Scamp door issues - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Scamp door issues

I think I will need to do some mods to my new Scamp's door. The factory latching mechanism is a bit flaky and I was given specific instructions at the factory on proper door closing. Who knew I didn't know how to close a door? Seems slamming the door is a bad idea as the latch impacts the strike plate so hard it can crack the fiberglass the strike plate is mounted to. I eventually want to replace the whole mechanism, but in the interim I added a bit of support to the strike plate in case I storm out and slam the door; not likely, but you never know. It was a 10 minute mod and seems good insurance. It involved cutting a small aluminum triangle and bolting it to the strike plate. (see picture) The may only work on the deluxe models as the wood "door frame" is ¾ inch solid Oak and can take the transferred pressure. In hindsight I don't know why I chose aluminum. Oak would have worked as well and perhaps more elegantly.

Also, the factory weatherstripping around the door is not going to work. Its water porous and already is getting scraped off by the door closing. Scamp mailed me a hollow rubber replacement seal for free so that problem should soon disappear.

I don't want to sound like I am disappointed the Scamp. Its very well made and I am very pleased. I just like to tinker and make it my own. These little projects are fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp electrical 2.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I would worry more about wind slamming the door than temper. One can control ones temper (or at least ones actions when upset) an unexpected gust of wind is just that, unexpected and not something one can control.

I noticed something in the picture, it looks like the strike plate projects past the door edge, does it?

And wondered if you can post a picture of the replacement door seal. Lord knows those door seals are a PITA and am always looking for something better for our old beast.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #3

Here are some more pics. The second shows the door seal Scamp sent me.

Floyd suggests not relying on the peel and stick adhesive on weatherstrip. I agree. I use 3M super weatherstrip adhesive. Its messy, but it sticks like stink on ......

I mean really, really well.

I also agree with Floyd's suggestion that weatherstrip should be rubbed down with Di-Electric grease. It keeps the rubber more supple and slippery. Slippery is important since the Scamp's door slides over the weatherstrip as it closes and in my case peels the weather strip off its double stick tape. Flat square doors are so much easier, but so much less cool. I will put up the the hassles.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp door  2.jpg   Scamp door  1.jpg  

Old 05-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #4

DW asked about the protruding door "strike plate"

My DW asked about the likelihood of snagging clothing on the protruding Scamp door's strike plate. Seemed a valid concern and my previous mod wasn't as elegant as I could have wished. So why not use wood instead of metal? I found a hunk of walnut in my scrap bin and got to work with the bandsaw and sanders.

This works much better. I also added a third screw thru the strike plate into the walnut to further secure the wiggly plate. So far so good. And the DW will be pleased.

I am a bit concerned that my Scamp obsession has turned to modding my mods. Do you think this disease is terminal?

The pictures show how the painted steel strike plate already looks pretty banged up. Stainless steel next?
Attached Thumbnails
scamp photos 1 (1).jpg   scamp photos 2 (1).jpg  

scamp photos 3 (1).jpg  
Old 05-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
Do you think this disease is terminal?
Nope, it is a chronic condition. You will have to learn to live with it.

Nice work by the way!
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
I did almost the same thing to my door striker, yours turned out 150% better than mine, 100% more functional than the scamp striker, since my fiberglass was compromised in striker area......good job!
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #7

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I really like that mod, it's got me thinking about doing something like it. I'll second RodgeDat on the wind slamming the door.... I've had it to happen to many times. Slamming doors is easy to temper out... "I'll have to fix or pay for fixing" that one stops me at least I've cracked my head on top of doorway hard enough to crack it but still didn't slam the door.
I like that new door seal after the spring rain over and up to normal summer temps I may replace mine. I don't look forward to trying to remove the adhesives stuck on doorway.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell in Al View Post
I don't look forward to trying to remove the adhesives stuck on doorway.
My Scamp was pretty new and the weatherstrip's double stick tape was difficult to peel off, took maybe 40 minutes. I did not use any solvent.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
My Scamp was pretty new and the weatherstrip's double stick tape was difficult to peel off, took maybe 40 minutes. I did not use any solvent.
That's a shame, as WD40 works like a charm to remove that stuff
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
That's a shame, as WD40 works like a charm to remove that stuff
Dave & Paula
Dave and Paula,

Sometimes I am

Too soon old, too late smart.