Scamp13 brake adjustment - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Scamp13 brake adjustment

Could anyone tell me which movement of the brake tool on the star wheel will move the shoes outwards to the drum. Moving the tool upwards or moving the tool in a downward movement. Thanks,
Jack
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:40 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Pulling down

Pulling down on the tool to push the star wheel up tightens the brake shoes.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #3

Massachusetts
Thanks Kenneth.

Yes I found that out as well. They are easy to adjust as long as you can get under there to see what your doing. My 4 ton bottle jack on the frame just before the tire work out fine and allowed me to get behind the back side of the tire to make adjustments.
Thanks again,

Jack
Old 09-23-2019, 06:10 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
If you can slide under the camper without using a jack and the bottle jack just frees up the wheel to spin that’s good. If the jack is being used to lift the trailer for clearance, jackstands must be used. I’m sure you know that I just think about inexperienced folks attempting to adjust their own brakes. Safety first.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:19 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
...If the jack is being used to lift the trailer for clearance, jackstands must be used. ...
YES! This raised my red flag also.. important point for anyone who does not know this fact.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:50 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
As part of servicing the brakes I often remove the adjuster and lubricate the threads. The direction it is reinstalled determines the direction for tightening.

I've found the easiest way to adjust the brakes is to remove the wheel. Instead of being on your back under the trailer in the dark, you lean over the hub and can easily see where the tool goes. I made a tool out of some scrap bar stock or you can buy a brake spoon at any parts store. In my opinion easier than using a screw driver.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:45 AM   #7

Massachusetts
Yes Dave & Gordon,

I am old enough to know that you never get under any vehicle if you remove a tire without first putting the correct type of jack stands under the vehicle to prevent it falling on you.

I just lifted the Scamp enough to spin the tire and make my adjustments, nothing else. And I would never put myself in a situation to cause bodily harm to myself while working on any of my vehicles.

In reference to correct jack stands, if your old enough to remember when there was a jack stand that was a pipe that was cut and spread to make feet to stand that would collapse and allow the vehicle to fall and God forbid would most likely kill anyone under the vehicle. Hopefully no one has them gathering dust in their garage,if so get rid of them.
Jack
Old 09-24-2019, 09:14 AM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
I am old enough to know that you never get under any vehicle if you remove a tire without first putting the correct type of jack stands under the vehicle to prevent it falling on you. ..
But alas, wisdom does not always come with age

So glad you are responsible, I can sleep better now
But you can see how your original statement which only mentioned the inadequate bottle jack caused concern:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
... My 4 ton bottle jack on the frame just before the tire work out fine and allowed me to get behind the back side of the tire to make adjustments.
BTW, The star-wheel should only go in one direction (move the shoes outward) unless the adjuster lever is pushed away from the star-wheel. The bigger challenge for me is to get the adjuster lever to release the star-wheel when I need to move the shoes in (loose). It takes two tools and some coordination. Hopefully I wont have to mess with it again however since I got self-adjusting 10 inch brakes on the Scamp. As far as I know, there are not any self-adjusters for 7 inch brakes
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #9

Massachusetts
Sorry Gordon, did not mean to cause confusion.

My father-in-law was a auto mechanic with his own business. I would stop in at his business in the evening when I was dating his daughter, late 50's. He taught me a lot of what I know about auto's. I'd clear every tool thru him before I purchased it. I am sure he is watching my every move to make sure he taught me right. Sure do miss him.
Jack
Old 09-24-2019, 04:13 PM   #10

Massachusetts
Right on Floyd.

Jack

Tags
scamp