Replacing Bad Subfloor and Removing Flush Toilet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-04-2019, 12:18 PM   #1

Name: Brett
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 19'
Virginia
Replacing Bad Subfloor and Removing Flush Toilet

One of the big punch list items on my new (to me) 19' Scamp is to fix the rotted flooring that can be seen from below the bathroom. While I'm in the process, I want to go ahead and remove the flush toilet and black water tank...it just seems like a composting toilet would be much easier for the type of off-grid camping that I want to do. I also think that the toilet or blackwater dump valve are the cause of the water damage, since I haven't found any other leaks (this can't be confirmed since I have never run water through it...I bought it winterized).

Has anyone done this before? I read a post by DrewSK (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...wn-66606.html#) that went into removing the toilet, but I'm not sure if I would be able to replace the subfloor from above once I've removed that toilet and shower pan. Is this hard? Also, how did you patch the vent hole that's left open on the wall after removing the toilet? I know that I'll need to use one of the holes to install the Nature's Head vent, but that will still leave one open hole.

I'm honestly looking for any help on this, especially how to get started. I'm new to this, but I consider myself decently handy and can learn. Thanks!
brettrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:22 PM   #2

Virginia
I'm attaching pics to show you what it looks like underneath the bathroom of the Scamp. That pipe is what I believe to be the black water tank valve or the shower drain.
Attached Thumbnails
20190925_134312.jpg   20190925_134308.jpg  

Old 10-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #3

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I had a side bath on my 16' Scamp and the very same setup.
The floor was completely rotten.
Personally I think the side bath is a bad setup.
I built a new bath in the center front, a spot that would not work for you.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:38 AM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Brett: we feel for you! Some pics of the rotted-out bathroom area in our 1973 Amerigo as of 2015. Paul patched it completely with fiberglass and we've been using a portable system since. It takes a bit more doing at the time of use, but is just so easy otherwise. No leaks. Spills possible, but we're careful.

I saw 2000 for your trailer's birthdate, and was thinking, "Gosh, that's a brand-new trailer!" And then realized it's 19 years old. How time flies when you're having fun.

Our Peanut is as old as our marriage--began back when pterodactyls darkened the skies.

Best to you! You'll be so proud of your work when you get it all cleaned up and redone! Enjoy this process, even if sometimes it seems like the last thing you wanted to be doing.

And then happy trails to you and yours as you adventure this fantastic world.

BEST
"K"
Attached Thumbnails
1A 8 Pergo covered an original source of rot, old toilet hole.jpg   1A 9 More floor rot; water tank had cracked long ago.jpg  

1A 10 By the fresh water inlet.jpg  
Old 10-06-2019, 02:53 PM   #5

Virginia
Yes, it's definitely a bit daunting of a process, but I know it will be worthwhile. Glad to hear that someone else has done the same thing and is happy they did so. Thank you for the response...happy trails!
Old 10-07-2019, 03:49 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I use my camper all summer and here in the North East, if you don't have a big enough garage, this type of work can not be done to easily in the winters. I know I need to stiffen up my bathroom floor under my Casita as it's a bit weak, and I have the skill and knowlage how to do it, but finding the time to do it is the big problem. best of luck to you and your project.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:22 AM   #7

Registry
I hear you about finding time to work. Paul put in 8-10 hours a day, seven days a week, for nine months while redoing Peanut. Luckily, he had retired the year before and hadn't committed to anything much yet.

As for not having a place to work, while fiberglass needs at least 40 degrees F to cure (and believe me, warmer is better!), there are so many other things that can be done. Our trailer has inner luan ply paneling, each piece of which has to be custom-cut. We had to redo all the windows, the entire outside, the entire floor (we chose marine ply from a boatyard; it's beautiful stuff) wiring, galley, interior structural walls, rebuild the storage areas under the back seating area, beds, mattresses, redo the rock shield, and remove it from the frame, the frame checked out, patched, welded, painted...Paul had plenty to do. We kept a heater going in the trailer and Paul dressed for the job.

He used a giant tarp we'd had for a while and never used--too big. we got it on sale one time and tucked it away. Paul dug it out and made a tent using some padding and lumber across the top of Peanut for holding it up. We tethered it to some metal patio gliders we had to hold it down all around, also to the house, the fence, and to sandbags.

Eventually one windy spring day, we heard a huge POP and found the wind had ripped the tarp loose; Paul refolded the edge, put in a new grommet, reattached it to a tree, and forged on. Kept the rain off.

A few more pics: note the color of Peanut when we got it. Root Beer Brown with gold flecks--kind of pretty, shiny, but full of fiberglass holes and cracks and in sunlight, HOT.

Happy Trails,
BESt
""K"
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 045.jpg   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 027.JPG  

Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 043.jpg  
Old 10-07-2019, 06:25 AM   #8

Registry
Now that I think about it, it's no wonder we settled on "Peanut" for our trailer's name. One shell with two NUTS in it.

Thanks for inspiring this walk down memory lane.
We really did (have to) make Peanut "our own."

Happy Trails to you!

BEST
"K"
Attached Thumbnails
PEANUT possible logo for amerigo trailer.jpg  
Old 10-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Kai, Wow, those pics do bring back some memories! I recall following Paul's & your journey with your amerigo.....one filled with surprises!

it doesn't hurt as much now does it?
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #10

Registry
Hi, Steve V!

You're right, once finished and camped in the pain faded fast. Boy, we must've been nuts, though! We'd never take on that much again, and we'd know better what we were looking at to start with. (Maybe!)

You were of such great help to us!

We're satisfied with Peanut; sure, we made mistakes and would do it a little differently if we were starting over, but for what it all was and now is, it came out fine.

Big thanks to you and all on FGRV who helped us get through it.

Kathleen

Tags
composting toilet, scamp, toilet, vin, water, water damage