Anyone tow w/Honda pilot & 17FT. Casita - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2018, 11:36 AM   #41

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Cars never needed frames as they do not carry truck loads.
Today all cars are “unibody” to reduce weight.
Real trucks require frames and the additional weight stabilizes the tow vehicle so it avoids the “ tail wagging the dog” problem often encountered when towing trailers with light weight cars.
Always use the right tool for the job.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
So, following that logic, a tractor unit of a semi-trailer should be several hundred times heavier than it is, to tow a trailer load of lead ingots.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:54 AM   #43

North Carolina
The original question concerned a Honda Pilot....now we are discussing weight, mass, wind resistance and stability....next try ft. Lbs of torque, rear end gear ratios, weight distribution, sway controllers, trailer brakes etc and really confuse the issue.

My point was that the Honda Ridgeline is a wannabe “truck”.
I’d rather have my receiver hitch connected to a truck frame than
sheet metal.

Question: is the Pilot built on a frame or is it unibody ?

Toyota 4 Runner/frame....FJ Landcruiser/frame...
Ford Explorer/frame....Etc.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:17 PM   #44

From Chicago Tribune review:

For 2011, the Explorer officially becomes a "crossover," now based on a car platform — the Ford Taurus — rather than a truck platform. And, like the Taurus, the Explorer now comes standard as front-wheel-drive, with optional all-wheel-drive.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #45

Name: Brad
Trailer: Interested
Montana
I do believe the unibody/frame discussion is pertinent to my original question.Not sure where the Ford Exploder comes in but hey I can appreciate a good body uni or otherwise.
Montana Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:18 PM   #46

Montana
Here is a link that explains it all:

https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopp...ed-cros-245716
Old 11-26-2018, 01:53 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Brad View Post
Not sure where the Ford Exploder comes in

I think Uplander probably meant to say Expedition, not Explorer.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:52 PM   #48

North Carolina
Glenn, You are correct ....I did want to say Expedition (my hunting partner owns one)...I am a die hard Toyota owner (FJ Landcruiser and Tacoma).

Most of these discussions are started by folks new to trailer towing and they do need help. In some cases they are trying to use an economy gas saver they already own to tow a travel trailer.....and yes I know a pilot is not an economy car.

I tend to favor tow vehicles that have frames and enough towing power to exceed the minimum required. I currently live in the heart of the Great Smoky Mountains and have towed travel trailers all over this great country from the Adirondack and Green Mountains in the east to the Rocky Mountains in the West. Experience has taught me you can never have too much reserve towing capacity when facing mountain climbs and a heavy tow vehicle helps when descending the mountains.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:26 PM   #49

I live in BC, which is all mountains, including the Rocky Mountains. I also live in an urban area. I have no desire to have more "truck" than I need, nor desire to own a truck at all.

My RAV4 is sufficient in all regards for towing my Escape 17B, and I can park it at Safeway or Walmart.
Attached Thumbnails
19 on the road.jpg   Coqu Summit.jpg  

Old 11-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #50

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Here is a link that explains it all:

https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopp...ed-cros-245716
Like so many articles of its kind, it oversimplifies. Choose a body-on-frame for towing and hauling, it concludes. Towing what? Hauling how much?

Payloads of unibody minivans and crossovers can exceed some full-size pickups, so if you don't pay attention to the details, you many end up with less than you thought. The big advantage of body-on-frame is its modularity. Swap our springs, rear axle, shocks, even frames and you can significantly increase the base payload. For the most part, you can't do that with unibody vehicles.

During Thanksgiving I got to experience riding in two different full-size, 4WD, crew cab pickups, an F-150 and a Tundra. Huge footprints, roomy and well-appointed cabins, but the ride quality was still noticeably truckish compared to my crossover SUV.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:36 PM   #51

Montana
Glenn I was referring to you about the exploder. UPLANDER? what trailer do you tow?I assume that a truck is the best for most larger trailers.A lot of but not all the trailers towed from this forum are smaller fiberglass.I have read this tread over a few times. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nfo-68330.html
Old 11-26-2018, 06:46 PM   #52

Quote:
Glenn I was referring to you about the exploder. l

And, I was responding to Uplander, post #43.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:49 PM   #53

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
My point was that the Honda Ridgeline is a wannabe “truck”.
I’d rather have my receiver hitch connected to a truck frame than
sheet metal.

Question: is the Pilot built on a frame or is it unibody ?

Toyota 4 Runner/frame....FJ Landcruiser/frame...
Ford Explorer/frame....Etc.
The Pilot is the SUV that the Ridgeline is based on, and in turn the Pilot was based on the Odyssey minivan... All Unibody, FWD/AWD.

re: Ford Explorers, as of the last redesign, they are now FWD Unibody. the classic Explorer was built on the Ranger pickup chassis.

For towing light trailers like Casitas, Scamps, a sturdy unibody is obviously adequate, look how many people do it with vehicles like Pilot/Ridgeline, Highlanders, etc.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:15 PM   #54

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
The Pilot is the SUV that the Ridgeline is based on, and in turn the Pilot was based on the Odyssey minivan... All Unibody, FWD/AWD.

re: Ford Explorers, as of the last redesign, they are now FWD Unibody. the classic Explorer was built on the Ranger pickup chassis.

For towing light trailers like Casitas, Scamps, a sturdy unibody is obviously adequate, look how many people do it with vehicles like Pilot/Ridgeline, Highlanders, etc.
Or as my Father use to say “ Just because everyone does it doesn’t make it right “
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:02 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Or as my Father use to say “ Just because everyone does it doesn’t make it right “

Isn't that what everyone's parents used to say?
Old 11-27-2018, 06:05 PM   #56

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
No, but it doesn't make it wrong, either. Towing within manufacturer's specs and in accordance with applicable motor vehicle laws and commonly accepted best practices does make it right.

A Casita 17 towed by a 5000/500# rated crossover with a Class III hitch and working electric brakes appears be a go on all counts.

Are you suggesting there is something objectively wrong with a properly equipped Honda Pilot towing a Casita 17?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #57

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
No, but it doesn't make it wrong, either. Towing within manufacturer's specs and in accordance with applicable motor vehicle laws and commonly accepted best practices does make it right.

A Casita 17 towed by a 5000/500# rated crossover with a Class III hitch and working electric brakes appears be a go on all counts.

Are you suggesting there is something objectively wrong with a properly equipped Honda Pilot towing a Casita 17?
I am not suggesting anything . I’ve towed my 17 ft Casita SD for over 5 years & well over 20,000 miles
From my experience , appearance is often deceiving .
Old 11-27-2018, 07:03 PM   #58

Montana
Steve,
I assume from your comments you tow your Casita with a truck?Have you ever towed it with a newer Pilot? If so i would like to here your opinion on it.

Thank you,
Brad
Old 11-27-2018, 07:35 PM   #59

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Steve,
I assume from your comments you tow your Casita with a truck?Have you ever towed it with a newer Pilot? If so i would like to here your opinion on it.

Thank you,
Brad
I have never towed my Casita with a newer Pilot . I have towed with or been a passenger while towing in a Pilot , Ridgeline , Sante Fe , Odyssey , Frontier and RAV4 .
I own 2014 Ram 1500 V8 which I have never nor will I ever recommend as a tow vehicle for a Casita 17 SD
I would suggest you look at “ Trailer Weights in the Real World “ and look at the actual tongue weights for a Casita 17 , several are well over 500 lbs

Best Wishes
Old 11-27-2018, 10:50 PM   #60

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
This back and forth about what a real truck is and whether a real truck tows a small trailer better is not helpful to those who are trying to get some meaningful advice and information.

Maybe go to a social media site like FB if you want to have an entertaining debate.
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita