Trailering new 2014 Scamp 13. 7-pin to 4flat? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 04:34 PM   #21

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Just because they updated the website doesn't mean they updated the sales people lol
Old 05-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
Just because they updated the website doesn't mean they updated the sales people lol
LOL - yup so true.

Here is the thing that more than one person new to travel trailers has gotten themselves into a little trouble.

The 1000lbs they are quoting is a known as a DRY weight. That weight does not include much of anything - no battery, no propane tank, no awning, no fridge, no ac, no stove top, no hot water tank, gravel shield, screen door, rear cabinets etc etc etc....
Old 05-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #23

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Since Subaru already told you that in this case a couple of hundred pounds over 1500 isn't the end of the world I probably wouldn't sweat it.
I think you might want to reread from the top Francesca. NO WHERE has it been said the Subaru says they are ok with them pulling a couple of hunded pounds more than 1500lbs tow spec!! In fact I can't see where its been suggest they said its ok to even pull 1 pound over.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #24

Name: Bobbi
Trailer: Scamp 13
Maine
I was VERY specific with our salesman, Jim, for all the reasons above. I wasn't comfortable with the way he was (and still is) evading the real world weight business. He was too vague. That is why I'm here. You all are so great to answer our questions so honestly with specifics that work in the "real world". I think our vehicle is just not enough car to take those retirement trips to Florida. We have a pop up now and you'd never know it was there, no brakes, but only 975 pounds. We may keep it two more years till we can get to the next step. The scamp is the answer but we haven't quite retired yet either. We may end up in a silver eagle!
Old 05-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #25

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I think you might want to reread from the top Francesca. NO WHERE has it been said the Subaru says they are ok with them pulling a couple of hunted pounds more than 1500lbs tow spec!! In fact I can't see where its been suggest they said its ok to even pull 1 pound over.
No problem with my reading/comprehension skills... my post presumes there's no reason to question the veracity of Bobbi's reported conversation with Subaru, here quoting relevant lines from the threadstarter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbilane View Post
I'm trying to get a final weight on the thing. I know it's close to my limit (Subaru wasn't even remotely worried when I told them our plans). .
Old 05-13-2014, 06:26 PM   #26

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
No, my reasoning is it's 300 bucks to install the box etc when I'll only have the car another year. Subaru recommends brakes too over 1000 pounds. And then another 300 plus the 800 to install for the next vehicle...which I may not lease...buy.
Soooo...... You are willing to tow over limit for the vehicle and endanger your family as well as others on the road, and this is your first experience towing???

Please let us know you route from Bacus to home so we won't be collateral damage when something goes terribly wrong with that combination.

BTW: As a often mention, let your insurance company know what you plan to do as well. They won't be to happy to continue your coverage when you engage in such dangerous practices.

Basic Towing Rule #1 DO IT RIGHT, OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL!!!!!

Old 05-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #27

Name: Bobbi
Trailer: Scamp 13
Maine
Wow Bob, if you had actually read the thread you would never have said that. We just learned way more about you than you bargained for, I bet
Old 05-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #28

Registry
Most of us are on the same page you are, Bobbi; here quoting from your post (number 17 in this string):
Quote:
I've been hanging on every word guys! Brakes it is!
Question re. the rig you have at present:
Have you been towing your PUP with the car under discussion here, and if so have you actually weighed that trailer?

I ask because that 975 pounds sounds light even for a PUP, depending on vintage. Could that be manufacturer's stated weight before loading? You might actually be towing more weight than you think you are, which would certainly shed some light on the capability of your tow vehicle.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #29

Actually everyone hereabouts knows all of that and even more about moi.... especially when it comes to intentional overweight towing topics.

I may have missed the latter posts on page 2 but, when safety is concerned, repeating a point isn't that bad a thing....

Old 05-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Back to that old Subaru wagon I had, towing my tent trailer down from the Coquihalla summit, I was taking it real easy, poking along in the slow lane. I could see a semi ahead of me with his four way flashers on, going maybe half as fast as I was. I had two lanes to my left, but the cars in those lanes were going a lot faster than I was and the Subaru had no chance of speeding up to merge.
I did my best to baby the brakes, all the while searching for an opening in the lane next to me. It didn't happen.
Took my Subaru in to my mechanic, where I had just spent $300 on turning the rotors and new pads and he advised me that I had "glazed my brakes" and I got to write another cheque for the same amount.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #31

Registry
Has O.P. "Bobbi" left the building?

Understandable, if so.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #32

I think she came to the conclusion that she should wait out her lease and get an appropriate tow vehicle.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think she came to the conclusion that she should wait out her lease and get an appropriate tow vehicle.
I think it more likely that she came to the conclusion that it's unlikely that her questions/responses would be met with respectful attention.

In any case:

Here's a "best of luck" goin' out to ya, Bobbi!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #34

Hmmm...

Maybe some of us should start our critical replies to basically bad and unsafe ideas with the phrase "With all due respect, that's a really bad idea"?.

But, when a question knowingly & willingly wants to compromises safety to save $$$, I find it difficult to respect the question.

The o.p. knew that what she was asking was, basically a bed idea, and was looking for support.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #35

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I agree with Bob, when someone is asking a foolish question I'm going to tell them the truth. Its bad enough your buying a trailer that is probably too heavy for your vehicle to safely tow but you want to do it without trailer breaks...let me know your driving path so I can avoid it.

Its good to know your vehicle could stop itself and your trailer if something ever happened in an emergency situation but to depend on it for regular use...that's just foolish.... all to save $300

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-13-2014, 11:20 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
I agree with Bob, when someone is asking a foolish question I'm going to tell them the truth. Its bad enough your buying a trailer that is probably too heavy for your vehicle to safely tow but you want to do it without trailer breaks...let me know your driving path so I can avoid it.

Its good to know your vehicle could stop itself and your trailer if something ever happened in an emergency situation but to depend on it for regular use...that's just foolish.... all to save $300
No points got to the O.P. for conceding the point that she needs trailer brakes and intends to use them, Deryk?

I'm surprised at you, especially since there's nothing in the record that indicates that the O.P.'s tug is less capable of pulling the trailer she proposes than your Forester is of pulling your Parkliner.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
there's nothing in the record that indicates that the O.P.'s tug is less capable of pulling the trailer she proposes than your Forester is of pulling your Parkliner.
hummm Once again Francesca with all do respect I suggest you should probable use your own set up if you wish to make comparisons as examples. Pretty sure Deryk is pulling with the same truck as I have and in the past he pulled with a RAV4 that had more than enough towing capacity for the Parkliner he pulled with it.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:56 PM   #38

Old 05-14-2014, 05:20 AM   #39

New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
hummm Once again Francesca with all do respect I suggest you should probable use your own set up if you wish to make comparisons as examples. Pretty sure Deryk is pulling with the same truck as I have and in the past he pulled with a RAV4 that had more than enough towing capacity for the Parkliner he pulled with it.
Carol is correct, Francesca is in lala land lol....I own a 2010 Nissan Frontier with a 6200lb or so tow capacity....my trailer when loaded(depending on how much extra's I'm carrying) is around 2700-2900lbs...a reasonable amount less then half my towing capacity.

I bought the Rav4 because my home built lil gypsy vardo was around 1300lbs and my PT Cruiser (which sat too low to the ground anyway) had a 1500lb tow capacity...so I bought the Rav4 for its 3500lb tow capacity. The Rav4 towed my ParkLiner fine....didn't even really feel it back there but with the soft rear end(it squatted down with a 150lb or so tongue weight of my lil vardo) I spoke with a few owners of other non fg trailers who towed with a Rav4 v6 and decided I wanted a larger heavier stronger tow vehicle.

If the OP was leasing say a Nissan Frontier like mine and Carol's where it says in the owners manual that trailer brakes are needed on trailers 3000lbs or more and they had a 1500-1700lb trailer and said "hey, I don't really want to drop $300 on a lease vehicle that is getting traded in in a few months I would say No biggie, just make sure you give yourself extra stopping distance and your fine. BUT the problem is when someone cuts you off suddenly and your tow vehicle doesn't have the breaking power and weight to stop your trailer in time you get in an accident. If its found that you are towing a trailer that is borderline above your vehicle's tow capacity and not following the trailer brakes are required on trailers over a 1000 lbs...well trust me the insurance company's are always looking for a reason to say"Not our Problem" and deny your claim.... much less the danger factor to yourself and significant other...well do as you want....just hope to not see you on the road.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-14-2014, 05:29 AM   #40

New Jersey
Registry
oops forgot the pic(see it squatting a bit)
Attached Thumbnails
Rav4lilVardo.jpg  

Closed Thread

Tags
scamp