Lil Bigfoot floor ridge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2018, 06:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 79 Boler
Registry
Lil Bigfoot floor ridge

I can't find any other post about this... last summer I noticed a slight raised edge or ridge under the vinyl flooring. It goes from side to side, from the closet to the kitchen cupboard. No softness, just a discernible edge like something has lifted up under there. I don't have any water issues (that I know of) and nothing else seems to have changed.

I can't lift the flooring as it goes right under all the cabinets.Does anyone have photos of what lies beneath the vinyl?

I started wondering if the axle had anything to do with it as it runs above it. Could it be shifting or bending, I really don't know.

My plan is to take it in for an inspection before camping season starts.

Any insight is appreciated.
paulaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:59 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I can imagine how moisture under the seam might cause swelling. Others will know more.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #3

Name: o
Trailer: not in the market
Ontario
I have a 1993 Lil bigfoot and under my floor is the entire fiberglass body shell.

Do you have any pictures to post.
greg0066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:59 AM   #4

Registry
I'll try to take a pic today, but it won't show much. The edge is more felt with the foot. Yes, it is all fiberglass shell, but there must be a subfloor between the vinyl and the fiberglass. Maybe a seam in the subfloor right under there?
Old 04-08-2018, 06:24 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Yes, there is wood down there somewhere. Some manufacturers fully encase the wood subfloor in fiberglass top and bottom; others leave the wood exposed on top of the fiberglass lower shell. Can you tell by looking inside the cabinets what's under the vinyl finish flooring? Fiberglass or plywood? Does anyone know how the Lil Bigfoot floor was constructed?

If the wood subfloor is exposed on top, then yes, you could be feeling a seam that is perhaps popping loose a little on one side.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #6

Registry
Don't think my pics will help much. One shows the underside of the trailer.(sorry it's upside down) All fiberglass and you can see the axel in the background. Inside the flooring goes under cabinets. I did peel back some inside a bin. That looks like fiberglass on top. I may need to pull it more apart.

If anyone has pics of the floor construction of a 13' Bigfoot, I'd love to see them.
Attached Thumbnails
20180408_120240.jpg   20180408_120448.jpg  

Old 04-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #7

Registry
Well, I searched way back to 2006 and found this diagram of the floor. Seems like the plywood subfloor is just fiberglass feathered in around the edges, bonding it to the body. Now, I'm really wondering what's going on under there.
How did moisture get in there?
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #8

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Paulaj I also have a 93 13' "Lil" Bigfoot. The door under the clothes cabinet next to the entrance door; had rubbed the vinyl flooring thru the top pattern, with a speck of surface before rubbing into the floor backer. ( done before I bought the trailer 8 years ago). Door, difficult to open, just a little pull and it was open. I decided to replace the floor covering with vinyl roll flooring; because the laminate wood flooring is 1/4'" thick +-. I cut the existing door off 1/4" before replacing the vinyl, It cleared the bump you have written about. i removed the existing vinyl, a year or so later. I removed it under the front bench. The vinyl under the front bench, was rolled up on the edges where there had been water leak at front window. I used a paper pattern to match the entire floor including under the front bench ( Porta potty my also have leaked here in the past. ) When I pulled up the vinyl; there is a seam running side to side at our bump. I filled and sand over the entire floor. I used a straight edge to see the concave or raised bumps over the 3/4" plywood floor. I used a belt sander to flatten the raised seam until a straight edge showed it as flat. Under the front bench or under the clothes closet, or at the entrance door; I find no indication that the plywood is compromised by water. In one piece I rolled up the new vinyl laid it in place starting at the rear to front and under the front bench, made sure it fit perfect glued it down. I did not remove it from under any other cabinets the new flooring is tight up against all sides A little aside; I put a flooring piece in the clothes cabinet. Shelf supports up the sides. fit 2 shelves above floor. It now holds pots and pans on the bottom floor canned goods and then light items on top shelf. Horizontal support rails along front edge of shelves to keep cans in place. pulled door shut when traveling with an attached stretch strap attached to the top of the door and over to the entrance door. I used a antique rough lumber look. I have seen some gorgeous looking sheet vinyl.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:27 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
Paulaj I also have a 93 13' "Lil" Bigfoot. The door under the clothes cabinet next to the entrance door; had rubbed the vinyl flooring thru the top pattern, with a speck of surface before rubbing into the floor backer. ( done before I bought the trailer 8 years ago). Door, difficult to open, just a little pull and it was open. I decided to replace the floor covering with vinyl roll flooring; because the laminate wood flooring is 1/4'" thick +-. I cut the existing door off 1/4" before replacing the vinyl, It cleared the bump you have written about. i removed the existing vinyl, a year or so later. I removed it under the front bench. The vinyl under the front bench, was rolled up on the edges where there had been water leak at front window. I used a paper pattern to match the entire floor including under the front bench ( Porta potty my also have leaked here in the past. ) When I pulled up the vinyl; there is a seam running side to side at our bump. I filled and sand over the entire floor. I used a straight edge to see the concave or raised bumps over the 3/4" plywood floor. I used a belt sander to flatten the raised seam until a straight edge showed it as flat. Under the front bench or under the clothes closet, or at the entrance door; I find no indication that the plywood is compromised by water. In one piece I rolled up the new vinyl laid it in place starting at the rear to front and under the front bench, made sure it fit perfect glued it down. I did not remove it from under any other cabinets the new flooring is tight up against all sides A little aside; I put a flooring piece in the clothes cabinet. Shelf supports up the sides. fit 2 shelves above floor. It now holds pots and pans on the bottom floor canned goods and then light items on top shelf. Horizontal support rails along front edge of shelves to keep cans in place. pulled door shut when traveling with an attached stretch strap attached to the top of the door and over to the entrance door. I used a antique rough lumber look. I have seen some gorgeous looking sheet vinyl.
Thanks for the reply....but I am having a little trouble following you.
So, when you lifted the original vinyl, you say there IS a seam in the plywood right where I feel the edge? And you had the same bump in your floor. Which you were able to sand smooth with no signs of water damage. That makes me feel a bit better, except my edge only appeared 2 summers ago. So, something caused it to lift.

And you didn't remove any cabinets to replace the floor? Just cut out the original and glued down the new vinyl after levelling? Should the floor be sealed with anything before the new vinyl or just glued to the bare wood?

I may have to look at removing the visible flooring and do an exploratory.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #10

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I assumed the flooring was ok ( evil judgement ?) I removed the back window sealed the molding. there was stained rat fur. Drilled holes in the track below the side windows, sealed under the door,removed the front window.sealed molding. stained rat fur. sealed under the fridge door.checked at wheel wells inside looked for leaks none seen. used removable plastic behind entrance door at fridge, loose not taped to door,to block possible water spray while traveling, loose easily removable do not think the frame or axle would effect leaks, check all cable wire holes .also at rear lights , brake line wire, gas line entrance. front wire and gas hole. roof vent. I had a leak here. removed it sealed molding; it did leak. Where else could water come in? If you find one seal it. Is it wet under vinyl ? sealing the joint after sanding ? I think water evaporation can vent under vinyl under cabinets at wall ?
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot