Boler Exterior - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: 13' Boler
British Columbia
Boler Exterior

Hi, I'm a happy new owner of a 13' Boler.

My dad is helping me fix it up and currently we are repairing the exterior fiberglass. The front corners have a lot of rock chips and I was wondering if there is so kind of coating that could be put on the lower front that is more durable?

I was thinking along the lines of something like what guys put in their truck boxes to protect?

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with anything like this?
firiel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The lower front of our Uhaul had poorly repaired damage. After correcting that I painted the area with a product called Grizzly Grip. Has a slightly rough finish, and is available in a variety of colors.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0111.jpg  
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:20 PM   #3

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
I have the same issue on my Trillium. I sprayed 3 coats of rocker panel (for vehicles) stuff on it before a long trip on many gravel roads. Maybe it helped a bit, but, in the end, I had one corner where the rocks punched right through the fiberglass.

Since then I've been on the hunt for something more permanent as I like to do a lot of back road travel. Looked at rubber/foam chip mats, but they ended up being too heavy and attachment involved contact cement. Then looked at diamond plate - which would have to be custom made to wrap around the corners, so too many $$$.

Then researched the truck bed liners. After looking at recommendations from many folks on truck forums about the good and bad, I found one, called Monstaliner. (Magnet Paints Manufacturers High Performance Specialty Coatings). I emailed them requesting samples which they sent for free in the colours requested. Also watched quite a few youtube installation videos from them and others. It's a do-it-yourself material that is rolled onto a clean surface. For one gallon of tintable bedliner that includes 2 rollers, paint brush, scuff pad and drill mixer, the cost is $145.40 US
Then you need to purchase the colour pigment concentrate in the colour of your choice. 1 gallon needs one 8 oz. can of Monstashade - the darker the colour the more expensive. Eg. Desert Sand $18.50 US.

The samples that arrived showed the thickness of the material and I was impressed. Due to the 30% difference in the US/CDN dollar, I'm waiting until the exchange rate is more friendly. Monstaliner has me convinced that it's the best, easiest, long-lasting do-it-yourself material. Also has UV protection.

Good luck in your search. Please share your results!

Tags
boler