About to buy a Casita...what options should we buy? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2018, 09:06 PM   #1

Name: Marty
Trailer: in the market
Texas
About to buy a Casita...what options should we buy?

Thanks to everyone who talked to us today in Quartzsite. We had a great day touring people's trailers. Everyone was so generous with their time.

Given that we live in Dallas, I think we have decided to buy a Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe.

Any advice on which options we should add and which we should skip???

Your thoughts are appreciated!
marthacoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:42 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
One thing about options, consider where you might be camping, instead of where you live. I see where people don't think they need a furnace, or AC, or whatever, based on where they live. But many will camp in areas where the climate is not the same as their home base. And the longer the trip, the more variability in weather you might see. We took a month long trip out west last May. Lowest temperature was about 24F, highest was 105F.

As I recall, Casita came standard with AC, but no furnace. I'd pay for the furnace.

TV: I went to a lot of trouble setting up a TV in our rig. In our case, in about ten weeks of camping last year, we used the TV one time. Really a personal choice there. I recently removed ours.

LED lighting: IMHO, Should be standard in all RVs, (its not). I'd get it for sure.

Extra outlets: very handy, inside and out.

Vinyl flooring: I'd pay extra to get vinyl flooring of your choice over carpet. Carpet hard to clean, not really camping friendly.

High lift: I'd get it, ground clearance is a plus.

Electric tongue jack: a nice to have, next trailer I get will have one.

Awning: always.

Fan for frig: good idea.

Microwave: I'd get one.

Larger water tank: I'd get one.

Detachable power cord: Not on Casita's list, I'd bring it up.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:01 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I agree with Bill on most of it, but we do use the TV, have never used the water tank, only the city water connection, do not want an electric tongue jack because I installed a Ultimate Jack so I can open the truck tailgate while hooked to the trailer. Don't know if there is an option for electric water heater, I modified ours to work on electric. We like having an awning. Have never used the furnace or A/C but would get both if ordering a new trailer. We like our SD model and would buy one again. Would prefer the high lift and 15" tires, but since wife is short the standard suspension makes it easier for her to get in and out. Ours did not have grab handles by the door so I installed one, maybe they are standard now.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #4

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
options

Martha, good day!

We picked up our new Casita last Sept. A member of the Casita family gave a bit of advice which may be helpful in your choice of options. If you think you may ever sell your new Casita, pick options that others would also want. May seem strange now, but may be a good idea in 5-10 years. That being said, We added most options offered by Casita and do not regret any of them. If we stay in a park with showers, we always use theirs, but it sure is nice to have your own when you need it. LED is a no brainer, definitely. Electric tongue jack is really nice, I am glad we got it. Get extra interior lights, extra 12V outlets and outside electrical outlets. Casita will install interior lights where you need them , if you ask. We use the heater frequently, I would add one, unless you know you will never need it. HOWEVER, for resale, I believe a fully optioned Casita is a good selling point.

High lift kit ? We got it and do not generally go off road, but makes it easier to wash and wax the wheel wells and why not?

Good luck on your choices and happy times with your new Casita.

Mark
Old 02-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #5

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
Skip the LED's and get a set of 10 from Ebay for $11 - works great for years now - no interference either. Skip the TV - get a 24" HDTV/DVD combo with 12v power and 120V power from BestBuy Inisignia brand. Skip the TV antenna - useless - get the $10 HDTV omni directional TriQuest non powered one from BigLots that is 12" square and 3/4" thick - works great for years. Get the Casita installed TV mount for $15 to mount the Insignia one on. Skip the cable hookup - put your own cable under the cabinet and run it to the electric plug in door - no extra hole in the roof to leak - works the same and costs less. Skip the TV table - more holes and not needed - can get PVC shelf installed later for less from RV Widget Works. Get the high rise axle. Get the vinyl floor - much easier to put a thow rug on and take outside to clean. Skip the furnace - instead get a small ceramic cube heater from WalMart for $20 - it will not run you out of the trailer in 3 minutes like the furnace and you get lots more storage. Skip the microwave - get a small $50 one from WalMart (unless you want the built in one - I have a brand new one for sale if interested for $75). Skip the electric jack - the manual one is really easy and if you want power just use a cordless drill after taking the manual handle off. Get the Andersen hitch set up - AWESOME! Get the range cover. Skip the sink cover - use a cutting board instead. ---- Get propane filled and tires balance when leaving Casita -See Larry at Little House Customs and get what you want as soon as you buy the trailer - you will get the most use from them if you buy them now - Fast gray, Vent mod, screen door pull bar, shocks, jack-e-up, hitch, etc...
Old 02-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #6

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
What options?

No one has mentioned the 3 way fridge. We love it that we can run ours on propane when camping off grid like National Forest campgrounds and other cgs that do not have electric. We have 2 propane tanks, love that too, don't have to worry about running out.

Awning with pool noodle keeps some of the rain water from running onto the windows. We installed eye brows that help a little too.

We would love to hear from anyone who figured out how to keep rain water from running off the roof into the open windows.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
New York
What options to buy

I picked up 2018 Casita 17’ Spirit Deluxe last November. I got all the options including solar. Good to have loaded version for resale, though I don’t think I’ll ever sell it.
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:22 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Electrical outlet above the dinette, Electric jack, AGM Battery (filling is a PITA), Cut-off for battery. cable TV outlet, Vinyl Flooring, Range Cover, mostly all the options.
Tom Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:57 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Not a Casita owner, but I'll speak to the furnace. Our used Scamp came with one, which I thought I'd never want or use. Since then we have experienced several winter campouts in the desert in which the days were wonderful, but overnight temperatures dipped into the 30's. Flipping on the furnace to warm up the trailer before venturing out of the covers- priceless!

Electric heaters are quiet and put out an even, all-night heat... but only if you have hookups. We didn't.

I vote for an LP furnace, or better still, both.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #10

Name: Marty
Trailer: in the market
Texas
How long did it take for your Casita to be delivered?
marthacoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:37 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Not a Casita owner, but I'll speak to the furnace. Our used Scamp came with one, which I thought I'd never want or use. Since then we have experienced several winter campouts in the desert in which the days were wonderful, but overnight temperatures dipped into the 30's. Flipping on the furnace to warm up the trailer before venturing out of the covers- priceless!

Electric heaters are quiet and put out an even, all-night heat... but only if you have hookups. We didn't.

I vote for an LP furnace, or better still, both.
Our 1999 Scamp did not have a furnace
Our 2013 Casita has a furnace
Made the mistake with our Scamp but only made that error once

Buy the options that you want and need , not what some else tells you that you don't need.
We bought almost all the Casita options and don't regret buying any of them.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:03 AM   #12

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthacoleman View Post
Thanks to everyone who talked to us today in Quartzsite. We had a great day touring people's trailers. Everyone was so generous with their time.

Given that we live in Dallas, I think we have decided to buy a Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe.

Any advice on which options we should add and which we should skip???

Your thoughts are appreciated!
Skip $300 microwave and buy one from Walmart for about $50-75. The trailer comes with plug-in in the cabinet. Use extra room for storage around micro even with micro in it. Also if micro goes bad you have to get a special one if it is built in. High lift axle definitely needed with 15" tires. More tire choices with 15". Hot water tank should be propane/electric with electric ignite on propane mode. A/C should have heat strip in it. Get furnace also because if it is cold and you aren't plugged into electric you can keep warm. If the TV antennae is still built into the roof and isn't free skip it. They don't work unless you are in a large town and have clear site of towers. Water tank is your preference on how much you use and how much boondocking you do. If lots of boondocking then get 25 gal tank. Don't get carpet on floor! If I had it to do again I would have paid for linoleum and used throw rug runner. We have a cat and keeping up the litter and dirt from our feet is a nightmare. Carpet is hard to sweep even with a vacuum cleaner. Awnings are pretty flimsy. We got one and have used it maybe 5 times in 11 years.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #13

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthacoleman View Post
How long did it take for your Casita to be delivered?

6 months

Tags
casita