1983 Scamp stove vent window leaking - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2018, 10:30 PM   #1

Name: Julie
Trailer: 13' Scamp / 1983
Montana
1983 Scamp stove vent window leaking

Greetings, again! (Figured out photos, I think!)

I am continuing work on my relatively new to me 1983 13’ Scamp. I’ve been searching the threads and unable to come up with one that addresses this window, and hoping someone will have some advice.

I ‘think’ the small vent window above the stove is leaking, as water collects on the floor under it. Clearly it’s been caulked to high heaven inside and out. I can see the small rivets on the outside holding the window in, but the interior shows nothing accessible except the caulk.

Is there another rubber seal of some sort hidden under the caulk that I should purchase a replacement for and have available BEFORE I start taking this apart to reseal?

Thanking you in advance for taking the time to look ... for
Attached Thumbnails
F7220EAC-BF7A-4108-A859-024D42927377.jpg   FA8EBD96-DDFC-43CA-9D9D-FE595336D498.jpg  

F47087BF-9F0D-4571-8CAF-370DE9E355C6.jpg  
Julie in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #2

Name: James
Trailer: in the market
Michigan
Small dip cap would help
James722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:41 PM   #3

Montana
Thanks, James - that might be the default. I would prefer to fix the leak, however.

Doesn’t seem like anyone else here today has suggestions?
Old 09-02-2018, 03:20 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The only thing under that trim ring is Butyl Putty Tape. You can get that at any local RV store or order it from online sources. It is easy to put on. Most of your labor time will be spent cleaning off the old caulk. You won't need to put new caulk on, the butyl tape is sufficient. You might two layers of it. It will continue to creep out from underneath for a few weeks, that is normal.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #5

Montana
Thanks, KC!

That’s what I was wondering - if there was an additional sealing ring that I should replace after cleaning it up - other than a sealer of butyl, which I have.

Does not sound like you think there is - thank you for taking the time to chime in!

I’m working on the cleaning up the silicone mess on the ceiling vent/hatch now. (Oy - so I’m understanding very clearly why NEVER to use silicone ....)
Old 09-02-2018, 04:04 PM   #6

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie in Montana View Post
Thanks, KC!

That’s what I was wondering - if there was an additional sealing ring that I should replace after cleaning it up - other than a sealer of butyl, which I have.

Does not sound like you think there is - thank you for taking the time to chime in!

I’m working on the cleaning up the silicone mess on the ceiling vent/hatch now. (Oy - so I’m understanding very clearly why NEVER to use silicone ....)
There are some FGRV that have a foam like gasket under the trim ring. But those gaskets have a lot of failures over time. So maybe I am in error and your trailer has one of those.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #7

Oregon
I had some silicone to clean up when I reworked my windows.. I found some silicone sealant remover at my local hardware store, it did help get rid of the last of the residue. Then of course wash and rinse that stuff off too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Motsenbo...1-45/100395888
Old 09-02-2018, 04:52 PM   #8

Montana
I’m about 35 miles from my Home Depot - but I’ll put that on my list to try. Thanks for the tip! I’ve not had great success w goo gone, goof off and one other who’s name I’ve forgotten now. Using plastic razor blades to break through the first layers.

You wouldn’t happen to know what size the rivets are in the roof vent? I will have to do some research this evening. I remember a thread here - I think - talking about that.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:05 PM   #9

Oregon
Remember...this is a 3 day holiday, one of the busiest camping weekends of the whole year.

A lot of the "regulars" who hang out in the forum are out camping this weekend. You will get more responses when they get back home.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #10

Montana
Good point!

I’ll be patient while I clean off the visible caulking .... I should have it spiffed up by November!

Tags
scamp