Attractive & Strong Curtain Rod for Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2018, 11:12 PM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Attractive & Strong Curtain Rod for Scamp

Hi Everyone,
After many attempts I'm still on a quest for an attractive and strong curtain rod system for the Scamp. Remember, now, I am a "glamper". No reflectix or ugly makeshifting is allowed! I prefer to have "double rod holders" as I hang blackout (hand-rolled) shades behind my traditional curtains.

When I search "curtain rods" in our FGRV forum I get well over 250 hits. While I have not read them all, past postings on this topic generally, are not helpful to me. I am trying to work with the pre-installed curtain rods and holders that come with the Scamp. To my mind they are sub-standard being the cheapest rod and holders available. I have replaced the rods with ones that have a wider diameter which stay in the rod holders better than the skinny rods that came with the camper. The problem is that I "change out" my curtains frequently and in doing so the cheap rods tend to bend and weaken and the finials fall off. I have tried to insert a strong rod inside the regular rod.

I am looking for better quality, good-looking "cafe curtain rods" at Bed, Bath and Beyond as well as elsewhere. Unfortunately, I will not be able to replace the curtain rod holders because they are riveted into the trailer's frame. My trailer is 7 years old now and I've noticed some rivet buttons are popping off. Maybe it is time for me to consider replacing the curtain rod holders...16 rivets, yikes! And I have no idea how to do it. I need to find someone experienced who can do it for me.

The back curtain rod is the most problematic, at about 45" wide it sags badly. If there were a support hook in the middle of the cabinet above it would help. I'm very adverse to drilling in the interior fiberglass because one mistake could ruin it.

To further complicate matters, I would consider a "wrap-around" rod but want to have confidence that it will be attractive and strong.

Many thanks for reading my request. I would appreciate any ideas with photos, please.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 046.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 047.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 019.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:10 AM   #2

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
If you decide to keep the existing brackets the Ikea IRJA curtain rod is very strong and fits in the cafe curtain rod brackets in our trillium. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70117172/
The finial is plastic and not the most attractive in the world, but for $1.79 I can live with it.

I went with the Ikea curtain rod after getting really frustrated trying to find a sturdy replacement cafe rod.

I did paint the existing brackets white to match the curtain rod.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:16 AM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I got rid of the yellow (gold) plated, awful, thin metal rods very quickly. The long ones, two on the loft and one in the very back are now white fiberglass garden stakes. They are stiff enough for any kind of curtain material. They can be cut to length as needed. The challenge is the end treatment (none in my case). The shorter ones are clear plastic tubes, left over from wife's home window shade project. Those flex a lot, but still work. The curtain rod supports needed slight adjustment, using pliers, to match the diameter.

This is just an idea, you could probably make something like it look really good.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
In a very short time I will be ordering one to two types of curtain tracks (not rods) that I will be mounting under my side upper cabinets. The tracks require a cabinet over the window, or else some pretty creative thinking if you don't want to make holes in the shell. It might be possible however to mount the track using the existing rod holder holes by using a mounting block attached with the existing holes, and the track wall mounting bracket.

My objective is to have black-out curtains (Roc-lon®) that I can slid into place over the window blocking almost all light, yet also be able to move completely out of the way (in about one second) so that the entire window is unobstructed. For this I will be making a curve in the track that follows the curve of the shell wall so that the curtains be be slid back into the corner behind the reading lights*. I will use magnets to hold the bottoms in tight to the frame. One magnet attached to the aluminum frame with VHB tape and another on top of, or sewed into, the bottom of the curtain.

I think I have narrowed it down to one of these two tracks:

https://www.curtain-tracks.com/6100-...ain-track.html
https://www.curtain-tracks.com/recma...ck-8-feet.html

I do not have a cabinet over the rear window so yes, its more challenging and I have not worked out how to do it yet. For the interim I will just attach the Roc-lon with magnets on the few occasions I need black-out.

------------

* Using caution that the lights are not too hot and too close to the curtains.

PS (AKA EDIT).. Might use Sailrite as the source, depending on total cost. Lots of good info on their site.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #5

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
I agree the original curtain rods and holders are ugly, but the new curtains I made pretty much hide them. The one across the back had a horrible sag so I replaced it with a stained wooden dowel cut to size. In the center of the window frame right above the rod is a nut. I wrapped a piece of very thin fishing line around that and used it to support the center of the rod. Over a year and no problems. Kr
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #6

Name: Julie
Trailer: 13' Scamp / 1983
Montana
I'm in the process of renovating my (new to me) '83 Scamp.

I have not finished sewing the curtains yet, but I purchased solid 3/8" aluminum rods at the local hardware store and cut them to length. They fit in the original rod holders, but I suspect you could use 1/2" rods also and bend open the rod holders a bit. 3/8" seem to be substantial enough to hold enough fabric weight without sagging, light in weight, and the brushed aluminum look will work with my design vision of light and clean and a little modern Danish (clearly not everyone's ....).

They will need an end cap - I'm finding more available in 1/2" diameter than 3/8", so keep that in mind if you go this route. Screw thread protectors, chair feet and cane end protectors, acorn nuts ... all will work with a dab of caulk to help adhere. (Even the cap to my favorite lip chap stick would work on 1/2"!)
Julie in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
There was a post on here about 5 years ago about Ikea curtain tracks. I took that post and ran with it.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-59202.html

As My 1986 Scamp 13 has fiberglass cabinets at both ends of the trailer. I hung the tracks from them. I like this, it worked well and when you want to open up the trailer for light and view you slide the curtains into the corners along side the end windows for un-obstructed view.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #8

California
curtains

Here is picture of front and rear curtains. Big Snoopy fan here. He makes everyone smile. Can't have a bad day camping with Snoopy.
Attached Thumbnails
031.JPG   010.JPG  

Old 05-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
There was a post on here about 5 years ago about Ikea curtain tracks. I took that post and ran with it.

As My 1986 Scamp 13 has fiberglass cabinets at both ends of the trailer. I hung the tracks from them. I like this, it worked well and when you want to open up the trailer for light and view you slide the curtains into the corners along side the end windows for un-obstructed view.
Yes that seems to work very well with the rear cabinet. It looks like Gilda has a rear cabinet and no side cabinets, same as you. How did you attach the ends of the track (in front of the side windows)?

The post you linked to has the same concept implemented but with only side upper cabinets (like my camper). The side cabinets are lower than the rear window so that the top of the curtains is lower than the window top and they do not black the glass. Thats the main reason I am not doing it that way.

I wonder what the maximum recommended unsupported span is also. I know the tracks I am looking at are supposed to be supported every ten inches.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #10

California
I use the angle wall brackets hung upside down bolted to the side face of the kitchen overhead cabinet and the closet. Then the spacers and the rail segments. I tapped the bottom of the spacers to 1/4-20 as the hole in the spacer is perfect for that and used a round head screw put in from inside the cabinet to leave a smoother surface inside the cabinet so no bolts and nuts sticking up.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #11

Name: Jeff T
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Midwest
My wife made new curtains for our 16 Scamp. We had the same issue with the large back window and the sagging curtain rod. Here is what I did.

(1) The curtain rods in general wanted to hop out of the wall brackets while traveling down the road. I use smaller rubber bands to keep them firmly in place at each bracket. I use this method on all windows.

(2) I used an old fashion drapery hook. Using a pair of pliers I was able to bend it into a "T" shape. The protruding hook was used to provide the extra support for the center of the curtain rod. To secure the support piece I used two of the screws that make up the aluminum window frame. The location of the two screws was about center so it worked out OK.
Jeff T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
after 12 years of hard use, it appears that I might have to replace the braas plated curtain rods. I think I said the same thing last year. We're now on the third set of curtains. Hmmm.
I know why no problems, no cats to climb the curtains.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:58 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:

I installed the KVARTAL track system in my trailer 2 years ago. They are attached under the cabinets/shelves. They work good, and they also look good (anodized aluminium finish).
However, this product is discontinued. I actually bought mine at discount because they were getting rid of them.

IKEA's newer track system is now called VIDGA. It is different from the KVARTAL system, seems better designed and easier to install, but I prefer the look of the KVARTAL tracks. VIDGA tracks have a white painted finish, doesn't match everything on our old and often 'colonial white' trailers.
I'm currently working on sis-in-law's T1300 and we're looking at our options for the curtain system, VIDGA is on the list, not decided yet.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #14

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
I installed the KVARTAL track system in my trailer 2 years ago. They are attached under the cabinets/shelves. They work good, and they also look good (anodized aluminium finish).
However, this product is discontinued. I actually bought mine at discount because they were getting rid of them.

IKEA's newer track system is now called VIDGA. It is different from the KVARTAL system, seems better designed and easier to install, but I prefer the look of the KVARTAL tracks. VIDGA tracks have a white painted finish, doesn't match everything on our old and often 'colonial white' trailers.
I'm currently working on sis-in-law's T1300 and we're looking at our options for the curtain system, VIDGA is on the list, not decided yet.
Thanks for the info.. I for one will look at this as an option to the traditional RV curtain track or rod. But I do already note that one reviewer said:

I had to buy the VIDGA system for another window since KVARTAL has been discontinued. The new system is terrible.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:19 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Thanks for the info.. I for one will look at this as an option to the traditional RV curtain track or rod. But I do already note that one reviewer said:

I had to buy the VIDGA system for another window since KVARTAL has been discontinued. The new system is terrible.
Funny because according to IKEA the VIDGA system is supposedly an improvement or the KVARTAL tracks. I can't say that KVARTAL was super complicated to install, but I looked at a VIDGA animated video and it looks to me they made it simpler. At least VIDGA is easier to pronounce! ;-)
From their website:

"Over the years, we've learned that assembling curtain rails can be complicated. To make a better solution, we started by researching why customers returned the rails. We got the idea for the easy click-together of VIDGA curtain rails from objects like buckles and sports equipment"...
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #16

California
Registry
Many thanks to all the "glampers" out there! You've given me, and others, some great tips. I'll have to keep you posted as to what I end up doing. Keep the ideas coming, with photos.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #17

California
Registry
Steve, Thanks for your photos and directions. If possible, I'd like to have close-up photos of how you connected the track to the back cabinet and side cabinets, after all, "a picture is worth 1,000 words"!
Old 05-13-2018, 10:38 PM   #18

California
Registry
Here's a video of a "Flexible Cubicle and Curtain Track". I'm thinking this might work nicely in the Scamp.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:05 AM   #19

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:

They are no longer selling the Kvartal system, the newer version of it has a different name..."Vidga".
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:31 AM   #20

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Steve, Thanks for your photos and directions. If possible, I'd like to have close-up photos of how you connected the track to the back cabinet and side cabinets, after all, "a picture is worth 1,000 words"!
I will take some Photos for you.

Tags
scamp