Scamp stolen in Dallas TX, 7 Nov 2018 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #21
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Question: Is it possible to use a trailers breakaway switch as theft deterrent? Could it be rigged to trip via a steak in the ground and a discrete pulley system?
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Question: Is it possible to use a trailers breakaway switch as theft deterrent? Could it be rigged to trip via a steak in the ground and a discrete pulley system?
Yes it is possible. Many things are possible

Every breakaway switch I have seen is mounted on the tongue or thereabouts so the cable can reach the tug and so that you can re-insert the plug if it happens to come out of the switch. All one has to do is cut the positive lead at the switch and then no brakes. Nail-clippers could get the job done.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:29 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The breakaway switch works off the trailer battery. That means it needs to always be hot. During storage, a solar panel to keep the battery charged may be necessary.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #24

North Carolina
$200 reward now offered:
https://stolen911.com/stolen/stolen-...ass-13-camper/
Old 11-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #25

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The breakaway switch works off the trailer battery. That means it needs to always be hot. During storage, a solar panel to keep the battery charged may be necessary.
The way I understand it, the piece that gets pulled out of the switch is a piece of plastic that separates a pair of spring loaded contacts. No power is used, except when the trailer is completely separated from the tow. The separator is yanked out and 12Volts is applied directly to the brakes. The battery will go dead quickly if that piece is not re-inserted, since the brakes draw a good amount of current. But then, it may not matter, the runaway trailer will have many much more serious problems...
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #26

The breakaway switch is wired to the trailer battery. The trailer doesn't need to be completely separated from the tow vehicle. It will apply the brakes, even if still connected by the chains. It's the when the plunger is pulled from the switch that the brakes are activated.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Old 11-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #27

North Carolina
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
The way I understand it, the piece that gets pulled out of the switch is a piece of plastic that separates a pair of spring loaded contacts. No power is used, except when the trailer is completely separated from the tow. ...
Yes Paul you are correct. And so is Donna. A battery will self-discharge so in storage you would need to top it off or use a battery maintainer (solar or shore power) so that the brakes will get good power when the break-away switch is pulled. But also like I said, simply cut the exposed positive lead at the switch and it is rendered useless. It might take the crooks a full minute to figure out what the hold up was, and then three seconds to cut the wire.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #28

Someplace, somewhere I saw a pic of a breakaway switch placed on the frame close to a wheel. The plunger was affixed to the wheel. Less than one revolution would pull the plunger and apply the brakes. I really don't remember enough about the pic to describe it any better than that. But I remember it required getting under the trailer to put the plunger back in (or even see it). Something to think about if you're really concerned about theft and want to go through with this method.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #29

North Carolina
Quote:
Someplace, somewhere I saw a pic of a breakaway switch placed on the frame close to a wheel. The plunger was affixed to the wheel. Less than one revolution would pull the plunger and apply the brakes. I really don't remember enough about the pic to describe it any better than that. But I remember it required getting under the trailer to put the plunger back in (or even see it). Something to think about if you're really concerned about theft and want to go through with this method.
There is no reason you could not install two break-away switches (or more). The main primary one connected to the tow vehicle, and a second one, more hidden, to deter theft.

Or you could use a small microprocessor with an accelerometer to detect motion, and a relay to apply power to the brakes when the trailer is moved. Or perhaps a GPS unit instead of an accelerometer to apply the brakes when the camper leaves a pre-defined area. The GPIO pins on my RasPi would work nicely.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #30

Colorado
Psychology of theft deterrent

Donna, didn't you once show a door sticker that was intended to deter a thief? I don't remember the exact words, but it was that old fashioned FUD factor at work (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt). Something about "before moving this camper, please..."
Old 11-13-2018, 09:38 AM   #31

Colorado
Quote:
The breakaway switch is wired to the trailer battery. The trailer doesn't need to be completely separated from the tow vehicle. It will apply the brakes, even if still connected by the chains. It's the when the plunger is pulled from the switch that the brakes are activated.
Yes, I agree that the brakes may be applied without complete separation of the trailer from the TV. It depends on the length of the switch cable relative to the safety chains.

Do you know what is in that breakaway box? Is it a redundant battery, or additional electronics?
Old 11-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Donna, didn't you once show a door sticker that was intended to deter a thief? I don't remember the exact words, but it was that old fashioned FUD factor at work (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt). Something about "before moving this camper, please..."
Even passive warnings can be effective enough so a thief will move along
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Old 11-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #33

North Carolina
Quote:
Do you know what is in that breakaway box? Is it a redundant battery, or additional electronics?
Some use a separate battery, some use the house battery. Some have a LED light that shows when its activated (I guess you could call that additional electronics). Some have a clear cover so you can see just how simple it is.

Cut either of the wires and it is DOA.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #34

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Well if you expect to keep the camper in a storage lot with no power source for a month.. then yes.

If you want to be alerted when it leaves you driveway, or when you are away from camp for the day, then it works fine (assuming cell phone coverage of course).

BTW, I have a wireless alarm sensor on my camper than is part of my home alarm system... It does no good when away from home but it does give me a little more piece of mind when it is stored in my driveway which is anytime I not using it.
When I see this kind of thing I often wonder how many times that alarm has bee set off.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:58 PM   #35

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
When I see this kind of thing I often wonder how many times that alarm has bee set off.
Not once in about six months since I put it on the Scamp's door. And in the rest of the system including two more wireless sensors with magnet switches that have been installed a little longer, also no false triggers. I have had two or so false alarms from infrared motion detectors.. but that is in a period of more than 15 years. Its a good quality Honeywell system. Hope that satisfies your curiosity.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:21 AM   #36

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Even in campgrounds I use the wheel boot....especially if you are camping in the Fall with less people around and you're out and about with the tow vehicle. You never know who is coming and going.
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #37

Name: Lee
Trailer: Looking
TN
Justice!

Hope they are caught, you recover your RV with expensive improvements the thieves made, and they are convicted and imprisoned for a long, long time!!!
Lee Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:47 PM   #38

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
I like Donna's sticker and will affix one of those to my trailer tongue. Thank you!

I wonder if anyone's used something like the LG Gizmo Gadget, which is a GPS watch designed for kids. I have had some experience using it to track a relative with dementia and it worked beautifully. Lasted about 7 days in stand-by mode and used the Verizon network. The app was a bit slow but quite accurate and had the option of setting fences, which if the watch left the area would trigger an alarm on my phone. It had other functions as well, which aren't helpful for this application. Many similar devices seem to use T-Mobile, which is a non-starter for this area of Eastern NC. When the device was activated on my VZ account it was $5/month. (and can be turned off/on.) Available on e-bay for $40-90. I'm considering this option.
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:30 PM   #39

Name: Allen
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
This was suggested by someone.. its part of a family of devices, SDKs, etc. The collection of hardware and software projects look like a geek's dream.

https://store.particle.io/products/asset-tracker

I'm sure there are GPS tracking devices that are much easier to use. Even a hidden cell phone can work.
Actually that someone was me A couple of days ago I ordered one of those Particle Electron trackers. I have bigger plans than just doing tracking of the camper. I am also going to connect a temperature probe to it to monitor the inside temperature of the camper. Also going to monitor the air conditioner with some sort of sensor. I hear of people questioning the safety of leaving a cat/dog inside of a camper during the summer while they go out on a hike. It would be disaster if the power goes out, and/or the air conditioning quits. So I am thinking of developing a solution.
Alben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #40

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alben View Post
Actually that someone was me A couple of days ago I ordered one of those Particle Electron trackers. I have bigger plans than just doing tracking of the camper. ..
Ahh that sounds like fun. Its an interesting device and it would be much like the tinkering I was recently doing with the Raspberry Pi. But my next camper related project will be smearing my hand with grease and jamming it into a wheel bearing. Maybe after that I will clean the grease off my hands and play with some micro-electronics.

Tags
scamp