Help Comparing Casita 16' with Scamp 16 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #1

Name: PHILIP
Trailer: In the market
GA
Help Comparing Casita 16' with Scamp 16

I'm hunting for my first fiberglass RV and I've narrowed it down to two. I would appreciate any insight you can add to my understanding of the differences between the Casita 16' and Scamp 16. Here's what I understand so far thanks to the forum:
General differences between the two companies:
Enclosed fiberglass bottom (Casita) vs unenclosed (Scamp)
Casita heavier tongue weight
Casita larger bathroom
Ceiling height, Casita (5'10") Scamp (6'3")
Other differences beside varying floor plans?
Phil E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:12 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
casita uses a sort of short-nap shag carpet for the liner/insulation, scamp uses a fuzzy marine headliner material known as 'rat fur'.

casita 'deluxe' (with the bath) comes with a lot of standard stuff, which is largely optional on a scamp.

the casita 16's are pretty light on the tongue, but a scamp 16 is probably even lighter, depending on equipment, of course.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #3

Name: Barclay
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
We have had both and we found that the interior finish work and workmanship in the Scamp was much better. Example: sink in Casita wasn’t properly set, microwave installation wasn’t secure, etc. small things but frustrating.
Bjkj Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:31 AM   #4

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
We have a 2013 Casita 17' SD. Bought new from Rice. Only issue was mount for the TV was on backwards and it took me 3 months to figure that out, since it sort of worked as it was installed, just now optimum. Only issue, fixed myself after a lot of head scratching. Never contacted Casita about it. If the size does not deter you Casita is top notch in my book, but I have not even been in a Scamp.

Having said that my intention is to stop in Backus to tour the factory this camping season. Want to see the Scamp 5th wheel. We want something bigger than the 17' Casita, and the Scamp 19 may work for us.

The only other trailer that meets our minimal criteria is the AS 25FB twin. But MSRP on a new 2019 with options is $97,000. The AS 28RBQ is $120,000. So used is the only real option...very used.

We visited the Escape factory in Chilliwack Canada and the Oliver Factory in Hohenwald, TN. Looked at the Big Foot. Now we will go to Backus at look at the Scamp 19, None of which are a big step up as far as I am concerned. That is, the Casita does 90% of what these other units do. I would have to pay another $30K to $80K to get that last 10%. Not likely.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
We have a 2013 Casita 17' SD. Bought new from Rice. Only issue was Mount for the TV was on backwards and it took me 3 months to figure that out, since it wort of worked as it was installed just now optimum. Only issue, fixed myself after a lot of head scratching. Never contacted Casita about it. If the size does not deter you Casita is top notch in my book, but I have not even been in a Scamp.

Having said that my intention is to stop in Backus to tour the factory this camping season. Want to see the Snap 5th wheel. We want something bigger than the 17' Casita, and the Scamp 19 may work for us.

The only other trailer that meets our minimal criteria is the AS 25FB twin. But MSRP on a new 2019 with options is $97,000. The AS 28RBQ is $120,000. So used is the only real option...very used.

We visited the Escape factory in Chilliwack Canada and the Oliver Factory in Hohenwald, TN. Looked at the Big Foot. Now we will go to Backus at look at the Scamp 19, None of which are a big step up as far as I am concerned. That is, the Casita does 90% of what these other units do. I would have to pay another $30K to $80K to get that last 10%. Not likely.
We had a Scamp 16 and currently own a Casita 17 SD
Both trailer have exceeded our expectations and as Rzrbrn says they do 90% of what the high end trailers do . We would like a larger trailer but can’t justify the high additional cost just to gain that 10%
I would take a serious look at the Scamp 16 ft Deluxe
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
I'm hunting for my first fiberglass RV and I've narrowed it down to two. I would appreciate any insight you can add to my understanding of the differences between the Casita 16' and Scamp 16. Here's what I understand so far thanks to the forum:
Casita larger bathroom
The quality of the Casita is better than the Scamp. Of course you can get a bad anything and that messes up their ratings. Anytime we've seen a Scamp the exterior is dull. When we see a fiberglass coming we always know the Scamps vs the Casita's by sight. Casita's are mostly bright and shiny if taken care of at all. We've compared many Scamps and they do not have the amenities that a Casita does. Seems like Casita makes a lot of amenities free but Scamp doesn't. Many Scamps don't have bathrooms where Casita puts them in all their trailers. We bought a new Casita in 2007 and love it. Everything works good and it has all we want. I won't camp without a bathroom, bed, stove and fridge.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #7

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Many Scamps don't have bathrooms where Casita puts them in all their trailers.
actually, only the Casita "Deluxe" models have the bathroom, however, non deluxe models are pretty rare.

The most common Casita 16', the "Spirit" model, 'deluxe' includes..
  • wardrobe closet
  • shower, toilet, black tank
  • sewer hose (optional on non-Dlx)
  • front mount A/C (optional on non-Dlx)
  • grey tank (optional on non-deluxe)
  • water heater (optional on non-Dlx)

the 16 non-deluxe has a front couch convertible to bunk beds instead of all of the above.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:27 PM   #8

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
actually, only the Casita "Deluxe" models have the bathroom, however, non deluxe models are pretty rare.

