Rivet size for Boler Closet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2019, 09:50 PM   #1

Name: George
Trailer: Boler
Quebec
Rivet size for Boler Closet

I need to replace a few rivets, for now, I will use rivets, not bolts.

With that being said, I need to replace a few rivets that holds the closet to the wall.

From what I've read around here, the rivet should be 3/16, can anyone tell me the length?

Thanks.
George Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Longer the better probably at least 1/2 inch. 2 panels plus backing washer will get you into the area of 3/8s of an inch. You'll also want a bit of length for assembly. Aluminum rivets are easy to cut off if there is too much shaft left after installation just leave the flare that is produced by the head of the nail.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:48 PM   #3

Name: George
Trailer: Boler
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Longer the better probably at least 1/2 inch. 2 panels plus backing washer will get you into the area of 3/8s of an inch. You'll also want a bit of length for assembly. Aluminum rivets are easy to cut off if there is too much shaft left after installation just leave the flare that is produced by the head of the nail.
Fred

Got it, thanks.
George Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:43 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
you can make a rivet length gauge from a paper clip.

Straighten most of it out but leave a 3/8" or so long, 90 degree area at one end.

Insert the bent end through the hole then pull back so it is touching the inside surface. Use a Sharpie pen to make a mark on the wire to indicate the outside surface. Now remove the paper clip and measure the distance between the bent end and the mark. That is your "grip length". You buy rivets by their "grip length" and diameter. There might be a minimum and maximum grip length stated so you want to purchase a rivet that is within that range of grip length.

If you want to know the diameter remove the rivet you need to replace and use drill bits as your diameter gauge. Most likely it is a 3/16" rivet. Unless the hole got quite a bit oversized from wear in which case you would put in the next larger diameter of rivet and make the hole match that next up size of rivet. A rivet that is a sloppy fit within the diameter of a hole won't get a proper grip when it compresses.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler