Trailering new 2014 Scamp 13. 7-pin to 4flat? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #1

Name: Bobbi
Trailer: Scamp 13
Maine
Trailering new 2014 Scamp 13. 7-pin to 4flat?

We will pick it up in July 28 in Backus. We are getting brakes on the trailer but NOT having box installed in Subaru Crosstrek because it's a lease. We will do this on the next vehicle. SO, my question is...will the lights and signals work ok for the trip back to Maine when using flat 4 to 7 pin adapter? Also, will the battery charge this way? One last thing: We will have AC, fridge, furnace. Group 27 battery and 20# propane. I've seen the weight spreadsheet but it doesn't really give "per amenity" weight. I'm trying to get a final weight on the thing. I know it's close to my limit (Subaru wasn't even remotely worried when I told them our plans). For those of you who went to the factory, can we weigh there? Ok, I'm done.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Four wires only give you brake lights, signal and running lights. No reverse lights , brakes or Acc. charge voltage.
Eddie
Old 05-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #3

Maine
Thank you Ed. That's just what we needed to confirm. Now...anyone? About the final weight...Scamp is not very helpful, very busy I guess.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Bobbi, you could use the RF style brake controller so you would be able to have brakes & no tow vehicle wiring required.
Dave & Paula
Old 05-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
If you are limited to 1500 pounds trailer weight and 150 pounds tongue weight I am pretty sure your new trailer will be more than that. I wonder if you could put the battery and propane tank in the vehicle for the trip home to lighten the tongue load. Scamp should be able to tell you where the nearest weigh place is. If you are limited to the above numbers be careful.

Nancy
Old 05-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Have you looked at Trailer Weights in the real world under general chat?

we are the lowest weight 13 Scamp there. 1420 +200=1620.

We have no air conditioner, no refrigerator, no water, no awning. We did have books, sleeping gear and clothes. cooler in the car.

Nancy
Old 05-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Over weight and under powered. Without brakes just makes things worse. Sorry Raz
Old 05-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #8

Maine
You have been very helpful, all of you. We are brand new to the scamp community and looking forward to fun camping. The internet is full of a lot of stuff. Weighing it all takes time.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #9

Name: Steve
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Bobbi, you could use the RF style brake controller so you would be able to have brakes & no tow vehicle wiring required.
Dave & Paula
I have the RF controller on my 13.
It comes with a 7 pin male plug just like the trailer but in addition to the 4 wires you will have to at least supply another power wire whether you choose to make it a viable charge wire would be up to you. The controler wont operate without that power wire. I would buy the 7pin socket that the existing 4 flat connecter plugs into and plug your trailer into that. So at least you could get working trailer lights. Running without brakes probably isn't wise and my understanding running a trailer with brakes in operable if you have them is illegale in some states. When I ordered my RF controler it took a while to get, cant just run down the parts store and pick it up. I don't know if the supply situation has changed in a year and a half.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:57 AM   #10

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Agreed, trailer brakes are real important. My first trip this year with my new to me nissan frontier I didn't have the cable yet from etrailer to hook up the brake controller....Nissan says my truck can stop 3000lb trailer...well it can but wasn't a comfortable feeling....glad it was only a 60 mile ride to my buddies house for new years eve. Next trip down I installed the cable and brake controller.

For such a light weight vehicle I think its dangerous driving it without the electric brakes.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #11

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbilane View Post
We will pick it up in July 28 in Backus. We are getting brakes on the trailer but NOT having box installed in Subaru Crosstrek because it's a lease.
I'm puzzled by the reasoning here- have you discussed this with the leaseholder and they're telling you that such an installation is forbidden according to its terms? It seems strange to me that they'd allow the installation of a hitch while at the same time forbidding the installation of the actuator for the brakes specifically required by Subaru if towing over a thousand pounds-? The car is simply not equipped as-is with sufficient braking power to stop loads heavier than that.

Subaru may be unconcerned about the possibility of weight straying a few hundred pounds over 1500, but I think it fair to presume that they'd be far less casual about advising/"allowing" you to do so without trailer brakes.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #12

Maine
Trailering new 2014 Scamp 13. 7-pin to 4flat?

No, my reasoning is it's 300 bucks to install the box etc when I'll only have the car another year. Subaru recommends brakes too over 1000 pounds. And then another 300 plus the 800 to install for the next vehicle...which I may not lease...buy.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
No, my reasoning is it's 300 bucks to install the box etc when I'll only have the car another year. Subaru recommends brakes too over 1000 pounds. And then another 300 plus the 800 to install for the next vehicle...which I may not lease...buy.
Brake controllers are not vehicle-specific and can easily be removed from one car and put in another. Even the wiring isn't complex or even necessarily permanent, especially if run under the car body instead of through the interior.

