Uhaul CT13 hubs and Tail lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #1

Name: Sal
Trailer: Uhaul CT13
California
Uhaul CT13 hubs and Tail lights

Three quick questions folks:

1. I read that late model Camaro hubs can be used to replace the stock Uhaul ones. Is this true and whos done this? What P/N for which Camaro will work.

2. I also read there is a tail light replacement available. Where can I purchase this and whats it look like.

3. Where can I buy a spare stock style rim?

Thanks!
esfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Regarding tail light lenses, they are very hard to find and those people trying to make them are stalled or have quit. Keep hoping!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Sal; go to the document center on the home page here. All the way down is "trailer brand" where you can click on "Uhaul" and then find the parts cross reference document and the info you need should be there. You can also find the owners manual and repair manual there. Uhaul still sells (last I looked) aluminum adapters to replace your original tail lights with a common 4" round light. Original lenses are not available unless some Uhaul owner decides to sell theirs. Are you on the Uhaul Facebook page, lots of info there and we just created a list of common issues and questions about these campers.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #4

Name: ron
Trailer: uhaul clone
Illinois
Hi I have 2 hubs if you need them or you can get 2001 Camaro front hubs fit perfectly you just have to do a little filing to clean the Holes.
rrod48@gmail.com

new rims are available through u-haul International there in Arizona
rrod48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:37 PM   #5

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Sal,
The tail-light dilemma is a big 'un for us U-Haul-ers. Should still be some aluminum adapters available, but you might have to search pretty hard to find them.
I'm having a go at making a form to produce a fiberglass version of the aluminum adapter, with Tom Griebe as my consultant/advisor. [I can't fully test any prototype I come up with, as I modified my CT13 corners to take mid-80's GM pickup tail-light assemblies.]
Hopefully by spring we'll have sorted out any problems with the plug [form] from which to make molds for f/g adapters... and then folks will at least have that option.
For what it's worth..........
Gary
Old 01-06-2016, 06:30 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Sal,

Consider joining us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/UHaulCamper/

Lots of help there.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:08 PM   #7

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
New correct tailight lenses are not hard to make at home so I am curious as to why nobody has made them for resale????
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:45 AM   #8

Iowa
Mike,
Could you elaborate on the ease of making correct lenses at home? I thought I'd followed most all the discussion over on the U-Haul Facebook page on tail-light lenses, and seemed like there was always a "snag". Plastic brittle, or not having a DOT-approved patterning so as to diffuse the light just so[?]... something.
If you could direct me & others to a how-to thread--or make one for us to follow along with--I think you'd be a popular fellow, and quickly.
Please note: I'm not being a smart-a__ here--I'd really like to know.
Thanks,
Gary
Old 01-08-2016, 08:00 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I was thinking the same as Gary, how did you do it. And are they "correct" as in half red, half amber. I actually want a set of all red.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:24 AM   #10

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
As I said in a previous post it's not that difficult just a little time consuming and you have to buy the supplies and raw materials. You must have a good core lens to make a new one.

Below is a link to a PDF file that will give you a good idea of whats involved. Certainly not as good way to go for a "production" run of lenses however great for the hobbyist/restorer it will work just fine. Once you have the mold you can cast pretty much all you want. There are numerous other links and video's on how to recast tailight lenses on the web. Google is your friend.

Here is a good example although I am not able to attach the PDF file as it is too large an upload for this site so click on the link below and then click at the top of the page to go to the web page link for the PDF file. Save the PDF file to your computer, open the file and plastic tailight remake 101.

This is a lot better than me trying to explain to you and there are pictures if you save and open the PDF file as directed above. This is a perfect process for those wanting to make an all RED tailight. To make a red/clear would require you to make 2 parts, 1 red and 1 clear and mate the 2 together. No perfect however better than nothing OR you could try dam/separate the 2 colors in the same mold.

A little trial and error goes a long way!

Enjoy!

Tail Light Molding with out Equipment.xlsx
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:48 PM   #11

Iowa
Thanks for posting that link!

Gary
Old 02-03-2016, 06:26 AM   #12

Name: Melissa
Trailer: U Haul
Florida
the uhaul service center in tampa, florida has original white steel wheels in stock. I bought 3 a couple of months ago, and they had 17 left.
Meli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, tail lights, uhaul