jpg  

diagram.jpg  
Youhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Looks great. What was your source for parts?
Old 07-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #3

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Awesome

Mr. Dan,
That's awesome!!! My stock setup has been adequate but really like your mod for your extra electrical needs!

Now, if only you or Mr. Tom will design an affordable/portable windmill generator, to supplement the solar panels, then maybe I'll copy it and boondock for weeks instead of days!

Incidentally, for Mr. Tom, I am still waiting to hear from Mr. Jim (the admin over at UHaulCamper.com) about folks having problems getting on the site...
Old 07-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I took a different route: threw away the original converter and installed a PD4045. We were on shore power for 3 months straight with no problems.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #5

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Looks great. What was your source for parts?
Hi Thomas,

The only additionnal part that I purchased is the 12V 10A power supply at $10.

12V 10A Power Supply Regulated LED Transformer FOR SMD 5050 3528 LED Strip NEW | eBay

It works really great.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #6

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I took a different route: threw away the original converter and installed a PD4045. We were on shore power for 3 months straight with no problems.
The deluxe route. Where did you install your panel?

Dan
Old 07-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I removed the converter from my Newmark and bolted a PD9245 to the rear of the 120/12V distribution section. Wired with 8 gauge welding cable.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youhauler View Post

Hi Thomas,

The only additionnal part that I purchased is the 12V 10A power supply at $10.

12V 10A Power Supply Regulated LED Transformer FOR SMD 5050 3528 LED Strip NEW | eBay

It works really great.
OK. Got it. I've been adding little voltage regulators to the LEDs.

Tags
u-haul