casita cargo box - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2016, 11:42 AM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: inTech
Kansas
Question casita cargo box

wondered if anyone had plans or advice about making a cargo box for a casita. i'm hoping that the weather co-operates long enough for me to go get the one i am buying next week; and i would like to get started on a box when i get home! all comments appreciated!!
lrb945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'd recommend a Google site search. On the blue menu bar below your log-in information, select "Search" and scroll down to "Site Search/Google" at the bottom. I tried it with a query of "cargo box" and got plenty of relevant hits, some specific to Casita.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #3

Kansas
cargo box

tried the search you recommended and got nothing useful. what did i do wrong??
Old 02-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #4

Name: milton
Trailer: Northern Lite
British Columbia
Registry
I installed a light aluminum cargo box ,off the rear bumper.Mounted the spare tire under the front ,under the propane tanks.I then installed LED tail lights on the box. Only light items are in the box.Check your tongue weight, and enjoy.
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #5

Kansas
Thumbs up cargo box

thanks for the info, milt. did you make it yourself or find it somewhere?
Old 02-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #6

Name: milton
Trailer: Northern Lite
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Linda, The aluminum box was purchased as a pickup storage box.Very light but seals well (a promo from Delta ).I built two L brackets from 2 inch angle iron that saddle to the trailer bumper ,which is 4 inch square tubing.The box is set higher then the bumber for clearance.
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Cassita
Wisconsin
Casita Box

Welded a piece of angle iron to frame and bolted plastic box to frame. Eleven pound propane tank fits inside along with levelers. Fence post cover sits behind the box for sewer line. Space in bumper is used for canopy crank. Bought box on line: (Truck Boxes | Trailer Tongue Boxes | Buyers Polymer Trailer Tongue Truck Box 36"W - 1701679 | B652520 - GlobalIndustrial.com)

Regards
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09995.jpg  
Dave Haight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Or you may want to consider a roto-molded storage box like this, made by Stow-Away. Just another option.
https://www.stowaway2.com/cargo-carriers-standard.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0004_2 (Medium).JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:23 PM   #9

Kansas
wow--thanks, guys!! really great info. much appreciated!
Old 02-02-2016, 08:05 PM   #10

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Here is my home-boy tongue box. Total cost probably $35bucks.
Attached Thumbnails
TngBx12.jpg   TngBx05.jpg  

TngBx03.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #11

Kansas
that is very cool. i think i would need to be far more proficient in building than i am now to accomplish anything close to this, though. guess it's never too late to learn!
Old 02-03-2016, 12:41 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Or you may want to consider a roto-molded storage box like this, made by Stow-Away. Just another option.
https://www.stowaway2.com/cargo-carriers-standard.aspx
With all the different comments on bike racks/rear boxes causing sway, how has your box worked out for that? I've got the same model and the extra storage would be nice. Also do you know the TW of your trailer, I'm at #365 loaded, full water tank and ready for the road.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:21 AM   #13

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Rear cargo box on Casita hitch

This is what I put together. Abt $130 for the aluminium electric scooter cargo hauler, abt $100 for the patio box, abt $25 for the turn signal lights. Hope the pic comes through.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0976.jpg  
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:35 AM   #14

Tennessee
Myron,

I really like your wooden box behind the propane tanks. I am thinking of mounting my Honda eu3000 generator, which weighs about 130 lbs, over the propane tanks. I have been considering the OMW steel, over the tanks, shelf, but I am thinking I may be able to replicate what you have done (albeit not quite as slick, since I don't have your skills)

Do you think a wooden box, constructed such that it would include the propane tanks, be study enough to carry the weight of the generator, filled with gas?

That is, a box built from the shell forward, such as yours, with the generator placed on top, maybe sitting inside the box, but maybe not.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:27 AM   #15

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
A box floor made of 3/4 plywood is probably more than strong enough, but...You must keep in mind the extra weight you would be adding to the tongue could be a really bad idea. I don't have a generator but if I did I would likely not keep it on the tongue. Think it wiser safe inside the trailer, or in my truck, for security reasons as dwell as to even out distribution of weight.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:51 AM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
With all the different comments on bike racks/rear boxes causing sway, how has your box worked out for that? I've got the same model and the extra storage would be nice. Also do you know the TW of your trailer, I'm at #365 loaded, full water tank and ready for the road.
Dave,
My 17'SD trailer weight and tongue weight are about the same as yours is. I even "downsized" to the 2.5 gallon (half-sized) propane tanks on the front of my trailer and still have 360# of tongue weight. In addition to the weight of the box and all the junk I carry in it, I even stand on top of it while I'm washing the roof of my trailer (I'm 240 Lbs.) My friend, another big guy, couldn't lift the trailer hitch end by hand even with me on it, so I don't think the box will affect trailer handling on a 17 footer. I tow it all over and don't even know its back there unless I look in the mirror, and I only tow with a small Nissan Frontier P/U. I do use a WDH and sway bar, but mainly to level out the load and keep from porpoising. Never had any sway problems, even when I didn't use the sway bar on short trips. Hope this helps.
Greg
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Here is a thread on what I did to the front of my Scamp. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-67478.html I am not surprised a search did not turn it up, I could not hardly find it and I knew it was there!. I have had it for several months/trips and really like this set up.

Santa (via a BBT) brought me a new Honda 2000i genny for Christmas (I was a VERY good boy last year ) and it just does fit inside the tongue box. I have no plans to actually carry it that way but might want to lock it up in there sometime.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:38 PM   #18

Tennessee
I like the diamond plate cover and the angular wood cover. Wood I can do, metal, no so much. I need to cogitate on it a bit more....
Old 02-03-2016, 04:16 PM   #19

Name: Denise
Trailer: Casita
Texas
My Casita SD set-up

Here's my rig. Little House Customs installed the frame-mount hitch to start me off. I have a Cargo rack on the rear with a Rubbermaid action packer storage box mounted on it (the biggest one). I carry 90 lbs of gear in it for a total weight of 145 lbs. On the tongue I installed a Stromberg-Carlson A-frame rack that holds my Honda EU3000 generator on a LowePro Locksystem. The 2 Roto-Pack 3 gallon gas containers are empty until I get to where I am going and fill one or both. My total tongue weight is 580 lbs with empty gas containers, but full generator and full propane tanks.

I also have a weight distribution hitch and the weight on the back helps off-set the tongue weight. So far, so good. 14,000 miles and pulls like a charm.
(I hope the pic works!)
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Casita SD Set-up.jpg  
wellduh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #20

Tennessee
Denise,
Thanks For the pic and description. I will continue to work on the "generator over the tank idea". You are an inspiration.

Tags
casita