Opening back window upgrade? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #1

Name: Evan & Sue
Trailer: 1986 13' Scamp
Iowa
Opening back window upgrade?

1986 Scamp 13 foot standard- Summer camping gets hot - Is there a method to replace the solid back window with an window that opens to let the air circulate?
BuildStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The sliding rear window was part of a mold change.
The shape of the trailer was changed and a boss was added in order to accommodate the glass slider.
Because of that it would not be a straight forward job.
It may be possible to cut the plexiglass in the center and install a window or a vent which could open independently.
Over all it would be a bit of a challenge and not recommended.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:38 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
An opening rear window can be the route of road dust, coating the interior of the trailer.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:57 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
An opening rear window can be the route of road dust, coating the interior of the trailer.
So true.. much better to have all sealed windows.. and if they are not, use caulk to make them air tight. And dont forget to seal the door also. A permanent seal will do the best job of keeping out the dirt. Then you will have a camper that stays clean inside.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Its one thing I really like about my 1977 Trillium. Six windows that open, including front and rear. And all windows are full jalousie style, so when they are open, they are really open! Not like the less than 50% open I get out of the sliders on my Escape, and of course, neither the front nor the rear windows open.

Now I would love to find one of the optional opening door windows, mine is fixed (and standard was no window in the door, so I guess I should be happy I have a window there).

Windows that open seemed to have peaked in the 1970s, and even then, most brands had fixed windows front and rear.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:40 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
The opening rear window, along with the side windows, door and roof vent, provide wonderful ventilation and fresh air in most of my Scamp. The sliding rear window actually seals against dirt better than the side Jalousie style windows, but they all work well. The front area however is a different story. In the front there is no air movement except near the door, and then of course only when it is open. I have thought much about adding a window or vent and so far decided it is not worth the time, effort and cost (not to mention the dirt). I think the best option (both for me and the OP) would be another (small) roof vent to bring air from other open windows.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:02 PM   #7

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
The opening rear window, along with the side windows, door and roof vent, provide wonderful ventilation and fresh air in most of my Scamp. The sliding rear window actually seals against dirt better than the side Jalousie style windows, but they all work well. The front area however is a different story. In the front there is no air movement except near the door, and then of course only when it is open. I have thought much about adding a window or vent and so far decided it is not worth the time, effort and cost (not to mention the dirt). I think the best option (both for me and the OP) would be another (small) roof vent to bring air from other open windows.
Sliding rear window comes standard in a Casita. At least in 2007 and most I've seen. The one problem is the lock comes down easily and the window will vibrate open. I think Casita should have turned the lock the other way so it would not vibrate down and unlock. We fixed the opening problem by putting a stick in the window track and have not had it open since. We don't use the rear slider because the side windows open also. So if you get a slider window pay close attention to the lock and which direction it locks.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:12 AM   #8

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
gordon2: LOL, very funny!

I guess the rear window "sucks" more than the others due to the force of a draft effect. With our rock shield, our front window is already double-covered.

I had wanted a rear window that opened, too, but after Glenn Baglo's and Floyd's posts I no longer want one. Even though our Amerigo isn't the trailer this thread is about, it would likely be more trouble & cost than it'd be worth.

(After this thread, what I want now is another layer of plexiglass on the inside of Peanut over the rear window, edges larger than the window by several inches, so I can lean aganst the window as a back for the rear bed / daybed during the day. Might four screws hold it on? I fear leaning against the window now, for fear I'll loosen the seal or even pop it out.

BEST
"K"

Kai in Seattle

Kathleen in Renton
Old 06-16-2019, 07:17 AM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
BuildStat,
Hi, welcome to FGRV. Do you have a roof vent with a fan in it? We use a little 12V fan on the counter and turn on our Fan Tastic Vent fan in the ceiling/roof to get air flow going, and we have one of those "as seen on TV" magic mesh screen doors. $8 or so on ebay, come in several colors, you can cut them to fit if you know how to sew, or get a seamstress to help you.

Our magic mesh screen door is now removable, since that was how I fitted it, so we can put it up when it's hot and fold it neatly into a cupboard when we don't want to use it. Others have real screen doors, even better. Velcro is versatile, and so are these screen doors. The magnet closures actually work quite well. Don't try to mess with the magnets.

Good luck to you figuring out your best solution...you can get ice and put a pan of it in front of the little counter fan for a nice "swamp cooler." Water works, too. The blowing air wafts the evaporated moisture onto you, which has a cooling effect in the breeze. We do that in the trailer and at home...though it doesn't work where the air is already muggy. Hot and dry areas are best for swamp coolers.

As we often say here, YMMV: Your mileage (best solutions) may vary (from what other people figure out and like).

BEST
"K"
Old 06-16-2019, 07:29 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Opening back window upgrade?

I think I’ve seen mid-80’s Scamps with the mold change for a slider, but they still had a fixed plexiglass window. I concluded it was an option in the early years. Could be wrong.

How about a picture of the rear window from the outside? That will reveal whether it was built before or after the mold change.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp