Winter spot recommendations? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-13-2016, 07:05 AM   #1

Name: kacey
Trailer: Former scamp owner
Wisconsin
Winter spot recommendations?

Just finishing our first snowbird winter in our scamp fiver, did southern states for 3 months; looking for strong recommendation for a great STAY PUT place in southwest for next trip... Dont need swimming but must have shirtsleeve weather and sunshine for our aching bones. Thx, in advance...Kay and Orland (Wis and MN)

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
cchandka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:04 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Kay & Orland, Apache Junction Arizona has many RV parks that offer long term (stay put) discounted spaces, and the weather will probably be good for the aching bones as well.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:29 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
There's a few National Parks in the southwest. Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, Death Valley National Park, both are good and camping fees are low. Stay limits are 21 days and 30 days respectively however they're pretty much ignored.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #4

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
If you like a beach and a good biking area I suggest South Padre Island in Texas, reasonable fees and great area.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #5

Trailer: 2001 Scamp Deluxe 16 ft
I did 60 days (Jan-Mar) in the southwest for the first time this winter. It was great!
I have a few recommendations.
1- Southern (the warmer area) New Mexico state parks. Very inexpensive with water & electric hook ups ($14/night).
2- Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. No hookups, but inexpensive, warm & lots to do. Downside is that it is far off the beaten path. Stock up on groceries!
3- BLM areas. Again, I stayed in the southern part of NM & AZ. Most (not all) had no hook ups, but were free & close to other interesting areas. Some had hookups & were very inexpensive.
4- I found AZ state parks too expensive & crowded, and did not stay there.
5- Quail Ridge RV Resort, north of Sierra Vista, was a very nice base camp for an extended period. $10/night, full hookups, great rest rooms/showers, excellent clubhouse with satellite tv, very friendly people/staff, DVD rentals, scheduled events and located in the middle of an area with lots to see and do. No wifi or cable tv, but there was so much to do around there, I didn't need it.

Have fun!
Ken Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:03 AM   #6

Name: Edward
Trailer: 83 Burro
Michigan
Have I got the perfect place for you! Rockport Fulton TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchandka View Post
Just finishing our first snowbird winter in our scamp fiver, did southern states for 3 months; looking for strong recommendation for a great STAY PUT place in southwest for next trip... Dont need swimming but must have shirtsleeve weather and sunshine for our aching bones. Thx, in advance...Kay and Orland (Wis and MN)

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
We have wintered in the Rockport/Fulton Texas area for the past two winters with plans to go back this winter. There is no nicer place to stay with abundant restaurants, shopping and the gulf coast only a couple of blocks away. Cost of living is very reasonable. Don't miss movie Night on Tuesdays in Rockport. 5.50 a ticket for seniors and all the free popcorn you can eat.

There are numerous camping resorts in the area with rigs ranging from 13 foot fiberglass classics to 40 foot fifth wheels and the like.

People are awesome as is the weather. We are from Northern Michigan. LOved the mid 70s weather. Especially sunny and warm this year. Our favorite Grocery store is HEB hands down

Come see us!!!!!!!!
Edward83burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:18 PM   #7

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Simon View Post
1- Southern (the warmer area) New Mexico state parks. Very inexpensive with water & electric hook ups ($14/night).
I'm second for NM state parks or commercial campgrounds. Very inexpensive and a nice weather in the winter months. Southern TX is my favourite winter travel destination when I'm bored with snowbirds here in Florida :-)
Old 05-28-2016, 05:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
My dad moved to Apache Junction for the final few years of his life. He used to walk about 5-6 miles each day, and the scenery there was great for that. We visited him there and he, my young son and I hiked up the Siphon Draw Trail in Lost Dutchman SP. Great memories. Look up that SP for photos, and you may decide to spend at least one winter there also.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:16 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Mike, we live 1/2 mile south of the Lost Dutchman State Park, and hike the Siphon Draw trail many times / year.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Casita 17'SD
North Carolina
good sites in florida? need help
John Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco