Rent Tow Vehicle for 13’ Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2019, 11:18 PM   #1

Name: Darilyn
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Rent Tow Vehicle for 13’ Scamp?

I have a 2010 13’ Scamp but currently no tow vehicle... Is it possible to rent a tow vehicle for the occasional weekend that would be compatible with the 7 blade wiring? Maybe a pickup truck from uhaul or enterprise? FYI - I’m in Philly suburbs...
I would be SO grateful for any advice...
Thanks in advance -
D
Lady Darilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:40 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I know of a couple folks that rented uhaul p/u's to tow utility/car trailers but have no idea if they have a 7 pin setup on them. Probably best to give the local rental companies a call for the particulars of what you need.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:58 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I thought, from reading the forum, that U-Haul uses surge brakes on their trailers so they don't have to deal with brake controllers etc, so the wiring would be 4-pin. No need to charge a cargo trailer battery either.
etrailer.com sells adapters.
https://www.etrailer.com/search/4+Pin+To+7+Pin+Adapter
Old 02-26-2019, 01:53 AM   #4

Name: Darilyn
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I thought, from reading the forum, that U-Haul uses surge brakes on their trailers so they don't have to deal with brake controllers etc, so the wiring would be 4-pin. No need to charge a cargo trailer battery either.
etrailer.com sells adapters.
https://www.etrailer.com/search/4+Pin+To+7+Pin+Adapter

Thank you!
Lady Darilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:01 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Im sure it is.. the Toyota Tacoma I rented a few months ago had both 7 and 4 pin trailer connections. However it had no brake controller.

Brakes
Does your Scamp 13 have brakes? If not, you don't need a TV with a brake controller. If it does have brakes then I would recommend using them but you might get away for a while without using them, esp if the TV was a big bad truck. Of course you won't be doing any mods and adding a after-market brake controller to a rental vehicle so you would need to shop for one with an built-in, integrated (OEM) brake controller. (I don't think that a wireless brake controller will work but it depends on what is actually connected on the 7-way in a TV without a brake controller).

Rental Agreement
The other question that comes to mind is does the rental agreement allow you to tow a trailer. Best to check to avoid expensive surprises.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:10 AM   #6

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
If you are planning to do this long term, you should consider the Autowbrake system. Everything mounts in the trailer so that any tow vehicle can use the trailer brakes. I'm installing it on my boler when the weather gets warmer since hacking the wiring on my TV will void my warranty. It also means I can tow with any vehicle and still have brakes. It is more expensive than a standard or other wireless brake controllers.

https://getautowbrake.com/
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:28 AM   #7

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
If you are planning to do this long term, you should consider the Autowbrake system. Everything mounts in the trailer so that any tow vehicle can use the trailer brakes. I'm installing it on my boler when the weather gets warmer since hacking the wiring on my TV will void my warranty. It also means I can tow with any vehicle and still have brakes. It is more expensive than a standard or other wireless brake controllers.

https://getautowbrake.com/
But you still need the brake power wire from the TV to the 7 pin. Thats that part I was referring to. If brake power is not connected then it wont work. You will need a 12 volt wire from the tow vehicle if you only have a 4 way flat (so you can't tow with brakes if the TV only has a four way).

And personally, I would put more faith in the Tekonsha wireless brake controller.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:28 AM   #8

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
So you can make your own 4 to 7-pin adapter with a marine bullet connector for TV power. You then get a length of 10 gauge wire, put in a 30 amp inline fuse, attach one end to the battery and connect the other end to the adapter using the marine bullet connector. The dirty part would be temporarily attaching the wire to the underside of the TV with something like zip ties. When you need to take the rental back, cut the zip ties and detach the wire from the battery.

I read the reviews on the Tekonsha wireless brake controller, a lot of complaints about pairing issues due to newer car electronics. Besides the Autowbrake is triggered by the same brake circuit as the Tekonsha. In addition, the Autowbrake can get power from the house battery so if, for some reason, you lose power from the TV you don't lose your brakes.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:44 AM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
So you can make your own 4 to 7-pin adapter with a marine bullet connector for TV power. You then get a length of 10 gauge wire, put in a 30 amp inline fuse, attach one end to the battery and connect the other end to the adapter using the marine bullet connector. The dirty part would be temporarily attaching the wire to the underside of the TV with something like zip ties. When you need to take the rental back, cut the zip ties and detach the wire from the battery.
Yes you can always jury-rig something, but who wants to do that on a weekend rental for only a few days-long trip? (For anyone who does, fuse as close to the battery as possible).

Quote:
...in addition, the Autowbrake can get power from the house battery so if, for some reason, you lose power from the TV you don't lose your brakes.
You could. I think its safe to say that its not recommended or reliable.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:44 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Rent Tow Vehicle for 13’ Scamp?

Post deleted.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Do some favors for a friend with a TV.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #12

Name: Randy
Trailer: Scamp 13
Colorado
Read the fine print?

All good ideas about renting a tow vehicle. However, the last time I tried that in order to tow a boat it was a no go. Rental companies will not (legally) allow you to rent a small car or pickup and tow something with it. Larger trucks for moving, yes.
Has anyone on this forum rented a pickup/car and towed legally recently?
Randy701 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp