How to install electric brake on a 2002-13' ft. Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #1

Name: KoyD
Trailer: SCAMP 13
North Carolina
How to install electric brake on a 2002-13' ft. Scamp

Hello all Scamp owner, I recently had a Thread about having electric brake on a 13' scamp ? I had alots of respond back from this Web site. Most of the advice was "yes " have electric brake on the scamp, for safety reason. I recently look under the scamp wheel axles and look in the back. I have took a picture of the wheel, it have a brake flange in the back. It have four hole for the bolt to put the electric brake. The question is "how do I take the one that is on the scamp and put the electric brake on?" I try to look up youtube to see anyone have try to show how to do it but no luck.I have look on "etrailer" web site to order the electric brake, the hub and drum, and all the wire set.Now all I need is how to take the wheel and all the stuff off. Any advice on how to get started will be great. Thank you all. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0229.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	127996
NCBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:41 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Koy, you have to remove the wheels, then hubs/bearings by removing the large nut on the spindle. The easiest way to add the brakes is to purchase the entire backing plate/hub/brake assembly and just bolt up using the 4 mounting bolts, grease and torque the bearings. You’ll then have to run brake wires from the trailer plug to the brakes, and you’ll have to hook up a brake controller with wires to the trailer plug. After all is assembled, you’ll have to adjust the brakes. As a heads up, my Scamp had the “leading arm” configuration, so the Left side and Right side brake assemblys have to be switched to their opposite sides in order to operate properly (I got that tidbit from Scamp Parts department when I ordered them). You could make it really easy on yourself and hire it done.
Best of luck.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:37 PM   #3

Name: Rae
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBOY View Post
Hello all Scamp owner, I recently had a Thread about having electric brake on a 13' scamp ? I had alots of respond back from this Web site. Most of the advice was "yes " have electric brake on the scamp, for safety reason. I recently look under the scamp wheel axles and look in the back. I have took a picture of the wheel, it have a brake flange in the back. It have four hole for the bolt to put the electric brake. The question is "how do I take the one that is on the scamp and put the electric brake on?" I try to look up youtube to see anyone have try to show how to do it but no luck.I have look on "etrailer" web site to order the electric brake, the hub and drum, and all the wire set.Now all I need is how to take the wheel and all the stuff off. Any advice on how to get started will be great. Thank you all. Attachment 127996
I am going to Uhaul to ask them to do mine... I don't think it's very expensive.
Scampdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:48 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How to install electric brake on a 2002-13' ft. Scamp

U-Haul can vary widely in cost and competence. If you haven’t dealt with a particular franchise before, I’d advise caution. Alternatives include utility trailer dealers, suspension shops, and- if you’re just adding brakes- a general auto mechanic.

Unless you have a solid recommendation from a trusted source, I’d shop around and get a couple of bids.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:54 AM   #5

Name: KoyD
Trailer: SCAMP 13
North Carolina
Thank you everyone for the advice and I call around to see which is the best option.
NCBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:42 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I know you said you've been to etrailer.com, but did you see this link. It's a REALLY good start and lets you see what has to be there and the parts to accompany it.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-Adding-...um-Brakes.aspx
IF you're not confident, I would go to a local TRAILER business that sells/repairs trailers- not necessarily RV's. I spoke with ours one time about tires and while they didnt make specific recommendations, he DID tell me which tire manufacturer to avoid!

Good luck and let us know how you get it accomplished and maybe - since you have a "before" pic- you can furnish us some before/after pics. Good stuff! Good choice on adding brakes- another avenue of STOPPING surety when you will need it most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBOY View Post
Thank you everyone for the advice and I call around to see which is the best option.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp