Quiet electric heater recommendations? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quiet electric heater recommendations?

i'm looking for a small electric heater with a quiet fan. Can't tell by looking at them in the store which heater fan is quiet. Recommendations?
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Try one without a fan. I used one of those for 5 winters and it worked just fine.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have a relatively quiet electric heater though we rarely run it at night. At night we use an electric blanket, extremely quiet and very effective.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have a Honeywell Ceramic Heater, model HZ 306C which is relatively quiet for a heater with a fan.
Even quieter is an oil-filled radiator type. I have one that is 800 watts and about half the size of a full size model ( but, it still takes up more space than a cube heater ).
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 12.08.28 PM.png  
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #5

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Wal Mart's little "Perfect Home" oscilating ceramic heater 800-1500 Watt.
is extremely quiet. I have also used, the always dependable and durable Milk house heaters which will given time be noisy. Both priced around $20.00
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
We have the built in Braon model. 174 , it is very quiet . Love that it is built in and out of the way . It requires a build in depth of a standard stud , about 4 inches from the floor ( clearance )and no clearance from the side . It heats our Escape 15 nicely on it's own . Never wakes me at night - I can not sleep with the gas furnaces , too loud. Was a great solution for us . Also because it has a fan it provides air circulation - helpful for shoulder season .
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Electric heaters have gotten to be a joke with us. We have tried several, with a couple being returned to Walmart. The last one we returned may have been made by Lasko, put out good heat, but had a burnt plastic smell that just wouldn't go away, even after several hours of use. A phone call to their customer service resulted in them recommending that we return it, which we did. Then went to Lowes and bought one by Utilitec, which looks just like the Optimus for $28.98 that is on Walmarts web site. I think this is the one that we will use in the camper. We also bought at Lowes one of the milk house type heaters to use in the screen room, to replace an older one that has become noisy like Diane says. We also have one of the smaller cube ceramic heaters as on real cool days it takes two heaters to keep the screen room warm. One issue I have with some of these heaters is the temperature differential in the thermostat, there is too much of a temp drop to when the heater will come back on after it has shut off.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #8

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
We bought a $20 fan/heater from a local discount store - it was whisper quiet in the store and the first time we used it; the second time we used it, it made a racket. I got fed up with it and found that if I push the fan blade hub back into place on the shaft, it gets quiet again.

Cheap Chinese crap. Instead of returning them repeatedly, I'm going to open it and put some JB Weld on the shaft to hold the fan in place on the shaft.

But it does a fan tastic job of heating!
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Lets see $450 for a new LP furnace vs. <$30 for a returnable electric.

I would just buy two heaters from a national chain return the bad ones as they fail and always have a new one to drop into place. The several I have bought at Wal-Mart have all been fairly quiet and none have given up yet....

But don't expect Roll-Royce quiet with a Yugo price tag.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Pelonis. It has an automatic variable speed fan and is quite quiet I think.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
Pelonis. It has an automatic variable speed fan and is quite quiet I think.
I've got one - a Model 1500W-II, ceramic disk heater made in 1989. The thing I really like about it is the wattage is variable. You can dial it from 300w to 1500w, or set it for a temperature, and when it reaches it, it cuts back the wattage and fan speed. As the trailer cools off, it speeds up. Very quiet. I believe they are currently making a similar version, but I love the old one.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #12

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I rewired the small cube heater (300w) I have in my tear drop. So the fan runs all the time that way it does not wake me up every time it come on. (The heating coils still go on and off) It also keeps the tear a more even temp. In my Uhaul I have a oil filed heater and a small fan that I point at the ceiling to help keep the camper a more even temp also. It does take up more room than a cube one but my wife likes it because she thinks it's safer. She is probably right.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #13

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I installed the small Broan wall heater mentioned in #6 post and it keeps the trailer cozy while occupied. For unattended heating over the winter I use a 500 watt oil filled radiator type heater that keeps the unit above freezing. Here is the Broan link Broan 174 750/1500W 120 VAC Painted Grill Wall Heater, White - Amazon.com
here is the oil filled one http://www.amazon.com/Optimus-H-6002...+filled+heater

Tags
eco