First time in Scamp, found leak, is it serious??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #1

Name: Val
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
First time in Scamp, found leak, is it serious???

Hello! Me and my husband just picked up a 2004 Scamp 13’ last Monday. I have already logged SEVERAL hours on this site learning so much from all of you wonderful, knowledgeable people!

We took our new buddy out this weekend and had some rain on Saturday. Sunday it had turned nice but we noticed a drip coming from underneath the front passenger side, near the door (pic #2 and #3). Tried to have a good time the rest of the trip and came home Monday to figure out where the leak was coming from. We found it was under the sofa where the electrical wires come in from the battery (pic #1), there wasn’t enough caulk to keep the water out. We were relieved to have found the culprit but we still have the worry of the state of the underneath of our Scamp. Picture #1..it was wet in there but it was obviously draining out. There seems to be some sort of dead space there that is completely blocked off so I can’t see in there to locate any damage/mold/etc.

It has only been used under 10x’s by the previous owners and they had it covered for some of the time. There are NO signs of mold in the storage area, on the edge of rat fur either, although two screws are rusty. I’m wondering if this is normal for the bottom of the Scamp to be able to let water drip through or if we should be worried that there is damage? Is the bottom supposed to be permeable? We have some warm days coming up here in Portland that should dry everything out but should I be worried about mold? It doesn’t smell at all... should I take it apart?

This is my first thread here and hoping that you all can give some sound advice like I’ve been seeing here! I really appreciate you reading this and thanks in advance for any replies!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
BC9152EC-819A-40E7-BDFF-50CCD57AC715.jpg   C551F3B8-8D6B-430B-A65C-D5CB9FB02EA7.jpg  

FFB3524E-E154-45F7-97A4-EA972718CA56.jpg  
vallieweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Invariably leaks of some type happen. I put weep tubes in the low spots in my floor that are inside of cabinets. To make the weep tubes I put a flair on the end of some small diameter aluminum tubing, copper or brass tubing will also work. The flare is to keep the tube from dropping out of the hole in the shell onto the ground under the trailer. The tubes are then epoxied into place and extend about an inch below the underside of the trailer body. After installation I gently squeezed the lower end of the tube with pliers to a smaller slit shaped opening, that will keep more insects and cold drafts out but still allow the water to weep out.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:57 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Where the wires enter the shell I cover the entrance with left over butyl tape from resealing my window frames. I also filled the crack where the front window seal shrunk cracked and left a gap. These are the 2 most vulnerable points of entry and easy to cover with the butyl tape.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
... I also filled the crack where the front window seal shrunk cracked and left a gap. .... easy to cover with the butyl tape.
I think the front window lock strip is a common leak point, and in fact one I suspected from the OP's description. Even on my new Scamp, long before the lock strip (seal) had a chance to shrink, I had a leak there. The lock strip should be cut just a little long, and somewhat forced in, so that when it dries up and starts to shrink, it still makes a tight fit. But if it is cut too short, then the shrinkage will start to reveal a gap sooner. If this is the case, moisture might be detected in the area under the gap, under the center of the front widow. But I can see how water might make it's way under the wall coverings to the floor.

Scamp recommends common windshield sealant for the gap and it worked for me.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:09 PM   #5

Name: Val
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Got it sealed up this morning. But I’m still worried about what might be going on underneath. And how did the water that made it inside Scamp was able to leak back out from underneath??? Is this what is supposed to happen? Do you think I should be worried about mold or damage in that dead space? Thank you all for your replies.
vallieweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Wast it out with some bleach and dry it up then store the trailer with the hatch open. If you sealed it then I would test the area with a hose well above the window line. Run a sprinkler on it for quite some time and check for the leaks return. With the insulating liner in the shell the leak could come from the over head vent and run down the insulation and work its way to the front compartment. My view of the picture of the compartment looks like a fair amount of water got in there so don't assume anything. The wires going into the shell make sure the wires loop down before entering the shell so water follows the wires down and drips off the wires rather than using the wires as a slide directing water right into the trailer.

If you have a vent window over the stove make sure water runs out instead of being directed in. The reverse slope of the window following the shell doesn't help any.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp