Scamp 13 Lower Door Hinge FG Flex - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Scamp 13 Lower Door Hinge FG Flex

Hi Everyone,
Calling all FG and mechanics experts on this one. I'll try to be brief.
First off, my 2012 scamp was in an accident on the non-door side. All repair work to FG done at factory...but just to know.
I've had a door creaking noise which I lubed with silicone, but while down there noticed stress cracks around the lower hinge where it sits on the trailer. Then I started opening and closing the door somewhat, and observed that the hinge was flexing on and off the trailer.
Bolts were not stripped at all, but would not completely tighten into the acorn nut (nut kept spinning). So my friend and I added a couple of SS washers inside to tighten up the fit. Was perfect! But then I noticed..instead of the hinge flexing on and off the trailer, now the FG itself around the hinge is kind of "pulling in and out" as the door opens and closes. I know this is because the fit of the hinge has tightened, and that all the stress has now been put on the FG...so that won't do.
So I ordered from Scamp a new lower hinge assembly. One other observation I noticed is that the brass bushing on the lower hinge doesn't seem to be sitting square...seems a bit crooked or tweaked in the fit. Could this be the cause of the whole problem? The hinge itself does not sit as flush against the trailer as the upper hinge...a little gap between the hinge and the trailer is what I see...more than the upper.
Anyway, I know this will just get worse till I understand and figure out the problem. If you suspect that a new hinge assembly might be the ticket, please say so. I know they're cast aluminum, so it can't be "bent" or it would have just snapped.
Just the bushing maybe? The bolt going down through the spring also seems to have a bit more space between it and the acorn nut, as compared with the upper hinge.

Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp