Casita Why Carpet? and No shocks? Ruff ride and jiggles stuff lose? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2018, 09:35 PM   #21

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
We have a 2013 Casita SD 17’. Really like the carpet on the walls for temperature AND sound issues. Have shocks, like them. Have many mods done, , like all. Don’t cook inside. Don’t shower or use toilet. We would like a larger trailer, but keep coming back to this as the best for us. This is maneuverable, easy to tow (we use a WDH, but not really needed), and very solidly built.

Best TT on the market, bar none. You may get slightly better, but it will cost you a great deal more money.
Why do you not use the toilet? It is there for a purpose. If you need to go in the middle of the night it is there for use. So far we have had no smells in our bed from cooking but we don't make huge meals. Why have the amenities if you don't use them. I've seen several posts that people don't use the stove, toilet, shower, etc. We don't use the shower much since it wets the whole bathroom but we have in a pinch.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:42 PM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
...I've heard more complaints of the rat fur in the Scamps but not the carpet in the Casita's...
Most of the "complaints" I've read are from people that had not yet purchased a Scamp. Their concerns were based on photos and descriptions, not experience.

It's perhaps not for everyone, but no complaints from me!

I'm sure I could live just as happily with the Casita carpet, if the trailer otherwise met my needs.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:39 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The disliked carpeting on the walls provides some insulation from both weather and noise.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:52 AM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
A few comments to the OP. I've got carpet in my Casita and it's fine. No odors, won't be marked or torn from an impact from sharp edges and there is no seam tape to contend with for examples. Dust, well, I'm in the desert and there's always dust. The vacuum takes care of that . Haven't had a problem with anything coming loose but will say until you learn how to load items from moving around or doors opening and items spilling out. I've seen the videos of the shocks on the Casita and it does look like it helps a bit but a trailer is still going to be a rolling earthquake, I'd call it a 7 instead of a 10.
One thing I've always found interesting from folks getting info from "general" reviews of "any" product, is the fact that very few post good reviews if there're happy with the item, but are quick to post complaints if not. At least here you're getting real world experience from members, one way or another. The floor plan and bed size are the important items to worry about with an egg .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:56 AM   #25

Name: Wayne
Connecticut
Carpeting & Shocks

WUKY,
I have a 2014 Casita SD. I initially had no opinion regarding the carpeting on the walls and ceiling, but have come to appreciate it. We have spent up to 5 months in the trailer at a time and only cook in it when the weather forces us to and then we are careful about what we cook. We do not have shocks on our trailer and have experienced a cabinet opening while traveling. I think the hardware Casita uses is partly responsible, I'm not a fan. I now apply a small piece of duct tape from the fiberglass to each cabinet for my own piece of mind especially on longer trips. Overall we love the Casita.
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #26

Name: Hal
Trailer: 2012 13’ Scamp - a new 2019 next spring !
Oregon
Jin in Az is spot on . I have a 13’ Scamp - walls have the carpet ( rat fur ) and I love the thing so much I’m ordering a new 2019 ( a years wait ) . The way Casitta and Scamp are designed they don’t need shocks . Stop being so picky and get in line for a new whatever you buy
macnmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #27

Name: t
Trailer: Phoenix
California
Shocks, as mentioned, are rare on any trailer. It is not that they aren't needed. It is that the spring rates are set so high that there is little movement to need damping. The reason the spring rates are set so high is so that the trailer has the same ride height full of gear as it does empty. Trailer leaf springs are stiff because they are short and thick.

In the off-pavement world of "Expedition" camping etc. there is a rumor of one Dexter Torflex failing after a long run down a wash-board road. Presumably at the '40' speed of it being a '4-40' road....
Pictures were claimed to have been taken by a prominent mfg of trailers in that world, yet none have ever surfaced. Our own TrailBlazer camp trailer has shocks on it's Torflex axle. The man who built a whole new frame for the then new trailer for the original purchaser to use in scouting Baja's surfing breaks knew that shocks would be a requirement on roads such as those. Our TrailBlazer has seen 1000's of similar miles with no such trouble.

The Rule of Thumb that I frequently apply to trailer suspension is that since passengers are not riding in it that it need only ride smooth enough to not break the eggs or foam the beer.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:11 AM   #28

Name: Alex
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Got the Orbital Machine Works shocks

I'm sure its somewhat less shaking of contents with the shocks. Also, I have trouble getting up and down, so I don't use the stabilizers. I appreciate the dampened movement walking around inside the trailer when parked.

I considered tham a luxury, but nothing is ever too good for my dollhouse.
Alex Segal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #29

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
Casta parts and carpet

I ordered an assembly of rivets and a bag of plastic rivet caps. Arrived in three days. Cost ? Nothing. Then as I was waxing the rest of the trailer, I broke the plumbing vent. Cost ? Eight bucks and 2.95$ shipping!!! So don't buy from rv store!!!
For cleaning the carpet, use Awesome spray cleaner. A buck a bottle and dirt and grime disappear.
The ride is fine. Spice rack never loses a single jar.
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #30

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When shopping for used trailers consider that Dexter axles have a life expectancy of between 15-20 years.
My 1999 Casita started popping rivets every trip when it was around 15 years old and quickly got worse and I have shocks that really helped.
At 19 years old I put on a new Dexter axle this spring and with the shocks it now rides like a dream.
So if your looking at a 2001 trailer expect it to need a new axle if it has not been replaced already.
I believe a 2001 Casita has a welded on axle, as my 1999 did, and that complicates the job.
I installed my new axle bare axle myself, I have newer brakes, drums and bearings was under $300 with tax.
So consider the cost of an axle in the buying decision.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #31

Name: Carter
Trailer: Casita Picked up 12/2016
TN
Shocks

In December 2016, I drove straight from Rice to Ennis to have Larry at Little House put shocks put on my new Casita. I was planning on some rough terrain; otherwise, I would not have bothered. Just another step to make it mine.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:10 PM   #32

Name: Aldrene
Trailer: Big Foot
California
Casita info

Casita, along with many other fiberglass trailers, uses a torsion bar axle that sort of performs like shock absorber. Most small fiberglass trailers bounce a little going down the road, thereby causing some things inside of the trailer to move around. This is due to the light weight of small fiberglass trailers. Follow one going down a country road sometime, and you will see what I mean. You will also see some "oil canning", which is some flexing of the trailer sidewalls which is normal. Carpet on the walls and ceiling of a Casita is used because it looks nice and is cost effective for the manufacturer. We have owned three new Casitas in the past and all of them have been the same. When buying a used Casita, inspect the door jam, striker plate, and latch for wear. If it is excessive, be prepared for some expenses down the road to fix it. If you see any pop rivets coming loose, you will need to install a much stronger heavy duty rivet.
Ron
Aldrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:06 PM   #33

Name: Dale
Texas
Shocks and Carpet

I have owned a 17' Spirit Deluxe for a couple of years now. Just returned from a long trip up into the mountains and have decided it's time to put some shocks on. It's not critical but i think will go a long way to smoothing out the ride and thus help with control while towing. The carpet is actually nice in that it does help with noise and temperature. I do not see any downside yet to it.
Bottom line is don't let these two things keep you from enjoying the other benefits of the Casita.
Dalet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:14 PM   #34

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If the lack of shocks and the carpet on the walls bother you, I’d stop looking at Casita. Brands with shocks are very limited, there are lots of brands without the carpet.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #35

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
I'm glad to hear Larry and Debbie Gamble haven't retired from LHC yet. GREAT people who do GREAT work! Their customizations on Casitas (and other FG trailers) add value to your "egg" at reasonable rates. I had Larry do several "mods" to my 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe back in 2012. At that time, Larry wasn't offering shock absorbers. I had a local welder fabricate some but, he flubbed the job and I had them removed. I'm sure Larry would have gotten it right. Single axle trailers are "bouncy". It's just the nature of the beast (hence the demand for shock absorbers). In 2014, I "graduated" to a 2015 Dynamax DX3-37FB (which I now full-time in). My Super-C has the BEST floor plan I've ever seen and, once I swapped out the "eye candy" OEM furniture with COMFORTABLE replacements, it's a sweet ride! Because it's a TRUE Super-C HDT (Heavy Duty Truck ) built on a Freightliner base, I could start an anvil collection and be able to remain well within weight limits. Casitas are GREAT trailers to start with and, find out if you really like the RV lifestyle BEFORE you spend big bucks.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #36

California
As a long time unlined fiberglass pick-up based camper I suspect that the 'rat-fut' & carpet wall coverings are to help with condensation on the interior surfaces. I woudn't be too quick to peel it off or try to delete it. Note that later model FG pick-up bed shells also come lined with something similar. There's not a lot less fun when camping than waking up at 2:43AM to bedding wet from condensation that has dripped onto you. Unless that all happens Thanksgiving weekend at Eureka Dune when the 2.5 gals of water in a plastic jug next to you has already frozen solid....
Old 10-06-2018, 09:14 PM   #37

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Few if any of the fiberglass RVs have shocks, most likely to hold down cost.
Olivers have shocks as standard equipment and I think it's an important part of the suspension. They also have smooth gelcoat interior walls that are very easy to clean. The insulation is between the inner and outer shells. Stuff can be attached inside with stickyback tape or suction cups, or screws, if needed. We have never seen the need, or had the desire, to carpet the walls.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:03 AM   #38

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUKY View Post
We are considering buying a Casita and the 2 biggest draw backs for us is the carpet on the walls and it having no shocks.
In your seasoned experience please send words of wisdom about these two things.
Carpet seems hard to clean and collects dust, then when cooking oil gets into the air....The top of my fridge at home often has a layer of oil!

Does having no shocks create any problems such as losing seals,bolts etc?

We're possibly buying a 2001 in very good condition in a few days is there any thing to be concerned about?

Is getting parts a pain in the B?

In appreciation,
WUKY
Wuky,

I didn't read the entire thread, and you may have already done something. But.......

The fact that you are considering a nice 2001 model should address some of your fears.

Do the carpeted areas have an odor? Has 27 years and lack of shocks destroyed cabinets or other items?

Look carefully for leaks. Try to determine if everything works properly. If not, try to adjust the price with the seller. Be sure the title is clean and doesn't mention "Salvage" or "Flooded" or other scary words.

If the trailer is nice and priced right, it wont last long enough to worry over for long.

We don't cook anything inside that makes smoke. We "cook" outside. It is called camping.... RVing with everything like we have at home, requires a much larger trailer.

Actually most of our cookable food is prepared at home. And microwaved when ready to eat. We are at the campground to relax and enjoy. Not work!

Good luck and have fun!
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:55 AM   #39

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Yes, an Oliver will be a much nicer build and better equipped. So if you have the budget, by all means, the Oliver meets your requirements. Of course, there is no free lunch. An Oliver will cost about 3X what a Casita costs.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:56 AM   #40

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrene View Post
Casita, along with many other fiberglass trailers, uses a torsion bar axle that sort of performs like shock absorber. Most small fiberglass trailers bounce a little going down the road, thereby causing some things inside of the trailer to move around. This is due to the light weight of small fiberglass trailers. Follow one going down a country road sometime, and you will see what I mean. You will also see some "oil canning", which is some flexing of the trailer sidewalls which is normal. Carpet on the walls and ceiling of a Casita is used because it looks nice and is cost effective for the manufacturer. We have owned three new Casitas in the past and all of them have been the same. When buying a used Casita, inspect the door jam, striker plate, and latch for wear. If it is excessive, be prepared for some expenses down the road to fix it. If you see any pop rivets coming loose, you will need to install a much stronger heavy duty rivet.
Ron
FWIW they call it a "Torflex" axle, but it's not a torsion bar system. At least the unit that I bought to build a genset trailer (APU range extender for an EV) with was not.

Picture a square tube arranged with its sides horizontal and vertical. Now place a square bar inside of that only turned 45° so that a line from corner to corner is either horizontal or vertical. Then fill the air space between them with rubber that is vulcanized to all of the interior surfaces.

Suspension movement distorts the rubber, and being that it is rubber it doesn't exhibit the usual behavior of a metal spring. Thus making it somewhat self-damping.

I wouldn't accept the bounce. It is not the inherent nature of any trailer to do this. It is the nature of springs that are undamped to do this and the mfg not knowing better or not willing to add cost that causes this, and it doesn't have to be that way.

Tags
casita