Seam tape alternatives for Ensolite in a Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #1

Name: sean
Trailer: Boler 1973
Alberta
Seam tape alternatives for Ensolite in a Boler

Hey, has anyone had any success with retaping the ensolite seams of their Boler? Our elephant skin is in pretty good shape and apart from a couple panels needing regluing we thought it might be a better route to try to retape before caulking and painting. We've bought replacement foam tape with similar results as I have read on the forum and thought maybe an alternative would be a vinyl tape with a lower profile and better adhesion. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? The caulk and paint work that Ive seen looks awesome but I'm try to keep things as old school as I can, even if it isnt as practical as the other route.

Thoughts?
A_Generalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Get a paintable siliconized acrylic caulk, fill the gap to level, let it set for about 10 minutes, then dab it with a sponge to blend the texture.
Let it dry then paint the interior. Watch the seams (almost) disappear!
You can still buy the tape from Scamp but it is virtually useless.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #3
AKS

Name: Amanda
Trailer: 1977 Boler '13
Tennessee
If it were me I would maybe try to use the Scamp stuff, then move on to painting if you can't get that to work. Was your tape totally missing?
AKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #4

Name: Robyn
Trailer: 75 Trillium
Ontario
Hi,
I posted this somewhere else but I couldn't find it. We used non skid tape. We bought it in bulk. It has a fine sandpaper texture. We added some extra glue to it. Then we primed the walls with Zinsser 123 water based primer. I took one of the shelves into Benjamin Moore and had them colour match with a high gloss "top of the line" interior paint so the walls match the fiberglass. I also painted out the "wood look" doors. It looks really great and easy to clean with the high gloss paint. Unfortunately I moved and left the paint behind so I don't have the formula anymore.
Dylemma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #5

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKS View Post
If it were me I would maybe try to use the Scamp stuff, then move on to painting if you can't get that to work. Was your tape totally missing?
Bits and pieces were still attached. I think the previeous owner used some type of adhesive to keep it in place but age must have worn it off. Bought some double sided foam tape from the dollar store to test. Its gripping the ensolite pretty good but exposed adhesive is picking up a lot of dust etc.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:28 AM   #6

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylemma1 View Post
Hi,
I posted this somewhere else but I couldn't find it. We used non skid tape. We bought it in bulk. It has a fine sandpaper texture. We added some extra glue to it. Then we primed the walls with Zinsser 123 water based primer. I took one of the shelves into Benjamin Moore and had them colour match with a high gloss "top of the line" interior paint so the walls match the fiberglass. I also painted out the "wood look" doors. It looks really great and easy to clean with the high gloss paint. Unfortunately I moved and left the paint behind so I don't have the formula anymore.
Non skid tape? That sounds like a smart alternative. I was even thinking a vinyl tape with a strong adhesive would work as well...just have to find one.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Generalist View Post
Non skid tape? That sounds like a smart alternative. I was even thinking a vinyl tape with a strong adhesive would work as well...just have to find one.
The big issue with using tape is you are applying it over an uneven surface. So a standard vinyl tape would not have enough surface area to stick to. The only place it would adhere properly to is on the top of the bumps as that is where it will make contact. That means it is only making contact to a marginal amount of the surface which means more likely to failure.

A good alternative way to have a seam filler with some texture to it.
You can squirt acrylic caulk into small cup, mix in some of the anti slip grit you can purchase at the hardware store and trowel that onto the seams. A very small, offset, artist palette knife makes the perfect small trowel for the task.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:00 AM   #8

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Generalist View Post
Bits and pieces were still attached. I think the previeous owner used some type of adhesive to keep it in place but age must have worn it off. Bought some double sided foam tape from the dollar store to test. Its gripping the ensolite pretty good but exposed adhesive is picking up a lot of dust etc.
I read some where that you dust the outside with cornstarch. I suppose to take away the stickyness so dust doesn't accumulate. I haven't tried it yet, going to look for other alternatives first. (Like non skid or vinyl tape). I don't want to paint the ensolite, mine is in pretty good condition should be better with a good cleaning.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:14 AM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I had decent luck using the Scamp seam tape IF also used 3M 77 spray adhesive. Had to mask off the seam so I didn't spay glue all over the wall. But a light spray along the seam on the elephant hide and light spray on the tape adhesive side gave a good bond.

I would not write off caulking as an alternative but personally would rather have a white caulk line that shows, or is just blotted with a wet sponge to texture blend than have to paint the walls in order to try and hide the seam completely.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler