New to me Casita Freedom Deluxe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2018, 04:02 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
New to me Casita Freedom Deluxe

We picked up our 91 Casita just 8 days ago, on a Monday, and been working like a slave to get it ready to camp in. Of course when purchased, seller said "No Leaks" but the first night we had a "monsoon" storm and an "made for auto" sunroof may not have been even there.
There was water over the newly replaced floor.
Tuesday a trip to my RV dealer go purchase a sky-light to cover the whole of the sunroof and a few other obvious parts took up most of the day but weather report was for no rain for next few days. Wife got the curtains in and washed them and I inspected the trailer a little closer. Checked fridge operation, Good: Furnace operation, Good: Electrical system, Good. Will need to check plumbing and water heater, after I get water into system.

Wed: Wife and I got an early start but still took almost 6 hours to install the sky-light with each and every bolt needing to be cut to the perfect length to accept acorn nut and squish the butyl tape enough so I know it was sealed
36 bolts in all. Needless to say up and down on ladder down to my shop in basement....Leg cramps tonight for sure...I was right!!!

Thurs: Took the day off. Too beat up to work on it.

Fri: A little over night rain showed my sky-light was a 100% fix but found a drip where previous owner built out the door but this drip was outside the fiber glass but was still landing on new floor so Dicor on this seam and "what the Hell" may as well take all roof vents off and re-seal with butyl tape.
I then found extensive floor damage under a draw in front of camper which needed immediate attention as the body to frame mounting bolt was rusted right off. Got rotten floor all cleaned out and cut new board to fit area.
Enough for today.

Sat: Saturated board with poly and made a u-bolt to re-attach body to frame. While wife was sanding down birch table top to refinish.
While under the camper noticed gas lines just hanging. and waste plumbing pipes were loose and not even glued at some points. Got water into system with bleach to clean tank. No leaks in pipes and water pump acts as should. Water heater heated on Elec. and gas. OHH HAPPY DAY.

Sun: Took day off to move my big 5th wheel down to lot on highway so it may sell if people can see it. Need to get some personal stuff out of it and took the convection/microwave out because wife wants it in the house so we just put in our small microwave in it's place.

Mon: Wife wet/cleaned all walls and ceiling in camper while I covered gas piping with rubber hose to protect it where it snakes it way under the iron frame and re hung it all. I then tried out the masserator pump and it worked fine just to pump water out, then I drained bleach/water after locating the 3 leaky joints and glued them and make sure all was secure to frame.
Another check of list of things to-do.

Tues: Wife finished on table and I did a bit of rewiring to make pig tail longer. When picking trailer up every right hand turn ripped the plug out of the Tow vehicle socket. I also rewired some sloppy wire job inside one of the cupboards so when packing we wont hit them and cause a short.
OPPPS should have un-hooked battery while making pig tail longer...blew the fuse.

Today: Think all work is done but will repack bearing and wife will do general cleaning inside then I will wash and wax outside and later today woll spot seal all the pop rivets and bolt that may be potential leaks with Dicor self leveling roof patch. I swear by this stuff.

Got to get ready to camp, leaving on Friday for 3 days for trial run.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:39 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Sounds like you got the bull by the horns, nothing like tackling a job and sticking with it. Post some pics, we all like before and after pics. You sound like you work on projects like I do, working till it's done, a rest day here and there is always a good re-think it day. Your three day shake-down will most likely bring some new projects to be done. Good Luck

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:33 AM   #3

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
i would have a propane professional check the propane system for leaks. it's recommended to do it at every 5 yrs. my guess is the PO never got it checked at all. and be sure to install a propane detector. have fun with your new trailer!
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:06 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairemr1 View Post
i would have a propane professional check the propane system for leaks. it's recommended to do it at every 5 yrs. my guess is the PO never got it checked at all. and be sure to install a propane detector. have fun with your new trailer!
You can check the fittings, etc. with soapy water, that what many do. Most flare fittings normally don't leak, unless that are not tied down properly and can move around, or hit be something and stressed. Most probably never check for this, but on a re-build, I would, remember you never know what you purchased and how it was used.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:12 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Check the brakes and make sure the adjuster turns while you are doing the bearings. I went with a coiled cord to connect to the tow vehicle. Little house customs has some neat Casita accessories.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0403.jpg  
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:18 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I'm taking day off today, you got me tired. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #7

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Registry
How does a "made for auto" sunroof work on a Casita? Do you have any pictures?
pete_britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:45 AM   #8

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Welcome to the World of FGRV!

Welcome to FGRV!

Paul spent 8-10 hours a day, 7 days a week, for nine months refurbishing our Peanut back in 2015-2016. Lucky for him he had retired because it would've been impossible otherwise. He sure hears you! He says he's taking this month and next off after hearing your tale!

Across the country, we send you best wishes and congrats on your hard work and your trailer (I know it's hard now...you'll truly know it's yours eventually!)

Happy camping when you've finished!

BEST
Kai
Old 06-29-2018, 02:47 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_britt View Post
How does a "made for auto" sunroof work on a Casita? Do you have any pictures?
The made for Auto sunroof didn't work at all on the Casita. Roof of Casita is level or even sags a bit, and the frame of the sunroof conformed to the shape of the roof but the glass did not and left a good 1/32 inch gap in the center of the thing. Water collected in the slight 1/8 inch depression in the whole thing and it just poured into camper. Hence I covered the whole thing with a sky light bubble that a lot of bigger campers have in there showers.

Wife trying to sew new AC covers but our sewing machine is acting up and didn't have any luck last night but will try again today. I will then put snaps on and that will have to do.

I have a 4 inch crack in the top-coat and I will groove this out today and fill it with fiberglass fillet and paint today. Also will apply second coat of wax and we'll be off by 3 PM.....I hope.

I have decided that we will keep the Casita though the summer. After all it took $400+ to register it, then we will sell it and just keep the Boler.

Our 79 Boler is a classic and unique and after selling the Casita I will put the cash into a new axle and some other work into the Ladybug.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita