Adding a tv antena to a casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2017, 11:05 AM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Adding a tv antena to a casita

I'm needing advice to add a king ranch antena to my casita independence I'm not sure how to, make it portable or permanent, and which one is the best to get more channels.
Thanks for your support
Linda
Txlmt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txlmt58 View Post
I'm needing advice to add a king ranch antena to my casita independence I'm not sure how to, make it portable or permanent, and which one is the best to get more channels.
Thanks for your support
Linda
Not sure what a king ranch antena [sic] is. Do you mean item three on this diagram? The only thing I find with Google for a king ranch antenna is for Ford vehicles.

Or maybe you mean a King Jack antenna.

What do you want to receive? The latter would work well for television.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #3

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
antenna

Linda, my wife and I watch tv in our Casita . In my experience the more remote locations you camp in, the less number of channels available. Even with a good antenna I have found that a majority of the channels we receive are broadcast in a non-English speaking language.

My suggestion is to get a good portable antenna, AND a TV with a DVD player.

In many locations Grocery stores have Red Boxes that rent DVDs for a buck or two.

I chose the Giant Omni Pro. It is portable, has its own stand or has a magnetic base which holds on to the Fiamma awning well. This antenna is multi directional but does require being plugged in to AC or 12v. I plugg mine in to the outside AC socket, place the antenna on the top of the awning and run a coax cable to the antenna/ cable socket on the top of the Casita, drivers side.
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
giant 1.jpg   giant2.jpg  

Old 10-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I wanted to try the King Jack antenna, but didn't want to cut a hole in the roof of our Casita so I made a telescoping pole using PVC pipe and mount it on a steel pipe bolted to the bumper. I carry it in the truck when traveling. It is a somewhat directional antenna, has a booster that works through the coax cable, and I use a signal strength meter to get the best reception. A permanent mount on the roof would be best, but I still can't bring myself to make that hole. Our Casita has the original flip up antenna that works OK, but at times the King Jack is better.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Here's pictures showing how I mounted my King and store the poles.
My poles are made from a 10' fence top rail that has one end reduced that fits into the next. I have it cut into two sections.
For best results I've found it needs to be slightly higher then the AC unit. I made a coax cable just long enough to reach the cable jack mounted on the trailer. The King Omni has the amplifier built into the actual antenna section and 12 volts DC either from the 12 volt jack or AC adapter in connected ona small PC board that has antenna in and out along with a 12volt connector.

Bob & Mary, King makes a "Bat Wing Amplifier" for your old bat wing antenna.
Had I known that I may have tried it first. I can't locate it now but found it on a piece of literature.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Extended.JPG   Joint.jpg  

Storage.JPG   Mount.JPG  

Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:24 PM   #6

Name: Linda
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Thanks that looks good
Txlmt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:29 AM   #7

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 1989 Casita 16 footer
Tennessee
Casita external antenna

I recommend finding a place on your casita for an external antenna jack.
Local can be received pretty easy,but for distance it's directional and altitude
Matters.So I have an aluminum C channel two foot long on top of our Casita for ham Radio,scanner,tv antenna.
Right now at home,have a two foot wire on the tv connector and receive local.
Eddie
Eddie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie B. View Post
I recommend finding a place on your casita for an external antenna jack.
Local can be received pretty easy,but for distance it's directional and altitude
Matters.So I have an aluminum C channel two foot long on top of our Casita for ham Radio,scanner,tv antenna.
Right now at home,have a two foot wire on the tv connector and receive local.
Eddie
Well I guess we are talking about TV antennas after all and not a king ranch antenna...

So I use a <$20 bow tie antenna mounted on a sleeve (PVC pipe) that simply slides on the top of a fiberglass mast set into a flag / mast hitch receiver mount, and then I run the cable to a jack on the body of the camper as Eddie suggested. It's a little bulky but only takes 1-2 minutes to set up. It allows the antenna to get well above the camper but one thing I have found is that a few occasions, putting it up in the air like that results in poor reception because the leaves in the trees block the signal. While it is almost always better to have an antenna higher, once in a while mine works better lower or in one case even set on the picnic table (pointed toward the transmitter of course).

I use a hitch receiver on my camper for the mast and mast mount, but you could use your tow vehicle. Just be sure and take it down before you drive away.

Its not the most convenient but it was cheap for me and also allows a ham radio antenna option also.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
This is the mount for my TV antenna mast. The external coax jack is above it, about the top of the rear window. In the rear side cabinet I have a switch to go from the original Casita antenna to the external jack where I'm either connected to campground cable or the King Jack antenna. I also have a booster connected to the original antenna but still find that in some campgrounds nothing works so I'll read a book.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0931.jpg   IMG_0932.jpg  

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita