Scamp Furnace removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #1

Name: Pat
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
Texas
Scamp Furnace removal

Has anyone removed a furnace from a 19' scamp. Know where I can get instructions? Do I have to remove outside vents?? Help!! I can't seem to get it out to replace the circuit board.
patsublett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsublett View Post
Has anyone removed a furnace from a 19' scamp. Know where I can get instructions? Do I have to remove outside vents?? Help!! I can't seem to get it out to replace the circuit board.
You do not have to remove the outside vents.
Remove the grill, then the screws on the flange face.
The furnace itself is now ready to slide out like a drawer except for the wiring and gas line. The outside vent tubes simply slide over the furnace tubes.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #3

Texas
furnace scamp

That looks like mine but mine has bolts through the bottom, I removed the front 2 but I cant get to the back ones.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsublett View Post
That looks like mine but mine has bolts through the bottom, I removed the front 2 but I cant get to the back ones.
Did you see two at the top?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #5

Texas
None through top
Old 12-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
On my Scamp, there were no screws holding the back of the furnace.

How old is your furnace? It could be you have all of the screws out and the intake and exhaust tubes are frozen together by dirt and rust.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #7

Texas
Scamp Furnace removal

Problem : was not sure that the furnace slid out of the case by only removing the 2 #6 screws; seems un-realistic that it was only contained with these 2 small screws when the case is bolted in like fort Knox. I attempted to pull it however after removing the 2 screws (Have had enough experience observing boat and RV engineering to expect anything though) After not being able to pull the unit out I removed the exhaust and intake vents (weren't stuck) Finally removed the whole case; had to cut 1 bolt with bolt cutters, remove the cabinet drawer and range top, drill off 2 stainless steel screw heads holding a cradle for flex duct. When I finally got the unit out, I discovered that the cradle holding the flex duct had been mounted with 2- 1 inch self-drilling screws which blocked the unit from being slid out of the case. Most of the day for a 5 minute job
Old 12-12-2018, 09:07 PM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Getting the furnace out is one consideration. Making sure you don't have gas leaks is another.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:52 AM   #9

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
I actually paid my furnace guy to do this. Glad I did. If you live near me Bloomington heating and airconditioning. Bloomington Heating & Cooling, Air Conditioner & Furnace Repair & Service | Bloomington, IN 47401 They do a great job.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Getting the furnace out is one consideration. Making sure you don't have gas leaks is another.
The time for that is after the circuit board is replaced and the furnace reinstalled. A pressure drop test is standard protocol whenever the system has been opened. While it's open the propane tank(s) are closed or disconnected.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:42 AM   #11

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
By the way the only thing wrong with mine once they got it out was that it needed cleaned. The spark inside the furnace had gotten enough dirt on it to be shorted out. Have used it a bunch since then with no problems.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, scamp