The most common Casita 16', the "Spirit" model, 'deluxe' includes..
  • wardrobe closet
  • shower, toilet, black tank
  • sewer hose (optional on non-Dlx)
  • front mount A/C (optional on non-Dlx)
  • grey tank (optional on non-deluxe)
  • water heater (optional on non-Dlx)

the 16 non-deluxe has a front couch convertible to bunk beds instead of all of the above.
17' Casita's have the A/C on the roof and usually includes a heat strip which is wonderful when it is cold and you have electric. It also has a furnace for dry camping. We have a deluxe and have never seen a Casita without a toilet. Guess they are extremely rare. The 17' seems much roomier.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
So there you have it. If you have a Casita, that is better.
If you have a Scamp, that is better
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #10

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
17' Casita's have the A/C on the roof and usually includes a heat strip which is wonderful when it is cold and you have electric. It also has a furnace for dry camping. We have a deluxe and have never seen a Casita without a toilet. Guess they are extremely rare. The 17' seems much roomier.
well, when you figure a 16" has about a 11-12 foot 'box', adding a foot, plus additional headroom, makes for a significant amount more space. and the roof AC allows for a larger closet.

afaik, the furnaces are an option on all of them, but one that almost everyone gets.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Notice that the responses turned to comparing the Scamp16 to the Casita17.
Casita sells their 17 almost at the exclusion of their 16 and they have stopped production of their 13 altogether. It has been the experience of many buyers that Casita strongly discourages the sale of the 16 and did so with the 13 as well.
The comment about the gelcoat difference is at best mistaken and at least subjective and objectively just plain false.

The Casita16 deluxe does not compare with the Scamp16 deluxe.

It is only fair to say that the Casita16 can only be fairly compared to the Scamp16 Standard. As for amenities, not being optional does not mean free.
Price is comparable with comparable "amenities".

Casita doesn't sell very many 16s, so they are a bit rare on the used market compared to the Scamp16.

Casita16 has a greater angle of departure.

They both offer comparable front baths which are optional in both makes.

I would think that you should start by comparing each website, which provides details of what's available.

There are some differences which are mostly minor in the grand scheme of things.
None of the differences affect the amazing to incredible longevity of either trailer, in spite of the hype.

There are some differences which affect the aesthetics and the individual perception of comfort.
The Scamp has a little wider aisle.
The wall covering is different.
The Casita has bigger wheels.
Interior height is greater on the Scamp.
The A/C is roof mount on the Scamp.

Most of the differences must be seen or touched or experienced to come to a decision as to which you like better. Either would be an excellent choice with subjective details.

If you are buying one for me??... I will take a Scamp Deluxe side dinette... please.

If you are buying one for you??... Look and touch both, and decide which is best for you, resting assured that you are getting one of the finest travel trailers in the world either way.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #12

Name: PHILIP
Trailer: In the market
GA
Thanks, it's been so helpful to read yours and other comments. I'm getting a much clearer picture.
Phil E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:18 PM   #13

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
So there you have it. If you have a Casita, that is better.
If you have a Scamp, that is better

rotfl. better the devil you know, eh?
Old 07-06-2018, 02:18 PM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Response in blue.
Quote:
The quality of the Casita is better than the Scamp. Of course you can get a bad anything and that messes up their ratings.
Impossible to prove. I have read glowing and critical accounts of both makes. No one is collecting and reporting objective data, so what "ratings"?
Anytime we've seen a Scamp the exterior is dull. When we see a fiberglass coming we always know the Scamps vs the Casita's by sight. Casita's are mostly bright and shiny if taken care of at all.
There is no difference in the fiberglass molding process. If there are in fact more dull Scamps than Casitas, it's about the owners, not the trailers.
We've compared many Scamps and they do not have the amenities that a Casita does. Seems like Casita makes a lot of amenities free but Scamp doesn't. Many Scamps don't have bathrooms where Casita puts them in all their trailers.
They're not free; they're included in the base price, which is higher than Scamp. Similarly equipped 16' Scamps and Casitas are comparably priced. If a Scamp lacks an amenity, it was the original purchaser's choice.
We bought a new Casita in 2007 and love it. Everything works good and it has all we want.
I say exactly the same about our Scamp (except we bought ours used). The fact that we both love our 10-year-old trailers is more a testimony to the overall value of molded trailers in general.
I won't camp without a bathroom, bed, stove and fridge.
Both Scamp and Casita offer all those features and more. Or less, if that's your preference. Both Scamp and Casita can be ordered without a bathroom if desired for more sleeping space.
Comparing the Scamp and Casita 16' models, it comes down to layout (each offers floorplans the other doesn't), a few substantive differences (floor design, headroom, A/C type and location, suspension height, fridge size) and subjective impressions of finish materials.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #15

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
....Anytime we've seen a Scamp the exterior is dull..
Scamps seem to be less 'white' than Casitas, more of a light beige. but then, so is our Escape, its distinctly a 'warmer' bone-white than the Casita's bright white.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I like Toyota.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #17

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I like Toyota.
Oh Dear....
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:08 PM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
Casita larger bathroom
I haven't been in a 16' Casita, but the listed height for Scamp seems optimistic. In practice, I found it about the same as a 17' Casita, which seemed pretty close to its listed 6' 1.5" (but not over.)
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:32 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingBob View Post
I haven't been in a 16' Casita, but the listed height for Scamp seems optimistic. In practice, I found it about the same as a 17' Casita, which seemed pretty close to its listed 6' 1.5" (but not over.)
Agree. 6'1-1/2" seems about right.

Thankfully no one in my family is height-challenged (i.e., tall) so any molded trailer works for us in that regard.

When my high school students would make a point to stand next to me and look down, I liked to look right back up at them and say, "God made some people tall, and the rest of us he made smart and good-looking."
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingBob View Post
They are all about equally accurate, so the only fair comparisons are the listed dimensions.

BTW...I do see the difference, about a dozen times at every rally.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp