1981 Bigfoot side marker light replacements - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2018, 07:16 PM   #1

Name: geoff
Trailer: bigfoot
Saskatchewan
1981 Bigfoot side marker light replacements

Hello all,

I have a 1981 Bigfoot 17 Deluxe, and the maker lights are crumbling apart. I would like to find a replacement but I haven't found a light with matching mounting holes anywhere. Does anyone have experience replacing these lights and can you tell me the model of light you used and where they were purchased? I really don't want to be drilling and filling any more holes than absolutely neccessary!

I did try searching the forum for an answer, but I seem to get the same search results no matter what or how I search, and they are not related to my problem .

The current marker lights are labelled :REFLECT-0-LITE, and they have 6 screw holes already. I'll try to link to a photo...

Thanks for your help!!!
geoff
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:18 PM   #2

Name: geoff
Trailer: bigfoot
Saskatchewan
Ok I'll try another link to google photos...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tuCPPTWRgTebaqmX7
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:38 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Common marker light except for all the screw holes that I see no need for. I have some by Grote that measure 2" X 4"
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I replaced all 7 red marker lights and 4 yellow marker lights with these ....

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...connector/580/
Old 08-20-2018, 11:39 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Geoff, a little JB Weld will easily fill the holes then any marker light that will cover the original footprint can be used. I was able to use one of the original holes and only had to drill one extra . BTW, if you should go to LEDs, make sure of the polarity before making the final install to the shell.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
I second the JB Weld suggestion - they have a fiberglass epoxy putty stick available at Home Depot that mixes super-hard. I used that to fill in the holes from the old lights and replaced with Peterson (I wasn't happy with the quality of the Grote brand, so I sent those back). I found some on Amazon and some on various online RV parts stores - it pays to shop around because some of the lights were under $4 at one retailer and were $11 at another - makes a difference when you are replacing them all! The round ones are called clearance lights (my Bigfoot had both yellow and red clearance lights). Look at the number on the original fixtures and search for that on each website to get the correct replacement.

I caution on buying LED light fixtures and recommend going with incandescent fixtures and then replacing the bulbs with LED. I found that many of the LED fixtures are sealed so you cannot replace the bulb when it goes out, but have to replace the entire light fixture. Also, when I was shopping for taillights, I found a great price on a set of LED taillights only to find that once installed, they were not even visible during the day - not at all - so I had to purchase some Bargman incandescent taillights and then replace the bulbs with bright LEDs instead. Worked much better.

Make sure you are getting surface mounted not recessed (it's sometimes hard to tell from the photos online, but the description should say surface mount).

Here are some examples of where to find them (again, check what your old model # is to find best replacement for your needs):

https://www.finditparts.com/products...lighting-m102r

https://www.amazon.com/Peterson-Manu.../dp/B000DN7P5M

In attaching the new lights, I also used waterproof heatshrink connectors to ensure that the wiring would never corrode. Harbor Freight sells them cheap!

Happy renovating!
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I replaced all the markers on our boler with bullseye clearance lights. Then I got some clear lenses and replaced the stock bulbs with colored LED bulbs.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler
Registry
I just replaced all the marker lights on my 1989 Bigfoot with new LED. I just put them over the holes from the old ones. No point in filling the holes as there is a large hole where the wire comes out anyway and it is all under the new light. Sealed around the outside with Dicor and done.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, light