Locating a battery monitor in 2014 Parkliner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ47 View Post
Don't know what a torx is but will look it up. Probably the only tip we don't have on hand!
I bought a Kidde plug in gas and carbon monoxide detector with a read out, and with a battery back up and think that one will serve us better as we keep our propane tanks off 100% of the time.

Meanwhile I am thinking of just clipping the wires in the back of the Safe T Alarm to disable it permanently.

What do you think?

PJ
How do you plan to power the detector when you are not plugged in to AC? You may find it drains the internal batteries faster than expected - they are designed to power it during short power interruptions rather than extended periods of time. Looking at the specifications for the Nighthawk dual CO & explosive gas detector, it draws 60ma. A typical 9v battery can supply 600ma hours, or around 10 hours before you will need to replace it when not connected to AC.

Be sure to mount the new detector near the floor. Propane is heavier than air, while CO weighs about the same as air, so floor mounting is the preferred location.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:21 PM   #22

Name: Aaron
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Those star shaped screws are otherwise known as TORX they are becoming very common.
If your monitor was screwed on it is not factory we never used screw to attach the monitor, it was rivets, we love rivets.
AmcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:55 PM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Torx bits come in a LOT of sizes, you want to make sure the bit you use is snug in the screw, if its sloppy, its a size too small and could well strip the screw.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:43 PM   #24

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
A picture always helps....
Attached Thumbnails
propaneDet02.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #25

Nevada
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ47 View Post
Hello To the group,

This may have appeared before but I could not find it in the search forum.
We bought a used 2014 Parkliner and the fellow we bought it from paid for a battery monitor which he had no idea where it is was when we asked him. We have looked for it with no success. If anyone has this in their Parkliner and can share where it is we would greatly appreciate it.

PJ
I am not familiar with Parkliners, but it would seem a battery monitor would need to be mounted where you could see it. There are 2 types of battery monitors. The simplest only sense battery voltage (and temperature?). Better monitors sense battery current to via a shunt or other type of sensor. I would try tracing the cables from the battery to the controller. I would think this monitor would be located near the battery, but who knows! The shunt sensor on my monitor is located on the negative side of the battery before it is connected to chassis ground. Good luck finding it, and it is possible it never got installed.
egfasdsdsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
One of the problems finding the monitor is there are different definitions of a "battery monitor". A true battery monitor (at least in my opinion) requires a shunt that all the current going into & out of the battery passes through. The output of the shunt goes to a metering system that give you amps in or out of the battery, amp hours added or taken from the battery, voltage, and a percent full reading.

I've also seen plug in volt meters called battery monitors, as well as the display panels that give you tank levels & a string of LEDs that are suppose to show battery level.

Again, any one of these could be billed as a battery monitor, so I'd look around for any kind of readout.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, parkliner