Charge line installation is a little more difficult, but since it's not a safety issue easily left to wait for the next vehicle. Not so with the brakes; this vehicle can't safely tow your new Scamp without them. Please don't attempt to do so.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #14

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
That's a foolish reason to not spend $300. There is always the people who take unnecessary risks but the first time someone cuts you off and your standing on the brake pedal and not slowing down fast enough you will probably be regretting your decision

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
How much are you and your family worth?
I can tell you from experience, towing a boat with a Subaru wagon ( of old ) that almost not stopping at the bottom of a long hill, almost getting t-boned on a major highway, almost killing all of us, that you need those brakes.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I think you may want to reconsider your trailer purchase for this summer until you can pick a vehicle with the capacity to handle the 13' Scamp you are wishing to tow with it. The Outback would probable be a much better fit for the trailer if you are wanting to stick to a Subaru.

I towed with a Subaru for years but a larger version (Outback) and I would never tow anything over a 1000lbs behind it without full trailer brakes connected as per the owners manual. Also there are laws that require you to have brakes on the trailer under certain conditions and one of them is often in regards to the trailers weight in relationship to the vehicle towing it. Pretty sure as the CrossTeck only weighs about 3000lbs itself you will fall into that category for sure & need brakes not just because Subaru says so.

Not to mention the Scamp 13' you are wanting once loaded for camping with be well over the 1500lb towing capacity of the Crossteck.

See the thread Real World Trailer Weights for clarification on that - Scamps have a weight range from a low of 1620 lbs to a high of 2020lbs. All but one weighed in with a tongue weight that is not over your 200lb tongue weight specification set by Subaru - so even if you find a way to keep the total weight below 1500lbs (which based on your options isn't going to happen) don't plan on carrying anything in the back of the car when its connected.

Per Subaru the options for the Cross Over reads "Trailer hitch, 1.25", wired, includes insert. The Crosstrek is rated for 1500lbs towing with trailer brakes, 1000 lbs without. $498"

Here is the problem you have. I recently asked a few vehicle manufactures what the actual class of hitch was they put on at the factory & was told they don't use of Class # system anymore. (its not just small SUV's this is happening with - happened with my current truck as well). As the hitch put on at the factory & specially designed for the vehicle is only rated to the towing capacity of the vehicle it is attached to - similar to how it is done in Europe.

Any which way I am willing to bet that Subaru wouldn't/didn't put anything more than a Class I hitch on the CrossTeck regardless - which means its only good for up to 2000lbs - which you again would be very close to or exceed attaching a 13' Scamp to it. Assuming of course Subaru didn't in fact put a specially designed hitch of the car that is in fact only rated to 1500lbs as the options listing seems to suggest is the case..... which means you would not only be over your total towing capacity but the hitch capacity as well.... add to that no trailer brakes.... humm not a pretty picture forming in my mind!

Its a cute little vehicle it just wasn't designed to pull safely the trailer you were hoping to pull with it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention looking at your list of options I would say it would be a pretty safe bet your trailer will be at the high end of the Real World Weights listed.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #17

Maine
I've been hanging on every word guys! Brakes it is! Next...scamp just replied to yet another email to say the scamp we've ordered with AC, fridge, furnace gr 27 batt and propane weighs about 1000 pounds. I'm very suspicious and now a nervous Nellie...again.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #18

Registry
WHEW!

Glad that's settled...there'll be no stoppin' you now!...wait...that sounds wrong...oh, you know what I mean.

As for weight:

Do remember that Scamp can only give you actual curb weight- they have no control over how many gold bricks etc. folks put in the trailer. Since Subaru already told you that in this case a couple of hundred pounds over 1500 isn't the end of the world I probably wouldn't sweat it.
BUT
If you're concerned enough that it could be a dealbreaker: Member Steve Dunham got Scamp to send him some actual weight tickets when he was shopping for his 16er. (They have to weigh them if they're being shipped, cause that's how the movers charge.)

He got weights for both the 13 and the 16- didn't mention to us what the weights of the 13ers was, but he might still have those numbers.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
I'm willing to bet your title will say 1000 pounds too. Our 13 with front washroom fridge stove furnace etc had 1000 pounds on the title. Never had it weighed though as not an issue with full size pickup
Old 05-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I've been hanging on every word guys! Brakes it is! Next...scamp just replied to yet another email to say the scamp we've ordered with AC, fridge, furnace gr 27 batt and propane weighs about 1000 pounds. I'm very suspicious and now a nervous Nellie...again.
who did you talk to at Scamp?????

Per the Scamp Website under the standard 13' Scamp it reads 1200- 1500lbs! Thats a Standard dry weight - does not include your fridge, furnace or AC and no propane in the tank! or the approx. 500lbs of your own stuff you will stuff into it! Don't think you will put that much into it! You wait and weigh all the bedding, food, clothing, Pots and pans and dishes etc you put into it.

Believe the Real World Trailer Weights thread! That is why it is called REAL WORLD!
Closed Thread

Tags
scamp