September road trip New Hampshire, Maine, New Brunswick. Recommendations please... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #1

Name: Martin
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
September road trip New Hampshire, Maine, New Brunswick. Recommendations please...

Greetings all. My wife and I are planning a 10-14 day trip from our home in Ontario through New Hampshire, Maine, New Brunswick. We're mid 40's and planning to do some hiking, cycling and sightseeing. Mount Washington, Acadia national park, Bar Harbour and Fundy national park are on the list of things to do. We're hoping some of the more seasoned travellers here might be able to offer some suggestions on favourite restaurants, campgrounds or sights to see etc. Not sure if I posted this in the correct forum....

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Sunset Point Campground. When you check in you can order a lobster to be delivered to your site.

Sunset Point Campground - Home | Campgrounds Maine Coast | RV Parks Maine | Recreational Vehicle Camp Sites Maine

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #3

Ontario
Now that's living!!! Thanks.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
East coast

You are going to be very busy for that two week period. There is so much to see and do. I have found that the Irving station restaurants are good places to eat (The pea soup is always good and the in-house bakery puts out some great products). You will find some excellent seafood outlets all along if you stay off the interstate and you may have had your fill by the time you get to Pennfield, NB and Comeau's for some of the best fried clams on the east coast. They are off Exit 1, on the old highway.
Cabela's have a huge store in Scarborough, ME (Exit 44?) and if you continue straight on through the lights you will find a Tim's at the coast road. Go to google street views for a look.
Enjoy your holiday, stay safe and we look forward to your recommendations after the trip.
Scouter Dave
Old 08-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #5

Ontario
Thanks for the info. Yes a busy trip. We intend to see what we can but know that there will be repeat visits to all of these areas. I'll post some pics upon my return. Now I just have to finish up the boler before departure day.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #6

Florida
Martin, You did not mention when you were traveling but the middle of August Machias, ME has a very good blueberry festival.

There is also a marvelous fried fish place on route 27 near Boothbay commons, across from the town hall. It's a take out place. No one person can eat a whole sandwich and it's fresh, When they're sold out they close, not open on Monday. Canadian style fries. An order of fish and chips is enough for two easy. Just fried fish, no lobster.

Another world famous place is Reds on Main St in Wiscasset. It's a little tiny building and their lobster rolls though expensive are huge and fresh.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #7

Florida
We once considered retiring to northern Maine. Another neat community is Eastport. If you go there visit the mustard factory and definitely take a tour.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Near Edmunston NB is a nice campground right off the highway. de la République Provincial Park (Campground)

The area has an interesting history.
Republic of Madawaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

US Route 1 in Maine gets you off the freeway for a nice drive. (Less hills) It parallels the TransCanada for a piece of the NB ME border in the northern section.
U.S. Route 1 in Maine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It also has an interesting scale model of the Solar System.
The Maine Solar System Model
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #9

Ontario
Thanks Roy. Hope that closet you took for a template worked put ok for you.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I have not gotten to that job yet Martin. I did find a temporary storage spot for the closet in the garage though. Thanks for asking and thanks for the pictures you sent.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
I was up that way in June. Fundy National Park is magnificent--you should definitely not miss that. The campground is spectacular. I'm drawing a blank on the provincial parks I stayed at in New Brunswick--that they were great. I stayed at Hemlock Grove Campground in Kennebunk, Maine, which was also excellent.

Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:52 AM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Up the coast from Fundy is the Rocks in Hopewell. These are geological formations that are revealed only at low tide.
Tourism NB – Hopewell Rocks | The official site for the Hopewell Rocks on the Bay of Fundy

We haven't been to N.B. in many years. Glad to here the Irving restaurants are still good. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #13

Ontario
Thanks for the tips folks. I'll be doing three nights in Fundy and Hopewell Rocks are on the must see list.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #14

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Deer Isle is a beautiful place, a little out of the way therefore less crowded, or not at all. Stonington is the "lobster capital of the world" - get a couple right at the pier where they load them onto eighteen-wheelers, the price should be good. Interesting granite quarries, some still active, an old one you can walk to and learn how they worked it. A ferry takes you to Isle au Haut (pronounced ile oh ho), part of Acadia NP is on that island. Greenlaws campground is on Airport Road, across from the end of the runway, two miles from town. It is not a commercial airport, very quiet.
Castine, not too far from there, is the home of the Maine Maritime Academy, a neat old town with beautiful homes and a lot of history.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco