Misguided tiny house movement effort - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2017, 08:42 PM   #41

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
Nope it wouldn't work in your area. My question is where in the world do they sell brand new houses for $80,000 or even $150,000? How can they build a house for $80,000 i including the land and a tiny house for $80,000 too? Seems to me that in an area like that a tiny house would cost $12,000.
Marky , my son and I last Saturday looked at a 15 acre parcel with a small 2 bedroom house on the property and a small pole barn both built 2 years ago .
The asking price was $71,000.
Since we were only looking for hunting land we made a bid on a 21 acre wooded parcel with a creek . Asking price was $25,000

LOCATION , LOCATION , LOCATION
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:21 PM   #42

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
There are plenty of inexpensive places to live. The problem is often that the jobs are somewhere else. Location, indeed!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:29 PM   #43

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
There are plenty of inexpensive places to live. The problem is often that the jobs are somewhere else. Location, indeed!
Yep, thats why I lived somewhere else when I was working. There are very few to no good jobs here.

People that can telecommute can choose where to live and pick a place more affordable. My wife was a sales manager with a territory across the SE USA, could live anywhere within that area. Plenty of cheaper/affordable areas in the SE. Unfortunately, my job was not so flexible.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:37 PM   #44

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
Nope it wouldn't work in your area. My question is where in the world do they sell brand new houses for $80,000 or even $150,000 with a half acre downtown? How can they build a house for $80,000 including the land and a tiny house for $80,000? Seems to me that in an area like that a tiny house would cost $12,000. These builders need to come to downtown Austin, TX and build them here. They would be like the fiberglass camper industry with a two year+ waiting period!
The key is buying used in my area. Few buy new homes, as new construction costs are a lot higher. Materials are pretty much the same across the country, labor is lower of course. Plenty of inventory of used housing, so thats what people buy. Local lumber yard is trying to sell new tiny houses for $80K with no land. Its not working.....

Land in Austin is going to cost a lot more, as is labor. Very few builders in this area, and they tend to cater to wealthy people from FL that want a mountain retreat. They are at a totally different price point.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #45

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
While so many companies are pushing the idea of a tiny but expen$ive houses, many cities are pushing back on allowing people to park in back yards, side yards, driveways, or anywhere. Many cities or Homeowners groups do not even allow parking of RVs in yards or driveways . . .even if NOT occupied. In investigating these tiny houses, I seldom see any mention of the difficulty of parking, water, power, SEWER. etc. It's like they want you to Buy, Buy, Buy . . . . THEN worry about how and where ( or if ) you can park it. ! ! Bye, bye, bye, David in Fresno and Sonora, CA

You must be talking about California. Not all places are infested in HOAs.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:12 PM   #46

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I don't know very many cities that allow a legal Tiny House on wheels for living on someone's private lot. Seattle certainly does not. Even a lot of RV parks won't allow them unless they are built by a company which holds RVIA certification.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:19 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Also need to remind folks that back in 1982 when we bought our house, the interest rate was 21%. I don't know how I managed to buy a lawn mower. My parents didn't cough up for the down payment either.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:41 AM   #48

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Also need to remind folks that back in 1982 when we bought our house, the interest rate was 21%. I don't know how I managed to buy a lawn mower. My parents didn't cough up for the down payment either.
Thanks Glenn for the reminder . When we bought our home in 1973 .Interest rates were 14 to 16% and we had to pay at least 10% down plus an upfront insurance fee in case we defaulted on the loan. We had one child and another on the way and I was the sole wage earner making $3.25 / hr . We also came up with the down payment on our own , not one dime from our parents.
My father's answer to me was " If you want a house then work two jobs , it's not my problem".

What my father taught me is probably the main reason that we have saved for retirement , have no debt , have no credit cards.
and own our home!
Old 08-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #49

Registry
1983 maybe but not 1973. We bought our first house in early 1979 when interest rates were 10% (actual 9.5 plus 0.5 PMI). Bought FHA with only 3% down as I was just six months out of college.

1973 mortgage rates averaged ~8%.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #50

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Ummm... It isn't 1973 any more. Health insurance for a family of four costs $2000+/month in my area. One year of university may cost more than that house you bought in 1973. Defined benefit pension plans have largely gone away. Career job security has been replaced by contract work. Social Security and Medicare are headed for insolvency.

Young families are facing a very different financial reality than 1973. It's not surprising some are looking for alternative ways to cut the cost of housing. Many might be willing to live in an 850 sf site-built home, but who's building 850 sf homes today? Buy used instead? For the most part, smaller houses are either in declining, drug-infested neighborhoods or in gentrified, tear-it-down-and-build-a-mansion neighborhoods.

We have our parents to thank for their hard work, financial sacrifice, and wise counsel. But it's our children we have to thank for our Social Security and Medicare.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #51

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
I don't know very many cities that allow a legal Tiny House on wheels for living on someone's private lot. Seattle certainly does not. Even a lot of RV parks won't allow them unless they are built by a company which holds RVIA certification.
Portland Does. It's being considered one the solutions to the homeless crisis.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #52

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Education is critical to survival in the modern world. But getting educated is becoming tricky too. Kids really need to stay single and stay at home a while longer and they need to get excellent grades in order to get scholarships.

My daughter is still paying student loans that were incurred before she was married or had any children. Her daughter is now driving and working. And the loans are still being paid. There is something wrong with that scenario, where people work the majority of their careers to pay off student loans.

Homes in the Bay area are outrageously expensive. 60 year old homes on tiny lots are going for $900,000 to 1.5 million. Over $2 million is some areas. Apartments cost about $5,000-6000 per month. Google and Apple give their employees a rent allowance of about $2,000./ month to help with the prices. This squeezes everyone else out.

It costs about $1,500./ month to park a trailer somewhere you can live in it, and that is after you wait in line and take a poor neighborhood.

Others drive over 100 miles each way, every day to commute from a home they can barely afford in outlying towns.

And property values continue to climb.

Fortunately, I don't want to be there anymore and moved on. I still go back part time, but not for much longer.

The only people who really have it made are the ones who bought a home 20 years ago, work for Apple or have inherited a home from their parents.

As far as Social Security going bankrupt, no way, that is just an anti-government rant. But as far as it securing retirement for the high cost of living in the Bay Area, no way again.

We've always been a country of free market competition and for-profit everything, but things are getting out of balance with the new realities of companies based on paper values and speculation. It doesn't bother me that people have to work hard and be creative to make their way, but things are not the same now as they were in the '50s.

Tiny homes for young singles or couples sound very good. But the realities of property values, building codes and general resistance to anything that might affect others property values, will limit the likelihood of large neighborhoods of these. Apartments are a more practical and doable alternative. Having one or two tiny homes, in a lot of backyards, sounds like a good idea, but the hookups and codes will be the main problem.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:58 AM   #53

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
In the Trustees own words

Just look at Venezuela.

Read the first sentence, paragraph 2.
https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/TRSUM/index.html
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #54

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Just look at Venezuela.

Read the first sentence, paragraph 2.
https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/TRSUM/index.html
First, Venezuela is not the US and not a valid data point for gloom and doom arguments about the US. Paranoia about SS is overblown. Even the link you wanted us to read states: "under currently scheduled benefits and financing." Did it say anything about being beyond repair and doomed?

All they have to do is do what they already know to do to fix the long term problem. We, as voters are obligated to elect the right people to actually do their jobs as we see fit.

The arguments of "the sky is falling" concerning SS is rooted in fear and a political agenda. If the public wants it to eventually fail, it will, if the public demands honesty and a stable system, we'll have that instead.

BTW, I was subjected to the same "absolute failure soon" rhetoric 40 years ago by an old relative that was always making absolute pronouncements about all kinds of things he didn't really understand. Statements, again, based on fear and distrust. One way or another, we are not going to just cut off millions of seniors and dump them in the streets of America to die of starvation. To argue otherwise is silly, or worse. Get serious.

If you think that's the agenda of the current set of elected officials, it's your duty to re-consider who you are voting for and stand up to be counted.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #55

NW Wisconsin
Why are we debating Venezuela in a thread about tiny houses or for that matter on a FG trailer forum ?
Old 08-17-2017, 12:22 PM   #56

Smith Valley, Nevada
We're not. And it's a stretch to debate SS, but tiny houses are a way to make ands meet in an expensive world. SS is part of how people make ends meet. Some think it's going away. Which would make it harder to survive and makes the need for tiny houses even greater.

There is additional data about the cost of living in different areas.

There, the circle is complete. Awkward? Yes.

Venezuela has nothing in the world to do with it.

BTW, my tiny house is molded fiberglass. In fact, I have two of them!
Old 08-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #57

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
There's also the people who are minimalists, they live in these tiny houses, students going to college use reclaimed materials to build it and help cut living costs. A tiny house can be built for under $10,000. There's also the green movement, people that build them from reclaimed materials and reduce their carbon footprint. It takes a lot less energy to heat and cool a small space than a 3500 square foot house.
It's not for everyone and tiny houses are not allowed everywhere. What we're looking at here is not the real movement where homeless people can build and have a nice place to live. There's expensive tiny houses with granite counter tops and gold faucets with builders trying to take advantage. When you put $80,000 for a tiny home in an area where homes are $800,000 is not a bad deal.
RVIA is a joke! Most FGRVs manufacturers don't have the RVIA certificate. It's not a building standard but just an organization. I personally have never been asked for RVIA certification on my Casita. Casita's are not RVIA certified. Most RV parks that ask for it are very expensive. That's where those million dollar motor homes stay.
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:54 PM   #58

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
What my father taught me is probably the main reason that we have saved for retirement , have no debt , have no credit cards.
and own our home!
Yep, no free lunch. Your Dad was like my Dad, old school.

It constantly amazes me when young folks today complain that they can't afford a house, but throw their money away on rent that is often higher than a mortgage payment would be - and while mortgage rates here are around 4 percent.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #59

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Yep, no free lunch. Your Dad was like my Dad, old school.

It constantly amazes me when young folks today complain that they can't afford a house, but throw their money away on rent that is often higher than a mortgage payment would be - and while mortgage rates here are around 4 percent.
The problem, is you have to live somewhere and trying to pay for a rental and save at the same time for a down payment is out of reach. Yes, I know some budgets are out of whack and fewer dinners out and fewer Starbuck purchases would help. But my own daughter is in the trap and is struggling. Living in one of the highest residential markets in the nation doesn't help either.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #60

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Living in one of the highest residential markets in the nation doesn't help either.
True enough Donna, the place where you live has alot to do with it. But around here, a decent starter home can be had in the 125K-150K range.

Tags
parkliner