Scamp Maintenance 1 yr & 3k miles - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2018, 07:54 AM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp - Gently Used
Kentucky
Scamp Maintenance 1 yr & 3k miles

We have had our scamp for about a year since we drove it off the lot. So now I am wondering what maintenance the wheels or axle needs. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 11-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
The answer is in the axle manual.
Pull hubs. Clean, inspect and repack bearings. Visually inspect brakes and tires. Adjust brakes (at starwheel) after reassembly.

By "off the lot", I assume you mean the new lot and not a used lot. If the camper is more than one year old (esp if 4-5 or more) then other maintenance might be due.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:38 AM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
My new 2018 Scamp is two months old and I have put 4k miles on it so far. Here is the question and answer I received from the parts dept at Scamp as to what the recommendations are at 4k miles. Hope this helps.
Jack

Question.
Is there a recommended brand of high temp grease to use on the wheel bearings?

Is it recommended that the old grease be removed before greasing the bearings? Which would mean pulling the wheel off.

Answer.
We do not have any specific recommendation on grease. Any quality brand will be fine.
For maintenance add a couple pumps of grease at about 4k-5k miles. It is a good idea to have them visually inspected every 10k. This would mean completely replacing the grease.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #4

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Someone may know if Dexter or Scamp fills the EZ lube cavity before delivery to the customer. If not, a couple of pumps of grease won't get anywhere near the bearings. There is lots of empty space to fill the first time the EZ lube is used.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Best practice is to repack and adjust ASAP after purchase. Then, having full knowledge that is is done right, you can use the EZ-Lube feature as part of your maintenance schedule.

I hand repack only when I service the brakes, and use the EZ-Lube feature between brake servicing.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
My new 2018 Scamp is two months old and I have put 4k miles on it so far. Here is the question and answer I received from the parts dept at Scamp as to what the recommendations are at 4k miles. Hope this helps.
Jack

Question.
Is there a recommended brand of high temp grease to use on the wheel bearings?

Is it recommended that the old grease be removed before greasing the bearings? Which would mean pulling the wheel off.

Answer.
We do not have any specific recommendation on grease. Any quality brand will be fine.
For maintenance add a couple pumps of grease at about 4k-5k miles. It is a good idea to have them visually inspected every 10k. This would mean completely replacing the grease.

While no particular brand is important, stick with a lithium base to avoid mixing incompatible or dissimilar greases.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp