Bigfoot Water System Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 03:50 PM   #1

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Bigfoot Water System Question

I remember, somewhere buried in some other thread, someone mentioning a grey water tank overflow valve. So if you over fill, you can drain some and not drive around with water sloshing around on the bathroom floor.

I found a valve connected to a hose sticking out the bottom of my camper, right under the bathroom by the grey tank. The valve is in the outside storage compartment right next to the bathroom. I figured that's what it is. But if I open it and turn on the water pump, it just pumps water out that hose.

Anyone know what's up with it? It's obviously connected to the fresh water, not the grey water. I can't think of what purpose it would serve, unless it's somehow used in winterizing.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I have a valve for draining my freshwater tank under the trailer jus forward of the wheel well left side.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:44 AM   #3

Montana
Hmm. I have a drain valve at my fresh water tank. This one is behind the driver side wheel, opposite side of the trailer from the fresh tank. Wish these things had better manuals...
Old 07-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #4

Name: Paige
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Bigfoot water drain system

I have a fresh water valve drain only as far as I know in my 1994 Bigfoot 17. But couldn't you open the large grey water valve while leaving the main dump cap on so only about a quart is released, then close the grey water valve, take of the big cap and drain the quart or so. Keep doing it until you are no longer sloshing around in the bathroom floor. Seems like that could work.
Paige C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #5

Montana
I agree that would work. And in emergencies, I’ve opened the grey valve just long enough to let a quart or so out.

Still wonder what the hose is for, but it’s not much of a concern in the scheme of things
Old 07-03-2018, 09:19 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
A fresh water tank has a drain valve for two reasons. One is winterizing the other is for sanitizing so you can fill the tank with a stronger santitizer mix such as bleach, drain, rinse, repeat, rinse again and after getting all the crud out fill with fresh drinking water. At the end of a vacation trip you can empty the fresh water tank and then before the next trip put in new water. It certainly does taste better that way than drinking water that has been sitting in there for a number of weeks or months.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #7

Montana
I definitely see the reason for the tank drain. But still don’t know what this other drain...drains.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:26 PM   #8

Name: Charles
Trailer: Big Foot
TX
Zach,

On my Big Foot 25 there is a similar hose with valve ... but located under the dinette seat & plumbed in close to the water pump ... it is used to suck RV antifreeze into the system for winterizing ... my trailer manual does not mention this fixture or the winterizing procedure ... but you close a valve near the pump, open this one, put the hose into your jug of antifreeze, and run the pump ... while opening the various trailer spigots one at a time until pink stuff flows out.

I know not much help without pics or a diagram ...
But perhaps this is the purpose of the hose you describe.

Cheers,
CJ
dyno_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:56 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Hmm. I have a drain valve at my fresh water tank. This one is behind the driver side wheel, opposite side of the trailer from the fresh tank. Wish these things had better manuals...
No telling what a PO has done. You say it drains water with the pump. It may have been installed for de winterizing the system. Open the valve and check what's happening in your fresh tank level. Bottom line, some tank is going to loose fluid .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:05 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Attachment 121737My Escape has a "low-point drain". It was discontinued when Thetford changed their toilet in such a way that the "low-point drain" didn't work any more.

It's on the far left, next to the fresh water tank. When opened it would drain all the water from the lines.
Maybe that's what it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Fresh water tank.jpg  
Old 07-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #11

Montana
Alright, thanks everyone.

You never know, but I don't think this was an add-on. Seems original and nothing much had been modified on this trailer before I bought it.

I think the best bet is something to do with winterizing.

Tags
bigfoot