Axle replacement questions for '76? Scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #1

Name: Jordan
Trailer: Scamp 13ft.
Ohio
Axle replacement questions for '76? Scamp 13

Hi! I'm new to the forum and hoping to get some help with axle questions. A little old 13ft Scamp finally found me and I am so excited that it followed me home! It is in good shape for being 40'ish years old, but it still needs some loving care. Major care is replacing the original axle. I have been doing lots of homework & reading on the forums, but not getting all the answers I need to make a decision on how I want to approach replacing it. Being a mid - late 70's Scamp, the axle is the old leading arm set up. It is pretty much shot and the trailer is riding very low. I will be adding brakes with the new axle.

I should also add that this wee Scamp will be my full-time home, mostly traveling on the road and off-road to boondocks, so would like a higher clearance - though not a Monster Scamp!:

My questions:

1. I have read /had it suggested that I change the axle to a trailing arm set-up. I understand the benefits of this switch, but can't figure out how to make it work and how to choose an arm angle for it, since the axle would have to be dropped like 8+ inches below the frame to clear the dropped floor and it's supports. When I called Scamp to find out how they did that, they said they did NOT replace axles on the older trailers with trailing arms, only did them as leading arm as originally set-up. How are the newer Scamps' frames different underneath that allows them to have trailing arms? Anyone have an older Scamp that they were able to change to a trailing arm that could provide me with more information on how they worked that out? (I saw that someone on this forum did do this, but didn't see details as to how it was done).

2. Looking at axle weight ranges, the 1000 - 2200 lbs seems to be the obvious choice for a 13' Scamp. But I have read / heard that some people go up to the 3500 lbs one. Has anyone noticed a negative difference with this axle? It seems overkill. But I'm curious what people's reasoning is for choosing that upgrade.

3. I've also been finding that it may be wise to change from 13" wheels to 14" wheels since 14" tires are more readily available with more choices. Has anyone gone this route? What are your thoughts?

4. My Scamp is in mid Ohio (an hour+ north of Columbus) and I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for places to do the axle work in that area. I'd like to avoid Columbus proper (or large city areas) or anything much more than an hour away - tires are not great and makes me nervous to tow on them, and since I will be replacing the wheels with the new axle to a 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern, I'd prefer not to have to buy tires for both old and new wheels if I can help it (added expense I can't really afford, but may have to to get the axle done right).

5. I have been hearing that there is a NEW AXLE IN TOWN, the Lippert. Opinions on this brand over Dexter? From the trailer places I've looked into & Scamp, they have said they are comparable in quality, just that Lippert is easier to work with than Dexter has become.

I realize keeping the axle as a leading arm (but bolted on) and going with the 22.5 down angle would be the easiest way to go and raise the trailer height up to a better clearance height. But if I can modernize it to the trailing arm without a lot of extra expense and hassle, it sounds like that might be a wise choice. I would greatly appreciate any input on these questions.
Jordan O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp